UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Fireside Chat

Yantan

Good thought Suzeanna about the bath idea for Owl. I concur :jammin:

We are trying to get Archie to use George's steps but he flat out refuses. We have to give him a budge up from time to time so he can get on his sofa, depending on what's he being doing and how tired he is. He has difficulty getting on our beds and often falls. He can generally get into my car before a walk but needs a hand getting in afterwards. He wears a harness with a handle on it so I can help him up. Anybody got any tips on how to get him to use the steps?

Good thought Suzeanna about the bath idea for Owl. I concur :jammin:

We are trying to get Archie to use George's steps but he flat out refuses. We have to give him a budge up from time to time so he can get on his sofa, depending on what's he being doing and how tired he is. He has difficulty getting on our beds and often falls. He can generally get into my car before a walk but needs a hand getting in afterwards. He wears a harness with a handle on it so I can help him up. Anybody got any tips on how to get him to use the steps?

Maybe teach him to step on a box or a small stool for a treat. Once he will do that transfer it to the steps.

Do it in the house until he is happy to go up them. You could put them against the couch to encourage him to use them. Take them out to the car once he will use them inside.

My retriever had spinal arthritis and I tried to get her to use a ramp. No way would she use despite the fact that she had done agility and loved going up onto the dog walk. I also tried steps made from a folding crate with carpet on the top but again she skipped over it.

She didn't like being lifted so I taught her to put her front paws up on the boot and then I hoiked the back end in. Coming out I put my hand under her torso as she jumped out and supported her down to give a soft landing.

When Candy hurt one of her back legs and couldn't jump onto the settee I bought a floor cushion/pouffe thing, it halved the height she had to jump. When our late very big GSD's hips were giving him grief we had to lift him in and out of the car, not an easy feat as he was a very heavy lad. We tried a ramp for him, but he didn't like it. Worse thing I've tried getting up a ramp was a balky pony that didn't want to go into a horse box! Took three of us and a lot of pushing (and a moderate amount of bad language!)

Edited by suzeanna
  • Like 1

Thanks for suggestions, but baths are not good for owls! I always shower as baths even with Epsom salts make me stiffen up afterwards and make any bug worse.

Jazz, I am certain there is no real injury done, but thanks for your concern.Just need to get myself better so I can go to Angela's funeral/life celebration next Thursday in Hull.

morning all

can we have a roll call to check your all ok please?

I think we do need to have a couple of people each to be able to contact so we are all ok

my coffee has changed, now I have a cupboard full. don't like it. I shall be ringing them tomorrow