UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

August Rmf

Laurel n Hardy

Sam : meant to ask, how much has been raised for the microscope now? :flowers:

a rather stunning £744.00 biggrin.gif , once we can get to £1000 plus the gift aid we will be able to order it in from the supplier in Columbo ( with the exchange rate we need about £1250 )

flipping pricey things these microscopes but it will last 20 + years and we will use it daily

Ooh Kelly, I was there a week or so ago, it's a fab place. I loved the vulture flying demo in the afternoon, they are so beautiful on the wing, they were my favourites :wub:

It is great there I loved it. We went a number of years ago now and every time I drive past I think I must go again soon. It's only about 90mins from us I may convince OH to go soon when we both have a day off together. I don't think they had a vulture flying demo when we went - that would be great to see. They just had a talk by the vulture enclosure, but I learnt a lot - who knew vultures were so interesting? or pretty vital ether!

I know its fantastic here and great for pub quizzes

well pub quizzes with vets maybe

or vulture owners

or Dogstar quizzes

Hi everybody. Irish lurker here :wavey:

Apart from a few blips, I'm three weeks off the cigarettes. Still have terrible cravings but I'm trying to conquer them with some gentle exercises.

Very gentle hugs :GroupHug: to all hurty people

Flapping in and out all in a rush again. Thank you to whoever it was who explained all about my Indian vultures - that was exactly what I was rambling on about - they are also breeding vultures in a conservation place in Ireland to take back to India to replace the ones that have been eating my medication - and have supposedly stopped using my hurty shoulder medication (that does me no good) on cattle in India to prevent this happening again. Irish conservation place also had a flying vulture demo.

I think there was something on the radio or TV about this recently-ish (this year?) too. India not Ireland!

Apologies to all Fugees who thought I was just being nuttier than usual!

My workstation assessment was a flop ........ in that she said it was the first time she had ever NOT been able to suggest one single thing to improve my situation or tell me I was doing anything wrong. :unsure:

Physio-man tomorrow!

Sam, we need more peeps to donate £2 to the Microscope Fund. I'm going to try persuading people to buy chocolate and chilli cake from me next week ..........

a rather stunning £744.00 biggrin.gif , once we can get to £1000 plus the gift aid we will be able to order it in from the supplier in Columbo ( with the exchange rate we need about £1250 )

That is brilliant, finger crossed that it gets to the amount needed (and more) soon :flowers:

Hi everybody. Irish lurker here :wavey:

Ello Irish person :wavey:

Mrs B : we're all used to your barmyness here, it's why you fit in :wink: I hope your hurtiness is better soon :GroupHug:

RMF : I am nursing a nedache and have put jacket spuds in the oven for tea, to be had with butter, cheese, sour cream and tomato sauce.

Sam, we need more peeps to donate £2 to the Microscope Fund. I'm going to try persuading people to buy chocolate and chilli cake from me next week ..........

wow chocolate and chilli cake now that sounds fantastic , thank you for helping raise those extra pennies biggrin.gif we have never tried to raise such a large sum in one go ( and meet our day to day costs ) and its flipping hard but its so going to be worth it when we get that microscope biggrin.gif

I am officially sad. I rashly donated half my dinner to OH on the basis that I didn't feel hungry and he said he was still starving. I am now ravenous and have a tiny amount of food :mecry:

He smarmed me by saying how delicious it was :rolleyes:

On a :mad: note. The entire physio department at my hospital seems to be on leave as I've had no date for my residential spa week (sorry, intensive physio stay) and cannot get hold of anyone. I can't go on holiday in summer and think it most unreasonable that anyone else does.

It's diclofenac that has been killing vultures - it's used extensively in cattle in India. It's very much like ibuprofen which I *think* may also kill vultures and that is obviously despensed to peoples. The problem in India is that the dead cattle are left out in the open the vultures eat and then die if the cow has been treated with diclofenac.

I learnt this at the hawk conservancy in andover, hampshire where they are part of a research whotsit to try to prevent the extinction of these vultures (they are at real risk).

OMG!!! My doc has been giving me cow medicine thats also vulture poison :ohmy:

Update on chooks, day 4 of missing neighbours, the streets resident fox has been hanging around and the chooks are real noisy. No one has been into them as I asked other neighbours if they had seen anyone and my 3 would have let me know if someone was within 50 feet of our house. I will be having a quiet word with them on their return, offering to look after the chickens if they decide to go away in the future.

Thank you to whoever it was who explained all about my Indian vultures - that was exactly what I was rambling on about - they are also breeding vultures in a conservation place in Ireland to take back to India to replace the ones that have been eating my medication - and have supposedly stopped using my hurty shoulder medication (that does me no good) on cattle in India to prevent this happening again.

I volunteer at the RSPB this is their info re vultures and diclofenac

http://www.rspb.org.uk/supporting/campaigns/vultures/diclofenac.asp

Thanks everyone who provided vulture info. :flowers:

It is a big meteor show tonight, best night for the Perseids. And the sky has just clouded over :mad: Polly and I have just given up and come in, but Wispa is still down the rough end of the garden in a patch of nettles. If I shout or whistle I will set off other people's dogs and no one will thank me for it. I may end up having to find wellies and brave the nettles. I know exactly what she is up to - she has found her beloved ejog and is waiting for it to uncurl. As it doesn't want wet slobbery kisses, it will stay rolled up.