UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Fireside Chat

Yantan

they have been. I told the office I had dogs, so they sent 2 people who were scared of them, so I had to put them outside. they just quietened down when the big man went and stared at them through the door making them all bark. I asked him to move, the lady told him. he just stood there. I wasn't going to tell them off when it was his fault

Cold day today. Archie and I were out early for our walk. We pet a tourist walking her in-season dog. She commented on the "reindeer playing in the field" that could be seen on part of the walk. I told her they were in fact roe deer and weren't playing but just doing their daily thing of looking for something to eat. It was like when we were at Monkey World and some young women were discussing whether or not the monkeys they were looking at were chimpanzees or not - they were! How do these types manage to go navigate life?

Some people are relatively uninterested in wildlfe, I suppose. I was once asked to help a terrified neighbour who had a big scary bird with big claws and a curved beak in her bedroom sitting on her bed rail. I thought I had better do a quick check before looking for a bird of prey handler. Peeked cautiously round the door expecting to dodge a faceful of raptor, and saw ... a racing pigeon.

Good news there Owl, just be careful if there's any snow your way.

I was saddened to read that not only can few children recognise different birds, neither can a lot of adults! Also that the junior dictionary is dropping words like bluebells and several others I've forgotten (senior moment) because they aren't relevant to children today. Someone at my husband's work was getting herself really upset about the cruelty of using deer antlers for ornaments, she was amazed when he pointed out they aren't wrenched from the animal's head, they shed them naturally!

Children do enjoy nature and wildlife if they are given the chance. There are lots of activities for them at our reserve, and the cafe has a children's corner with books, paper, crayons, animals and birds to colour in. Very popular. We also have a fenced off area of woodland specially for children, with wood sculptures of creatures which they can climb.

Snow has not settled for long here, the North Notts microclimate again.

we had the strongest winds ever in the night. it sounded like a tube train going past

honey isn't well. shes been going off her food, now she cant jump onto the sofa or bed, and she screams if I touch her. ive given her metacam. shes terrified out of the house, so taking her to the vets isn't an option as shes so freaked out there

Does your vet do home visits Jazz?

Yes indeed children do love nature if they are given the chance to learn and experience it. Evie is very clued up.She goes foraging with her mum and knows what you can eat and what you can't in the wild. She wasn't 3 when she stopped me from going in to look at some fungi (I wasn't going to touch it but she didn't know that) telling me "no, no". I'm glad the nature reserve has great facilities for kids Owl.

My niece-in-law is a teacher and her first post was at a junior school in the north east. She was appalled to find out that the majority of the children did not know what vegetables were! She started a little gardening club where the kids grew veggies which they would eat raw or my n-in-l would have cooking classes where they steamed, roasted or made soup from the veg. The kids loved it.

Did you all go on nature walks when you were in junior school? I remember those walks so well. We were taught about the various species of tree and wild plants, collect fallen leaves to make pictures with, spot birds and learn how to recognise them by their plumage, size and song and so many other things. This was 50 plus years ago. Oh now I feel old!

we never went on nature walks Yantan but would be taken outside to collect leaves acorns etc, our school trips where most of the classes went to amusement parks we were taken to a sewage works Lol...i kid you not, it was a good laugh, 20 odd 9 year olds running amok making poo jokes

Gable end got blew off a house here and the local hospital has a panel hanging off it

pleased the car passed it's mot Owl

I was surprised to hear that a lot of children don't know where vegetables and meat and milk come from...i think it is shocking of the parents not to educate them. I used to teach my mates little ones all sorts of stuff, i can remember her telling him to look at the monkey and it was an orangutan, he was about 2 and i made the point of teaching him how to say it and where they lived, the pair of us used to go round the shops pointing stuff out and saying where it grew, the market was a fave as there were world food there so we could point at stuff and ask the stall holders and quite often they would let the little ones try a bit of new fruit...i saw a pamelo yesterday for the first time...not a clue what it was so i have looked it up online

Edited by griff

My primary school was a tiny village school with two classrooms, and we frequently went on walks to collect leaves, flowers, birds eggs(oops!) etc. and when we came back we pressed them into our books and had to write the name of whatever we'd found. Philip's brother George is a retired microbiologist, but has always had a big interest in botany and he leads groups for the Surrey Botanical Society. They do encourage children to join in with them.

• Like 2

hand on heart, if i ever have kids, they will be NERDS!! lol, they will have the proper old toys, blocks, jigsaws etc, they will have tonnes of books and will be free to use their imagination, they will also learn where stuff comes from and they will try new foods...my brother was 18months and mum and dad were out for a meal he was pointing at the cheese selection and mum asked which he wanted, he pointed to stilton, the waitress said "oooo he won't eat that" mum said well we are paying so he can try it....he scoffed all that was put in front of him (personally i say yack!!) i think it is good to challenge childrens minds and let them try different things, that is one major thing that Steve and i have in common...we both have been raised with Manners and politeness and the pair of us moan to each other about parents just shoving a phone in front of their child when it cries instead of talking to it or trying to find out what is actually wrong and there are only a few round here who actually teach their little ones to say please and thankyou...i find that kind of sad...moan over Lol

• Like 1