UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Non-Stop Natterings

merledogs

sorry, I meant £20 for coming 7 days a week. doesn't matter, hes not turned up today. I rung, his mum said he didn't tell her he was supposed to do today, and she didn't say to ask for more, so he can be cancelled. she said she would get him to ring but he hasn't. he told me he used to walk a staffy, but doesn't know how to put a lead on

HLGS I agree with you. In the 1970s (OK I know a lot of you weren't born or were very young then) I was living and working in London at the time of IRA bombing. I lived near Regent's Park and was back home on lunch break when the bandstand was blown up. I heard the bang, and it was sheer chance that I had decided to go home that day and not taken picnic lunch to the park as I usually did in good weather.

And another time I was waiting at Waterloo station and went into the cafe. I didn't notice the suitcase tucked under my seat, but a lady nearby asked me if it was mine as she didn't see me carry it in. I owe her my life.

I was talking to my mum about it later and explained that I could not just hide all the time and hoped she would understand. Surprisingly for a chronic worrier, fusspot and drama queen, she understood completely as it was the same during the war. People could not just hide in fear or the enemy would have won without even landing.

I am also worried about some of the extreme views of some people which have now been reinforced, regardless of the courage shown by Muslims in France who helped those under attack and hid them in shop basements.

• Like 2

Security will be hieghtened everywhere at the moment so probably a safer time to visit.

Once the initial shock dies down people will drop their guard and security will not be so tight.

IS will go where they can cause as much shock, fear and destruction as they can , but nowhere can really be considered totally safe

Moaning :tired:

Thought I'd fixed the loo yesterday but turned out I hadn't. Back to square one :rolleyes:

When I worked in central London the IRA bombings were at their height. A number of times I had a close shave but it never stopped anyone going about their business. Saw a security expert on the news who said that Kalashnikovs are relatively difficult to get over here compared to France so the threat was comparatively low. Still can make bombs though! It'slucky those three bombers who went to the Stade de France weren't allowed in - can you imagine what would have happened if they'd been in the middle of a crowded stadium? Not only would the bombs have done maximum damage but there could potentially have been a stampede for the exits.