UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December Ding Dongs (Merilly On High)

merledogs

well done Merledogs :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: hope the sick feeling soon passes :flowers:

Owl i am very sorry to hear Pollys fits are becoming more frequent :GroupHug: i think it is very sensible to separate them when left, hope the vet can find the cause :flowers:

my dad just fetched my subwoofer out of the loft for me :biggrin: so my noisy neighbours are now having a taste of The Foo Fighters :laugh: at a loud level..... hope she has a bl**dy stinking hangover too!

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vet thinks it's neurological, and due to brain deterioration from old age. Not a lot he can do. Various people I know have had old dogs with the same problem. The question is, do we go for the complete dental she is booked in for on Jan 9, or not? Her teeth are well yucky. Vet doesn't think the fits will increase the surgery risk, and her heart sounds very good.

hmmm tricky one Owl, i doubt the vet would risk putting Polly under if they didn't think she could handle it but there are always risks with GA even in fully fit dogs, does she need extractions or just scale and polish?? if it is the latter perhaps it could be done under sedation instead of full GA :unsure: it is very difficult but i suspect if the vet was at all concerned they wouldn't contemplate the dental :flowers:

im sorry about Polly. Its a tough call, but depends on how badly she needs the dental

the .... darlings were up all night running up and down the stairs barking because lewis wasnt here. knock out drops didnt work,so they will be increased next time hes out. im shattered

Phebe it's best to keep the girls separated as one dog can attack an another during or after a seizure. Archie started off be just being concerned whenever George had a fit but over time he changed and started trying to attack him. Of course I was there and soon put a stop too it but I had to keep the separate if ever I had to leave them - just in case. So I think, as always, you are being a wise owl flowers.gif

I have been to the pain clinic to see about my meds and whether they could, or should, be adjusted to help me sleep better due to my joint pain. I was taken aback at the doctor's recommendation to "take a nip of something" before going to bed. I asked him if he meant alcohol to which he replied yes and then said to the nursing sister sitting doing paperwork in the corner "don't you sometimes have a wee dram before retiring sister". She replied that she did especially after a stressful day. I just sat opened mouthed. Then I told him that I'm not much of a drinker and that I wasn't at all sure about taking alcohol every evening to aid sleep.

He told me he wasn't advocating me becoming an alcoholic just to take one measure of something nightly. Again, not quite believing what I was hearing, I questioned the wisdom of this and said my meds stated that I shouldn't take them with alcohol. His reply was "that's because it increases the drowsiness of the medication but that's what you need".

Isn't this a very slippery slope?

For poorly Polly Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

Marion - how old is your doc? Sounds like the sort of advice they would have dished out in the fifties wacko.gif

I've eaten way too much today and haven't much in anyway, so not sure what I'm having for tea. Can't use the oven anyway cos I'm baking dog biscuits from the dough I froze last weekend.

Phebe it's best to keep the girls separated as one dog can attack an another during or after a seizure. Archie started off be just being concerned whenever George had a fit but over time he changed and started trying to attack him. Of course I was there and soon put a stop too it but I had to keep the separate if ever I had to leave them - just in case. So I think, as always, you are being a wise owl flowers.gif

I have been to the pain clinic to see about my meds and whether they could, or should, be adjusted to help me sleep better due to my joint pain. I was taken aback at the doctor's recommendation to "take a nip of something" before going to bed. I asked him if he meant alcohol to which he replied yes and then said to the nursing sister sitting doing paperwork in the corner "don't you sometimes have a wee dram before retiring sister". She replied that she did especially after a stressful day. I just sat opened mouthed. Then I told him that I'm not much of a drinker and that I wasn't at all sure about taking alcohol every evening to aid sleep.

He told me he wasn't advocating me becoming an alcoholic just to take one measure of something nightly. Again, not quite believing what I was hearing, I questioned the wisdom of this and said my meds stated that I shouldn't take them with alcohol. His reply was "that's because it increases the drowsiness of the medication but that's what you need".

Isn't this a very slippery slope?

I can give you some good recipes :cool:

Sorry to hear that about Polly, Owl...has the vet given you anything for her to control them, or doesn't he think they are frequent enough?

Yantan, I take amitriptyline which is meant to help me sleep (painful joints too), and it says on the leaflet do not have alcohol as it will increase the effect...I've had a drink in the evening before bed some nights, not on others, and to be honest it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. A small glass of wine won't turn you into an alkie, and it is probably a lot less dangerous than keep upping the dose of sleeping tablets or whatever.

Edited by suzeanna

My aunt had a small glass of brandy every night before going to bed.

My paternal Grandma had a brandy every night before going to bed and my father's youngest brother had a whisky. Both lived into their nineties. My Dad who rarely drank alcohol died at 59.

Sorry to hear that about Polly, Owl...has the vet given you anything for her to control them, or doesn't he think they are frequent enough?

Yantan, I take amitriptyline which is meant to help me sleep (painful joints too), and it says on the leaflet do not have alcohol as it will increase the effect...I've had a drink in the evening before bed some nights, not on others, and to be honest it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference. A small glass of wine won't turn you into an alkie, and it is probably a lot less dangerous than keep upping the dose of sleeping tablets or whatever.

Thank you Suzeanna. I take amitriptyline too.

My GP sent me to the pain clinic for them to check out my dosage of painkillers and other meds to see if they could be tweaked any where for optimum advantage.

On my medical records a warning comes up that I have had an adverse reaction to Tramadol as my GP found out when she thought to prescribe it recently. Yet the doctor I saw today has prescribed it for me despite having seen the warning. I couldn't remember what form the adverse reaction took so he told me it can't have been that bad and I would probably be OK. It was back in 1997 and as I told him I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday so thinking back to 1997 was an impossibility. He gave me the prescription and then told me to ask my own doctor exactly what the adverse reaction was. Rather putting the cart before the horse I thought. I don't know whether to get the prescription filled or not until I find out more.

I just found the whole session odd. Some of the stuff he asked me or was telling me was making me hum the theme tune to the Twilight Zone in my head. I'd tell you about it but it would make for a very long post and I've probably bored you enough already - if indeed you've got this far.

Someone asked how old the doc was and I would say late 50's.

Lesley Trallwm had sent me a message to warn me about this possibility, so I thought it best to separate when I am out even though Wispa seems to think fitting is just another of the weird things which batty old pulis do. :rolleyes:

Polly may well need an extraction, she did at her last dental 3 years ago. She had brilliant teeth until she was 13 then they began to deteriorate.

Very wet and windy here. We escaped most of the extreme weather, with only 1 day of snow. My throat is sore and my joints ache so going to bed early with book. Must not get bug! Cheer up owl, soon be solstice :biggrin: