UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Observations

Yantan

Morning - I'm back having survived Centre Parcs lol It has brought it home that neither of us is as young as we think we are - although Rob kept up with everything including carrying his bike up the steps of the flipping biiiiiiig hill instead of cycling up it on one occasion. Both of us though were prone to uttering ooo ahhh gaspppp owwwww every time we had to start moving again after short stops and we both had our own dawn choruses of grunts and groans as we started to move in the mornings after the previous days activities :laughingsmiley: An awful lot of the things we had booked for Owen and the activities Nick and Rob wanted to do were at Jardin Du Sports - down that flipping biiiiiiig hill so we ended up going up and down it rather a lot, you had 2 choices walk up the steps carrying your bike or cycle up the zig zag wooden board walk paths, had I not had the mobility scooter I wouldn't have made it down even once let alone back up again the mobility scooter was down to a snails pace by the time it got half way up and a few times I wasn't sure if it would get me to the top. Poor Rob did it 3 times in one day as he went kayaking with Nick and the kayak leaked so he got wet through so had to go back to the lodge to change into dry clothes. Owen was a delight though exhausting as he never ever stopped, he loved feeding the ducks that came to the lodge every morning, and he thought the sea lions and meercats at Longleat were wonderful, however he slept like a log all through the safari park and missed everything including the monkeys chewing grampys car aerial :laughingsmiley: (after we'd persuaded Rob that it would be fine to go through the monkey park :whistle: ) Food prices there though are extortionate - we'd been warned in advance but I'd thought maybe they'd be slightly higher than usual not the huge hike in prices that they actually were. It was costing us close on £40 each meal for just the 2 of us and that was basic fish and chips or burger and chips and a coke each nothing fancy so I'm glad I thought to take a few things with us so we could have a couple of meals in the lodge to keep the cost down. Its a fab place to go for families but its not somewhere Rob and I would choose to go on a holiday on our own its really for younger people and when it rains (which it did the first 2 days) then you get very very wet and muddy and its hard to get things dry. The swimming pool was fantastic though and to everyones surprise Rob loved the rapids and went down them over and over again - even more than Nick did :laugh: (mind you he's got a heck of a collection of bruises to show for it). I'm going to miss having the scooter now we're home it was just so handy and meant I was able to take part in pretty much everything they wanted to do. I might look into getting a portable one now we're home as they didn't have them at Longleat and I did struggle that day but if I'd had my own I'd have been fine.

Video of someone walking up the hill so you can see how long and steep it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04ov7-c29Sc

Came back to some worrying news though both Nick & Vicky work for the same independent chain of pharmacies and while they were away the boss announced he's sold out to a large chain and both their jobs are now at risk & they won't know any more until Monday.

I hope their jobs are safe xxxx

I went to centre parcs once for kims hen weekend. not just the thick snow and ice, but just walking from the 'disabled lodge' to the centre was ages away, the others got impatient, id definitely need a scooter. they go all the time but I don't go

The scooter worked well Alicia, and it made things much more accessible for me - albeit that its not quite as fast as the bikes so Rob struggled to keep his speed down to stay with me, in the end I just told him to go at a comfy speed for him and I'd catch up lol Without the scooter I wouldn't have been able to take part in anything, the distances between the lodges and the venues was quite a walk and the land train stops are still a fair walk from the venues or lodges. The only slight drawback to the scooter was that you have to leave it outside the lodge and charge it through the large lounge window overnight - which meant the window had to stay open which made it very cold in the lodge during the night and first thing in the morning.

When we were in Canada we went ot Grouse Mountain where you can do th Grouse Grind- a mountain trail of 2, 830 steps!

It is so steep that you are not allowed to come down - or turn back- as it is too dangerous either to fellow hikers ( the trail is narroww) or for the effect it would have on your joints.. So if you decide to start you must continue up.

The avearge time to climb it is 1.5 hours, 2 hours for novices, but the course record is 23 minutes and 48 secs.

Over 150,000 people do it each year.

We took the sky ride and the chair lift up to the top then sat and watched them finishing!

The reactions varied from exhausted and relieved to be there to ecstatic and punching the air.

There were all ages from teenage to one old boy, who looked about 90 years , who finished in good shape.

People got a big cheer when they arrived.

When we were in Canada we went ot Grouse Mountain where you can do th Grouse Grind- a mountain trail of 2, 830 steps!

It is so steep that you are not allowed to come down - or turn back- as it is too dangerous either to fellow hikers ( the trail is narroww) or for the effect it would have on your joints.. So if you decide to start you must continue up.

The avearge time to climb it is 1.5 hours, 2 hours for novices, but the course record is 23 minutes and 48 secs.

Over 150,000 people do it each year.

We took the sky ride and the chair lift up to the top then sat and watched them finishing!

The reactions varied from exhausted and relieved to be there to ecstatic and punching the air.

There were all ages from teenage to one old boy, who looked about 90 years , who finished in good shape.

People got a big cheer when they arrived.

Like you we took the sky ride and chair lift up and we were both a lot fitter and younger then but didn't fancy it at all for some reason LOL

There are times my stairs knacker me, I certainly couldn't do what Rob did Snow..or the Canadian thing!

Sadly the meeting between our Rosie and Sky didn't pan out...Sky is very very full on, and although Rosie does stand her ground usually, she was obviously very scared, and started growling. As the difference in size is definitely in Sky's favour, we didn't feel it fair to Rosie to take a risk. Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Yay I am back!

Thanks Snow it was router trouble as you suggested. We'd hard wired our Sky box and that had knocked things silly, it's taken me until now to sort it as I was inundated with work.

Glad you enjoyed your hols :flowers:

Owl I am delighted you ended up finding something so nice. There's certainly plenty of room inside and out for Wispa's Tigger impressions. Fingers crossed that this one goes without any further hitches :flowers:

Sorry not to reference anyone else but I've gotta go!

Thanks Yantan. It's good to see you back.

Sorry to hear it didn't work out, Suzeanna.

I am feeling a complete wreck today as a result of all the stress, decisions and a U-turn in one week exactly. It was a week to the exact hour from getting the scary electrical report to getting my bid accepted on the other house. As long as I was running on adrenalin and thinking on my feet I was OK. Now it's over I feel very shaken up.