UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Fireside Chat

Yantan

Neighbour at one side of us has given her dog away. Apparently to a customer, an old lady, at the shop where she works. I hope it's true as she has a history of taking dogs to be put to sleep when she grows tired of them. The poor little thing had no life. The neighbour works full time, has a house full of ever changing lodgers and never, ever took the dog out. She's a little chi x JRT about 6 years old so I hope the story about a doting elderly new owner is true as hopefully the little thing will have a better life.

And then the neighbour at tuther side had her 8 year old blue merle PTS after a sudden illness. She took the dog to the vet and they discovered that the poor thing was full of tumours and to prolong her life would have been cruel. Neighbour still has one dog left but I hope she doesn't get another as she doesn't exercise or train them properly. She says she's not getting another but we'll see what happens.

Oh and then neighbour on opposite side has a dog (same brand as our very own Wispa) who went lame. It turned out to be rather a drastic injury to his shoulder and he's having lots of physio, hydro and is wearing a brace with just 5 minute on lead walks. It's costing a fortune to have him treated but fortunately they kept the insurance up that the rescue gave them a free month for. They've had him a while now and I think he's about 5 so has many years ahead of him. They are travelling many miles to get him to his appointments and are doing right by him.

Same brand as Wispa? Surely not a lurcher x GSP? I am assuming you mean a GSP. Not easy to deal with a 5 yr old limited to 5 minute on lead walks. They are not the best patients. Wishing him a good recovery.

I am still fighting this bug. One normal active day and bad throat is back. Very frustrating.

He is a GSP Owl with a touch of something else according to the rescue. I hope you feel better soon!

Tis a miserable grey wet day here.

Archie has just asked me to be out. He was out not 5 minutes ago. I opened the door and he stood in the threshold looking at the rain before deciding not to go. Now a minute later he's asking to be out again. This is how I spend my time most days :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Bus driver friend Mel in Sheffield sent urgent request for help - she stopped to let passengers off and 2 ickle pomeranian pups climbed on board, unaccompanied and with no intention of paying. Bus was held up while messages flew round facebook, someone was on way with scanner, then their people were found and came to collect them. They had been looking everywhere.

• Like 2

Yantna, that's how Molly is with Steve...she never used to want to go out and Max was always out there...no matter what the weather, now, she is in and out all the time for nothing but a sniff at the door and back in on the sofa. Funnily enough, she is a lab x german pointer, she is the most lovely grey/brown dappled colour with a cute brown beard Lol

Hhahahah, bless those pups wanting a day out, it's common here for dogs to jump on the bus alone, there is an american bulldog who gets on the bus and climbs upstairs and sits on the back seat and staffs are little monsters for it

Jazz, hope you get some sleep.

Boosters for deagan tonight, pleased she is good at the vets

• Like 2

I have been out checking sheep this morning. We go out from the main reserve in small teams to check on our groups of Herdwicks and Hebrideans who are circulated among smaller reserves dotted all over Notts. They graze the wildflower meadows. There are also some of ours at Newstead Abbey, once the home of Lord Byron. We went to one of the fields there to find it sheep-less, with a fence down. 34 Hebrideans had legged it into acres of thick woodland. They are jet black, small and very fast. Glad it is not my job to locate them. Shepherdess went out with collies. I don't yet know if she had any luck.

• Like 1

I think it was her dogs who found them. The sheep there are easy to lead, once located, as they follow a bucket of sheep nuts.

Our shepherdess is very pretty and wears her hair in 2 plaits which is quite Bo Peep, but there the resemblance ends. She is tall and athletic and can flip sheep over to do their feet with no effort.