UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Non-Stop Natterings

merledogs

Have an amazing time Marion - we did absolutely loads in NY. We rented bikes and cycled around Central Park, went to the Statue of Liberty, went up the Rockefeller centre, found the friends building, did the high line walk... Of all the things we did there, the Rockefeller centre and the High Line walk are things you MUST do. We also found the Naked Cowboy in Times Square - he was cool :biggrin: If you see a copy of the Rough Guide for New York at the airport, pick it up and read it - it has a subway map, a map of Manhattan as well as loads of tips of what to do (that's where we found the magic shop). Pack comfy shoes - we averaged 12 miles walking per day!!!

If you are flying into JFK, you can get a taxi to your hotel for $58 flat rate. On the way back, we got the air train, you get the E subway train to Sulphin Blvd, then a train straight into JFK.

Hope everyone else is ok, got back from Vegas yesterday morning, been sorting things out. Mum was crazy in Vegas - she played knock a door run two nights in a row, then nicked some salt and pepper shakers from the hotel, stuffed them into my suitcase, so when I got home and unpacked, everything was full of salt :biglaugh: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips Jayne and I'm glad you had a great time. I can't see me walking 12 miles a day! Do you need to do anything special to get that taxi rate as when I looked on line at the rates it appeared to be rather more than that! We had an email from Kevin our "personal concierge" at the Waldorf the other day asking if we wanted a hotel limo to pick us up! I'd rather get the taxi - it'll be waaaaay cheaper.

Archie is wearing Pudsey ears tonight and going to the BBC event in town. His DW is hoping to get him on the telly together with her dog who has been requested to attend specially! So if you watch it and happen to see Keswick popping up look out for him!

If you are flying into JFK, all yellow cabs are outside the terminal and it's a flat rate. We just stood in the queue, told them the hotel and got in. We gave $60 to cover the journey $52, tolls $6 and a small tip.

The Waldorf looks gorgeous, we walked past it one evening.

We left the hotel at about 9.30am each day and stayed out all day till about 11pm. So whilst we were walking 12 miles per day, it wasn't all in one go :) We walked 13 miles on the last day in Vegas! I was wearing my fit flops and they were brilliant - much more supportive and comfortable than my converse that I wore in NY!

Moaning :tired:

Have a fab holiday Maz and try not to worry about ickle Archie :flowers:

Went for a wee on my way to bed last night in the downstairs loo. Turns out it's blocked and leaking. Also turns out if I flush the upstairs loo it pushes all the water out of the downstairs loo, so I am loo-less. I thought I had managed to unblock it last night but obviously not so am going to have a go at sorting it later, failing which it'll be a call to a plumber (think I have that emergency thingy through my home insurance).

Shocked to read about Paris.

Am having a lovely time in South Africa, but have learnt where those annoying habits of my husband came from....argh....

Counting to a thousand and hopefully that will work...and a lot of introspection to see what is making them press my buttons...