UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Octobers Original Orations

snow

the dogs know and harry is learning not to get under my feet

been for a blood test and had a mcmuffin, loved it

while I was having the blood test my doctor went past, said hello Alicia. sad when a doctor knows you lol he came back with the flu jab, so that's done too

Suzeanna George followed my every move all his life. I just got used to looking down and around to check for him before making a move.

Archie is much more independent!

Talking of Archie I have just sent off cheek swabs today to get him DNA tested. Having talked to vets and breed experts about him over the years the best guesses are that he is a mix of BC, Manchester Terrier and/or Kelpie and dawg knows what else! We should get a better idea when the test results come back in 6-8 weeks.

don't rely on them. some one had a saluki, pedigree. she did one of them, came back hes dachshund

my uncle has died. he nursed his wife through cancer for years, as she died he was diagnosed with it. when facebook deleted my account, they haven't added me as my new one, so haven't been able to talk to them for over a year except for my brother. hes just had the call

Sorry for your loss Jazz, is there no way you can get added to your families facebook accounts? what if your brother contacts them and asks that they add you?

Yantan, i will be very interested with the results, is it the one where they ask you to send off a photo too? i would love to know what kota and deags are mixed with

At 11 years old Murphy still gets under our feet. He is not quick but he is silent- like a black panther. He also lies at my feet when I am sitting in the chair. I don't know he has sneaked there until I stand on him when I move or go to stand up. He lies right at the back of Jim's computer chair so gets hit when he moves it back to get up. BUT he never learns.

Sorry about your uncle, Jazz.

Owl, there are many people very grateful that you go scrambling around and though the countryside. We are still waiting to hear how it all started.

I can crawl but it is getting up again that is a challenge :ohno01:

We are using a reputable DNA testing firm, the sort that is used in court cases, not the kind of thing you buy off the shelf in Pets At Home. No no photograph required. Why would they even ask for one? That sounds dodgy to me!

Our vet practice is shut in town and my S-i-L needs to get their dog in to see a vet, as he's had a dire rear and sickness off and on for the last few weeks. He's seen the vet every time it's flared but she's fed up of it because her baby isn't well and it's not resolved. So because of the town practice being closed temporarily I'm having to run her and Taz through to Cockermouth to the practice HQ.

If any of you catch Archie logging in here as me tell him to mind his own business & go and have a nice sleep on his sofa. Thank you.

• Like 1

oh dear Yantan, hope the dog will be o.k, fingers crossed it is just a deep seated bug or something, so worrying when they are poorly.

I saw a dna test advertised online and they asked for a photo of the dog to be sent...to me that just smacks of them looking at your dog, the same as you do and hazarding a guess as to what is in there Lol

Sorry to hear about your uncle, Jazz.

Yes, I can crawl but have a real problem getting up due to old ankle injury and shoulder injury both on left side. Finlay the lab is a great help as he is so solid. I can grab his harness and lean on him to help me up, bless him. He doesn't mind at all.

Went back to optician as not getting on with new glasses. They are stronger for long distance but the intermediate distance is not good. So I was offered varifocals half price. Hope that works out, or it will still be an expensive failure.

What does our resident optician think of varifocals? Do most people like them? I had bifocals years ago but they were horrid. I got headaches and fell over my own feet even more than I usually do.

I had bifocals for a few years then graduated to varifocals. I have had no problems with them but your field if vision is restricted so they need to fit well. If the frames are the slightest off position it is noticeable.

I have always had high quality ones though.

My husband can't wear varifocals. He could not get focus through them and got them changed to two pairs. One for distance and one for other times.

Since his cataract op he is now long sighted, whereas before he was shortsighted. He found the change awkward.

Yantan, my grandson asked me to get down on the floor to play a game with him. As I got down my son laughed and said' you will probably have to help granny up again.' Oh , so true.

Varifocals will feel weird to begin with, you will feel like a nodding dog, but persevere with them and you'll be fine :) I always tell any first time varifocal wearer, they wouldn't still make them if nobody got on with them. Get the best lens you can afford, the cheaper varifocals tend to be more difficult to get used to, as they have a bigger area of soft focus at the edges of the lens :)

Sorry to hear about your uncle Jazz :group hug:

Can't remember if I mentioned it on here, but last week I saw a horrid woman. She was a total nightmare. I think her optom just got fed up of her saying she couldn't see in her contact lenses and decided to send her to me for cataract surgery. Basically this woman wanted to be totally free from glasses after having cataract surgery on the NHS. She wasn't happy when I said we couldn't guarantee it. I emailed my boss to say she would probably put in a complaint about me (and her cataracts didn't even need doing!). I was right, she had emailed head office to complain. Thankfully, my boss had already reviewed my notes and said I had done a good job, he has the unenviable task of phoning her up to speak to her. She demanded that he phone her up on a specific day at a set time though - forget all the other patients that he has to see on that day :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone. Gooster, I did pick the most expensive ones because of the peripheral vision distortion. The woman who saw me was very good at explaining about lenses and all the issues involved. I explained about being dyspraxic and needing to see where my feet are.

Yesterday's muddy trek was worth it. Missing dog had headed out through the hedge on their farm exactly where the dogs showed us, and she was found this evening at a village 5 miles away by road, less via fields.

I've had varifocals for years. I really didn't like them at first and never totally got used to my first pair. I went back to ordinary lenses plus a pair of reading glasses. I then changed opticians and they persuaded me to have another go with varifocals and to be honest I've never looked back.

Jayne what an awful sounding woman. I presume her treatment is on the NHS so how does she believe she should have her demands met before the rest of us?