UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Observations

Yantan

That's exciting!

I have just received the electrical report on new house. The electrics are rubbish and might blow us from here to eternity. Total cost of rewiring 3 1/2 K. Plus replastering. Off to estate agent now to start haggling.

Loving the title!!!!!!!

Ooooooo how exciting Jayne

Oh dear Owl, lets hope they drop the price to cove the cost of the work

i have got my dads lurgy... i am not happy, he is taking me to the chemist when he gets home so i can purchase a load of cough medicine, why is it when i say to him...you have the lurgy go away he says no i haven't so won't go away from me, if i get something i leg it upstairs and keep my germs to myself

Good luck with the negotiations Owl. That's what survey's are for. We had an awful struggle with the last owner of our house. It had a very negative survey, so much so in fact that we really did think about pulling out and especially when he wasn't willing to reduce the price to cover the work that needed done.

Ruby ended up giving him an ultimatum and left him in no doubt that we would walk away and he finally caved but not the level we had hoped. At the time there was virtually nothing else in town we could afford and we really wanted a house with a little garden like this one has which is a huge bonus in this town at the price level we could afford. We took care of the most immediate problems once we took ownership and then attended to the other stuff as and when we could afford it. We couldn't afford to buy this house now. It's now worth 3 times what we paid for it 15 years ago.

Glad you like the title Griff. I was wondering if I had got a previous October threat title in my head so that we've already had this one? I came up with a really good one before this but by the time I got the PC fired up I had forgotten it :rolleyes:

I'm also going to NYC next month Jayne. 6 weeks today in fact! Hasn't it come round fast?

I have left estate agent, who was somewhat horrified, with copy of electrical survey and she will be talking to vendors. If they don't either do the work or drop the price I will back out. There are other houses in same village in better shape for lower prices. They don't back on to the nature reserve but they are very close. It is coming to end of selling season and vendors are dropping prices.

Get well soon, people with lurgies xx

It's not just the cost, but the fact that I would need to put everything into storage and find somewhere to stay for a while until the work was done. Not only electrics but plastering. I don't think I have the strength to do all that. Need to move from here straight into a habitable house and stay there!

Owl are you in a chain? Does your buyer need to move in straight away? I'm just asking because when we had to have some of the work done on this house prior to moving in we were able to rent our old one back from the new owners. There was no need to pack our stuff up, put it in store, then get it back and unpack as we stayed put after we had exchanged until we were ready to go.

Another thing, you could have the removal company do all the packing up for you and take it to storage so you don't physically have to do it. It's quite pricey but my friend did this first when she moved back down south 2 years ago and then again when she moved again earlier this year. She's in her 80's and physically frail and couldn't do it herself. I know that doesn't solve the problem of finding somewhere temporary to live but thought I would mention it anyway.

Oh, oh just thought! Is there anyway you could do house-sitting for either friends or family or through a commercial company? That would solve the temporary housing situation.

Also if you have any doubts then pull out. You will find something else you like and if you press your solicitors the whole process can be accomplished a lot faster than the time they tend to take. I sold one house and from the day the offer was accepted it took just 5 weeks until we were handing the keys over to the new owners.

Best of luck and I hope you find a relatively easy way to sort this out.