UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

September's Sibilant Susurration

merledogs

Awww, Archie - hope he is feeling better soon. Sorry to hear you are losing your dog walker though :(

Hope you enjoyed your foot treatment Loo :flowers:

Hope Timmy is still feeling ok today Alex :flowers:

Ted woke me up this morning at 7.45 by frantically pawing me in the face. I turned over to look at the clock, just as he had a poo on my bed :rolleyes: Ted has never had the best control over his tummy, but at least it was firm :laugh:

Am getting a portrait done of Blue by my riding instructor, who is also a trained artist. She came up to the yard on Thursday to take some photos of him to use to draw the picture. Decided this morning which one I am going to use - am super excited to see it.

temporary_zpsc37d532f.jpg

This is the photo she is going to use :wub:

• Like 3

He is very distinctive :luvlove:

Hope you an find another dog walker, Marion. Tell Archie he has sensible taste in cars, and please would he have a word with Wispa. After larging it all weekend in a Toyota Landcruiser she didn't want to get into the Berlingo when it was time to go home. and marched to the Toyota indicating quite clearly that we should take it and presumably leave ours for our hosts. I don't think they would have been very happy and it could never have pulled their double horsebox. And mummy owl couldn't climb into one of those monsters without a stairlift! We have been busy bees down in Surrey, searching for a norty patterdale who escaped her walker and jumped into the river Mole, and was last seen swimming briskly downstream. Thankfully she seems to have made her way back to the place she went awol, there were very fresh scent trails there on Friday and different fresh ones on Saturday, and again today. One of the resident dogs, a very intelligent labradoodle, has started tracking her also and is determined to find his little friend.

I did ok driving on the M25 :cheer: which is a small step for most southerners but a huge leap for an owl.

Evening

Gosh Blue is a stunner.

Glad you managed the M25 ok Owl. I hate driving on it too.

Hope Archie is better tomorrow and sorry to hear your dog walkers are leaving soon. It's a shame you haven't a neighbour, or dog walking friend who could give you a hand. Would Eileen of Trailhound Trust know of anyone I wonder.

Loo hope you enjoyed having your tootsies done. I hate anything to do with feet so wouldn't be my thing either.

Weather has been dreary here but stayed dry long enough so we could get a bit of the garden done. We have quite a few tiny frogs still. Have no idea if the bees are still around. We haven't dare go anywhere near that area. Does anyone know if they will be or not?

Thanks guys, he does scrub up well sometimes, although is currently resembling a bog pony as he is out 24/7! he did get his name from his Blue eye, his eye on the other side is brown though!

Well done for driving on the M25, I wouldn't like to do it - the M60 is bad enough!

Back in France, still wet and dreary here though with additional thunderstorms. Hence why I'm still up at silly o'clock as Tiffy can't settle while they're going on.

Blue is gorgeous. I've never really had much to do with horses though I do love them. There are loads round here in various fields - though they seem to just stay for a short time. Guy down the lane is a horse dealer I think. They all seem in great condition though so don't think it is anything dodgy.

Hope Archie's tum is better Maz and that you can find a good dog walker soon. Trouble is those ones have spoiled you!

Michelle - how did Fergus and Scoobs get on at the vets? We still have loads of bees around here. Including a black carpenter bee which totally fascinates me as I'd never seen one before. Thought it was a flying beetle at first till I saw it close up. It's really beautiful, with blue wings.

For the first time ever I've succesfully grown sun flowers and the birds are going mental over them now they are going to seed. I was carefully deadheading them and trying to harvest the seeds to put on the birdtable but I needn't have bothered - the birds are going direct to the flowers and having a takeaway. I'm learning a lot about nature this past year lol!

Sorry for those I've missed - still going back and forward to Eastbourne for my Dad so just dipping in and out of here when I can but thinking of you all.

Hello Eve (if you're still up) :wavey:

Moaning :tired:

Oh what a shame, my work laptop isn't ready still so I'm having to work from home again. Just as well cos I'd be getting in the shower about now if I had to go into work as it's an hour's journey door to door and an 8am start.

