UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August Rmf

Laurel n Hardy

problem is the family "politics" naturally Nick & Vicky want people there that are important to them, that means fewer places for "relatives they rarely see" but trying to work that out and avoid offending people is already a nightmare.

Are those people really worth not offending though? I mean, honestly, these are people already defined as 'not important to Nick & Vicky' who is getting married here, them or their grandparents!

We invited nobody but our parents and my sister to the wedding, and mostly had friends at the reception - there was mucho offense taken by Marks' huge family, most of whom I'd not met and he'd not seen in years! The decent ones came round when we took them out for a drink later. The non decent ones are no loss IMHO!

They could have wedding party and close family/friends only for the ceremony and a meal, then an open party in the evening.

That is what my son and his partner did.

The hotel supplied the evening buffet, but it could be a bring a dish buffet if it was held somewhere else such as a community centre or a hall.

A work colleague specifically paid for her own wedding so it was her invite, not her parents, so that numbers could be restricted and she could invite who she wanted, not those who thought that they should be invited.

Her parents gave her money towards the deposit for her house , instead of paying for the wedding.

I think I just microwaved my chocolate pudding instead of conventionally cooked it :mecry:

Ref weddings: we didn't even invite parents and they were fab about it (to my amazement). Wasn't because I didn't love them or like spending time with them, we just didn't want a big wedding.

Griff - your ear must be driving you to distraction by now :GroupHug:

Snow - can I have linky to the place in Stockport please? :flowers:

3 days running :biggrin:

:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

RMF : We ended up going to Florida for our wedding (paid for by my dad). We only spent about £5k including paid flights for my bridesmaid, cousin and Aunt (and me and hubs of course). We got married on the golf course on the country club where my dad's villa is and had lunch in the club house, then back to the pool. Had a whale of a time and didn't have to put up with people we didn't want to put up with. Flowers, cake etc were SO much cheaper than here, and we rented the tux for the blokes. Had a fab holiday with family for the first week, then after the wedding went on a Caribbean cruise for five days, then a few more days in Florida and back home.

Marks son is getting married next week on a Friday and they say that saved them such a huge amount , his soon to be wife also ordered her lovely dress online from HongKong and had it tweaked at this end ( same for the bridesmaids ) and again saved hundreds if not more. BHS also do wedding stuff and I got my wedding shoes there

We got married in our local Church for a number of reasons but mainly because the Vicar was ( is ) a family friend and I had ( to return a favour ) been teaching at the Sunday school there for a few years prior to our wedding. The lovely congregation did loads for us to cut costs ( they recycled flowers and made lovely displays ) and 6 of them who could sing really well came along to lead the hymns which was fantastic. A lot of my sunday school charges turned up to see me outside which was really nice as well

As all of this was before online shopping laugh.gif we saved money by having a buffet instead of a sit down dinner and did not have a free bar , I did not have a wedding car ( my Neighbour worked for BMW and borrowed a test model for the afternoon ! )

There are loads of ways of making it cheaper they just need to decide what they will bend on and whats not negotiable , for me the Church service was not negotiable because we really wanted the lovely Vicar who meant so much to us to Marry us ( she was actually retired at that point and did us as a "special ) and because in those days my faith was actually very strong ( its wobbled a bit since then but I digress ) I loved my wedding and I would love to do it all over again biggrin.gif

now the wedding in front of ours now that was the wedding from hell and the police nearly had to be called laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

Ive never had the inclination to get married so no use what so ever Im afraid in that department.

I had to go and buy a new microwave today as my old one went pop. I aimed for something simple, although I have just done the statutory read through of the buttons and destructions. Im not much wiser but hopefully my jacket spud will be cooked in a few more mins :laugh:

Snow - can I have linky to the place in Stockport please? :flowers:

http://www.florentynadawn.co.uk/larger_sizes.htm - they aren't cheap mind but really lovely and unique things that you won't see in the usual shops.

Nick & Vicky have discussed off and on going to Vegas and getting married in the Little White Wedding Chapel by Elvis :laugh: we are all quite happy if they wanted to do that provided we can go too :biggrin: however, theres a small problem in that it might not be possible for her dad to go (medical condition) and her eldest sister (who raised her) is so mortally afraid of flying she cancelled her own foreign honeymoon and stayed in the UK instead ...soooooo.... tbh a church wedding is important to Vicky (but not so much to Nick) it's her family church, and she too has a strong connection with the vicar and her mum is in the churchyard so I can totally understand where she's coming from.