UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Octobers Original Orations

snow

Hope the poorly twin soon picks up and goes home Griff, my little granddaughter was the same when she was born, much smaller than her twin brother and had to play catch up in special care for a while.

My grotty neighbour likes bonfires too. He, however, burns stuff which gives off clouds of black smoke and stinks to high heaven. If I don't get all the windows shut quickly enough the whole house smells and it makes Philip choke as he's asthmatic.

Candy is pretty much the perfect dog apart from one thing, her separation anxiety which isn't improving despite trying all the usual. We've come to the conclusion that our foreign holidays are going to be a thing of the past, no way would we put her into kennels as she'd be a nervous wreck! It'll be holidays in Britain where we can take her too, I think. I don't mind too much, but Philip does like his couple of weeks of sunshine and warm seas. Ah well, a happy dog outweighs a happy husband...doesn't she?

Hope the poorly twin soon picks up and goes home Griff, my little granddaughter was the same when she was born, much smaller than her twin brother and had to play catch up in special care for a while.

My grotty neighbour likes bonfires too. He, however, burns stuff which gives off clouds of black smoke and stinks to high heaven. If I don't get all the windows shut quickly enough the whole house smells and it makes Philip choke as he's asthmatic.

Candy is pretty much the perfect dog apart from one thing, her separation anxiety which isn't improving despite trying all the usual. We've come to the conclusion that our foreign holidays are going to be a thing of the past, no way would we put her into kennels as she'd be a nervous wreck! It'll be holidays in Britain where we can take her too, I think. I don't mind too much, but Philip does like his couple of weeks of sunshine and warm seas. Ah well, a happy dog outweighs a happy husband...doesn't she?

Suzeanna, get a copy of "I'll be back soon" , highly recommended on another forum https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ill-Be-Home-Soon-Separation/dp/1891767054

Griff I hope the poorly little titch will soon be well enough to be back with mummy, daddy and the other baby.

We are trying to book a cottage for New Year so Archie can go with us and get away from the blasted fireworks here. We've left it a bit late so the pickings are sparse as we require a rural property with an enclosed garden far from the madding crowd. I've spotted some lovely places that would suit us down to the ground but of course they've been booked up for ages. We can't make our minds up as to whether or not we should risk booking something further up Scotland than our neighbouring Dumfries and Galloway and The Borders in case the weather gets too wintry and we can't make it. Mmmmmm,, decisions, decisions.

Suzeanna, is it barking and howling? if it is there is a lady who is a homeopath..fantastic lady, well helpful, i used her for laneys separation anxiety and diesels firework fear

http://www.caninenaturalcures.co.uk/homeopath.html

the separation anxiety stuff is called no bark and the firework stuff is no noise, give her a call, she is always happy for a chat

Thanks blackmagic and Griff, will look into both of those. She scrabbles more than anything, dug up the carpet in the kitchen by the door, so we put her in the conservatory (tiled) and she scratched all the door frame, and she whimpers and barks. I feel sorry for the poor little girl, but although I don't often go out, I do have to occasionally! Thankfully fireworks don't bother her, there were some going off the other night when Philip was walking her and he said she ignored them. I've left the radio on and jumpers belonging to both of us in her bed, plus a treat wheel thing but she still gets stressed, red hot and panting like mad when we get home.

Yantan , you could try here https://www.facebook.com/groups/dogfriendlyholidays/

There is an album with different categories of holidays. You need to go into photos , then albums.

You can put a request for what you want on the facebook page and hopefully an owner will reply.

We are lucky up here as we usually don't get the bad weather until January but around Perthshire and north to Inverness can get the early snow.

Avoid travelling 1st or 2nd January as there is normally no road clearing done over the holiday, which is 2 days in Scotland.

Thomas cook played nice - they moved my hotel and charged me £39 :biggrin:

Hope the twins are home soon :flowers:

Have you tried a DAP diffuser or a thunder shirt on Candy? I know the thunder shirt are marketed at firework/thunder anxiety, but it might help for separation anxiety as well - they put pressure on certain points that is like they are being given a hug.

I did think about the child locks for my windows - I'll have to brave going to Mothercare and have a look (and hope there aren't loads of kids in there :laugh: )

• Like 1

I am sure you can get child locks online if you do a search. Glad Thomas Cook gave you a good deal on hols.

Good wishes for ickle twin.

Out tracking a local dog today, little westie on the run, sighted by someone this morning. At least a westie gets noticed more than a border terrier or similar who blends into the autumn foliage.

http://www.lockshop-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/era-upvc-ventilation-lock.html

That is what I was trying to explain Jayne.good on Thomas cook

Owl, hope the westie is found soon

Had to get dex to the vet this evening..£67 and he is a bit happier, spent the day thinking I was going to lose him....he is 18 but not yet...need him longer!! Then I was on my way back and a bus come up behind me...panic alarm went off, it was Steve the eejit, stuck his arm out the window waving, he is a divvy lol

That's one thing about not having cats any more that I don't miss - the litter trays. We had 7 cats and they were all litter trained so even when they were outside they'd come back in to use the loo. The smell at times was just eurggghhhhhh :sick01:

Thank you black magic but I can't access that link coz I no longer do FB. In any case we booked something yesterday. We are heading for The Borders having found a cottage in it's own grounds with a stream. The owner lives in the farmhouse next door and there is a house at tuther side but other than that we are surrounding by fields and woodland. We are just hoping neither neighbours are into letting fireworks off on NYE!

That's good news on the baby Griff. Are they really calling him Octavio?

Glad you found somewhere, Yantan.

I hope none of you ever need this info...but if by any chance you are diagnosed with cancer in your left breast, and you need radiotherapy, it's worthwhile knowing that it can affect your heart. It thickens the muscle and makes it harder for the heart to work and increases your chances of a heart attack. So far, so not good BUT they have discovered that by taking a deep breath in and holding it just before the radiotherapy is administered, the lungs fill and push the heart down out of the way. So, if you ever need it, make sure you point this out if you aren't told to do so. Obviously the right breast doesn't have the same problem as the heart isn't on that side. I'm one of those people who probably irritate doctors no end, as I read up everything I can if I have a health issue, and I'd read about this negative affect on the heart, which is why I refused to have radiotherapy. The oncologist (big cheese from Weston Park in Sheffield) agreed when he examined me. That reminds me, I should have had an appointment with the breast clinic by now, I'm meant to be checked every six months. Better give them a bell.

• Like 1

Phoned the clinic, yes I will be getting an appointment for a mammogram soon. I don't want to miss one, as the consultant who did my op warned me that the type of cancer I had often appears in the other breast. Fingers crossed it hasn't, and doesn't!

Dex is doing well to get to that age Griff, don't think we've had a cat make it past 15.