Have a look here Michelle for some info on bumble bees :flowers:

Blue is gorgeous. I've never really had much to do with horses though I do love them. There are loads round here in various fields - though they seem to just stay for a short time. Guy down the lane is a horse dealer I think. They all seem in great condition though so don't think it is anything dodgy.

Not sure which area of France you are in Eve but it is very likely that if there is a frequent turnover of horses the "dealer" is just keeping the horses until the butcher does his rounds but I hope I am wrong.

They said torrential rain last night and torrential is what we certainly had, it woke me up at 6am lashing against the windows. Thankfully it has now stopped although its apparently coming back later...

I have a mobile hairdresser coming this morning to retouch my roots and give me a fringe as I'm fed up with the front being so long that all I can do with it is tuck it behind my ears. I'm always slightly nervous about a new hairdresser especially one that I just found by googling so no personal recomendations etc. but I was quoted £75 -£90 in the salon my mil uses and thats supposed to be cheap! The moble lady has quote £40 so its worth a gamble ..... *wibble* I need to get it done before my sil's wedding so don't have a lot of choice.

I am so excited! We have a hedgehog in the garden :)

Archie was going into a corner all last week and yipping. I didn't allow him to do it for long as I brought him in every time he started. I was hoping it was a hedgehog but didn't want to go rootling about in there in case it wasn't and it was something nasty that I'd rather not know about.

Anyway he started barking last night using his cat bark so I rushed out and almost stood on a hedgehog - he or she had been getting a drink from a metal bowl I leave out for Archie to catch rainwater as he loves to drink that in preference to the stuff out of the tap. I got Archie in and brought out a shallower dish for the hedgehog to drink from and gave it a handful of dried mealworms then came in to leave it in peace. When I checked an hour later all the mealworms had gone and there was no sign of the hedgie. I hope it sticks around. We had one once before but we only saw it once or twice so I think it was just passing through. This one has been around for a week or so I reckon and as I always scatter some mealworms around for ground feeding birds I think it's probably been polishing those up. I shall now be leaving extra at night.

Does anyone know what else I can leave out for it to eat? I remember hearing that cat food was OK only as an occasional treat as it otherwise has a too high fat content (and in any case I don't have any)

• Like 1

I am so excited! We have a hedgehog in the garden :)

Does anyone know what else I can leave out for it to eat? I remember hearing that cat food was OK only as an occasional treat as it otherwise has a too high fat content (and in any case I don't have any)

They eat worms , slugs, snails, insects- so mealwoms are good

You can buy hedgehog food but here is a recipe for hedgehog dinner http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/hedgehog-dinner.html

It will be thinking about hibernating soon so a suitable place would encourage it to stay around.

I see there has been a protest about the opencast mining which suzeanna was telling us about:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-19685962

Wispa is still shattered and doing a marathon sleep. I had to haul her out into the back garden in pouring rain this morning much against her wishes because I was afraid she would do herself a damage if she held on for much longer. She certainly looked happier afterwards.

It's a good day to be working from home Alex, tis a bit grim out there!

I've got to take my car to the garage today and I really don't want to walk back in this weather, if ever there was a PJ day I'm pretty sure it's meant to be today!

You're not wrong there!

RMF : I have a portable hard drive which has loads of stuff on there which I use regularly. My work laptop used to recognise it, but this laptop doesn't and wants to format it every time I connect it up, which would then wipe all my data. So I have spent half the morning digging out my old desktop from years ago, then had to find the keyboard and then spent an hour hunting for a mouse :rolleyes: Managed to get it up and running and it recognises my drive, so I can download the data I need. Phew!

It's horrid here but I have to go out. I ordered over £400 worth of stuff from Next yesterday cos I was bored. I have to pick it up from the Next clearance shop near me. I guarantee that 99% of it will be going straight back so I really don't know why I bothered :rolleyes:

Edited by merledogs