UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Observations

Yantan

Moaning :tired:

That house looks lovely owl - nice big garden, good kitchen/dining space for leaving wet dogs, off road parking and you wouldn't have to do a thing to it. That price as well, flippin' heck! No chain as well.

Edited by merledogs

House looks fab Owl, hope it's just what you want.

I am having a massive clean up as Ben is away and I am not working. Such a great feeling.

hope you got your Iceland food Jazz, we used to use Iceland when I was a kid but I think it was called Bejams then.

Morning. Yes, it was a good day.

The episode with the husky was an astounding bit of luck. I had just come to the junction where our estate meets the main road out of Worksop into Clumber Park on the north side of Sherwood Forest. There in the middle of road was a beautiful young husky bitch, skipping about in traffic. So I put hazards on and waved the traffic down, knowing I had no chance of catching her put hoping to head her off down a pedestrian walkway which led into a labyrinth of new houses with only one road leading out.

Another lady saw what I was doing and helped me, then drove her big 4WD into the walkway entrance after the husky to stop her getting out that way. Phone calls to dog warden and Doglost HQ put me in contact with owner and search party, so we got people covering the road access to the little estate. I had to whizz off to meet estate agent so missed the finale, where a team of council workers joined in to head the husky into a garden and close the gate. Result!

The good thing was that no one chased her, no one shouted, no one hooted car horn. Everyone kept calm and used their heads. Husky had been on the run for 3 days from Kiveton Park 5 miles away. She probably came along the canal path. She had only been put on Doglost a few minutes before, so I didn't know she was missing.

Edited by owl
  • Like 1

this weekend sees the last flying Vulcan making its farewell tour so I will be watching it tomorrow as it flies within a mile of my house.

they were all built at Woordford which is just down the road from where I am.

after that its picking as much of my Damson crop as I can freeze ready to make jam chutenys wine and gin, not neccesarily in that order of course.

oh and Cliffy was sound asleep head on the pillow all tucked in the bed (my bed) when i woke up; cheeky monkey ! :)

Good for Cliffy, getting the best spot!

Owl. that's fantastic news, both on the house front and for helping catch the dog. We went to the local RSPCA this morning..I'd seen a brindle lurcher on their website. We thought him too noisy at it happens, but we wandered along looking at the other dogs and one was so very pleased to see us..not joining in the barks of the others, just pushing up against the front of her kennel and looking hopeful. Few small snags (ahem!) We went looking for a male. She's a bitch. We wanted another pointy dog, and preferably about five years old or so. She's 10 months and a GSDx Rottie, looks much more GSD than rottie though. We expressed interest, and Philip took her for a walk round the field..said she's strong and pulls like a train but did respond to commands and looked at him when he talked to her. Would we be totally barmy? (That's assuming Rosie gets on with her, of course.)

• Like 1

Lauryl and Hardy, the vulcan was here earlier in september...it really is spectacular, i was like a geek stood at the front window of the house...all the neighbours came out too, we live really close to baginton airport so we often get treated to wonderful views of old planes

Suzeanna, sometimes a dog just grabs you...nothing you can do about it Lol get her in a harness and double ended lead and plenty of treats and you will be fine.... i used to manage to walk my old pair on a coupler in one hand with my crutch in the other...just training and perserverance. Just a word of warning.....it can come as quite a shock how mental the young ones are when you have had older dogs, i was sooooooooooo shocked when we got kota but adding deags was a walk in the park

I have a gsd /golden retriever cross who is very much gsd and what a lovely nature she has. She responds immediately to a recall- more than 10 year Murphy does!

She can be strong on the lead but does respond to voice checks.

She is very responsive to training as long as it is hands off. She freezes if you try to handle her into position. She was two years old when she came into rescue so probably has hang ups from her previous home.

She knew come, sit, wait ( did not know 'stay') and her name. That was it, but she has learned lots since coming here and picks things up very quickly.

When I got Murphy I was looking for a middle aged , golden retriever bitch. He was a 12 week old male black collie/golden retreiver cross who is very much collie.

As Griff says sometimes a dog just happens.

I hope Rosie gets on with her.