UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Fireside Chat

Yantan

I hope its gone well Jazz.

I am touch typing this as my eyes are still blurry from the drops they put in at my eye check.

Well after all your talk of how good Lidl is I am going to call in at the one at Maryport when I go to the dentist on the 24th so I can size it up.

Hope you like Lidl, Yantan. Al lot of stuff is German but they do carry some UK brands at well.

I find their fruit and veg is fresher and lasts longer than the supermarket stuff. It is generally cheaper too- at least to the prices up here.

Their non food goods change every week to 10 days so you learn to buy when you can as it may not be there next week.

Apparantly, they had record breaking Christmas sales.

I hate these eye drops. They sting.

I am fed up with the cold. Could spring come please?

We celebrate our Golden Wedding next month and have booked to go back to the Scilly Isles where we spent our honeymoon. At least it should be be warmer there.

• Like 1

I love the Scillies. I've only been once many years ago but Ruby used to live there. We have a friend who is a born and bred Scillonian but she can't afford to live on the islands so she's stranded on the mainland

The gardens on Tresco are indeed wonderful. We island hopped which was brill.

We will go back one of these days!

Well I've had an interesting morning as we have had a power cut. The house was SO quiet. It was rather nice but I soon got cold.

We will be staying in St Marys.

Last time we flew over by helicopter. I was horrified as It looked like a piece of Meccano built up into a helicopter and I was afraid of flying! The flight was fantastic. You could see all the little islets on the way. Half the seats had been removed to make room for the boxes of daffodils to be flown to Covent Garden market. They tried to get them to the market before the dutch ones came in, to get a better price. There were fields of them growing over the island.

Sadly, the helicopter is no longer there. A new service is due to start in February but no date is available yet. They are waiting for planning to sign it off.

The place we stayed last time is no longer shown. It will be interesting to see what has happened to it.

It was an old inn with long corridors and many small rooms. They had a german shepherd who could open doors. We would come home and find our night clothes, which we left under the pillows lying out on the top of the bed. She never damaged anything or took it away.

A 'cinema' had just opened and you were likely to get films shown out of order- reel1, reel 4, reel 2 reel 3 etc. Made for interesting viewing.

We visited all the other islands but I did love the Tresco gardens.

We went to the Bishop Lighthouse one day, to deliver their Christmas mail (at the end of February.)

The boatman tried each day but the weather had always been too bad and he had had to turn back.

This day we made it but it was too rough for the boat to land so the mail was hoisted up to the lighthouse while we tossed around below. We were quite relived to move off again.

The lighthouse is now automatic.

It will be interesting to see how much you find changed when you go blackmagic. It's knocking on for 30 years since we were there and around 40 since Ruby lived there. She worked at The Smugglers Ride Hotel which is now holiday flats.

We went on the helicopter too as Ruby had bad memories of the boat trip! On our flight over they had removed some seats to put crates in for some dogs.

The guest house we stopped in is now also converted into holiday flats. Nan Heath, the artist, had her studio there as the B&B was owned by one her children. We bought an original work and some prints from her. She was a lovely lady but now long dead. I think you might still see some of her work for sale in the shops when you go.

Anyway I hope you have a lovely time and I look forward to hearing all about it when you get back :flowers:

Another fan of Scilly here. Last holiday there was 1976, camping on St Agnes and visiting other islands by boat. I went looking for shipwreck glass beads in the Beady Pool and found one big and 2 small ones which a friend made into earrings and a ring for me. Had a lovely day on uninhabited Samson.

• Like 1