UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

April's Random Mutterings

merledogs

Owl, my consultant told me that soft tissue injuries are more troublesome as breaks generally and take a lot longer to truly heal. I hope your new support helps, if you were near me you could have borrowed my cryo cuff.... that is a fab invention!

Gooster, i do hope Blue will be o.k, ouchy though...you never know, he might man up for his stitches to be out Lol

Murtle, naughty little cats...do you think the weather has affected them? my cat gets shut in the kitchen at night with his litter trays, heated bed and dinner...no toys as he will wake the whole house up, we have to close the door and tie it shut otherwise he comes mooching round the house waking the dogs up and if you aren't careful he will stick his claws in the sole of your foot Lol

Morning Merledogs i was thinking of you yesterday, i planted...yes me... i actually planted some dalhias in my garden, thought you will be busy tending your lovely containers again

• Like 1

Adjustable hinged knee support arriving by courier tomorrow. I saw that cryo cuff on site, griff, it looks good. But I think I will be ok with a decent support, and using cold compresses when resting.

It's amazing the gear you can get on the sports injury sites. All the NHS can provide is elastic stuff which cuts off the circulation, totally self defeating.

Hope the knee support helps, Owl. When my knee was being a nightmare I found the hospital very confusing..the consultant gave me a support to wear, heavy thing with metal side struts and straps. The physio told me to chuck it...said that wearing it would weaken my muscles and I needed to strengthen them!

Jayne, when my daughter used to ride, her pony managed to slice her chest on some barbed wire we didn't know was there. The vet lived a couple of fields over from us, he came and stitched her up..about fifteen if I remember correctly...then said brightly to me "take them out in ten days." Me take them out?? Okaaay...by dint of plenty of carrots to distract her, a pair of tweezers and nail scissors I managed it, but I so glad it wasn't her previous pony, he was a complete lunatic. Our dobe collected injuries by the bucket load, and unfailingly took out her own stitches when they were ready, saved a lot of trips back to the vets.

Owl I hope you make a full and speed recovery :flowers:

Some of you may have read or heard in the press about an awful case of abuse to a dog here in Keswick. The git who did it, David Nellist, has had his day in court although he got off far too lightly IMO. Beware if you haven't already seen the video of him abusing the dog because it's very upsetting. I haven't watched it, one of my neighbours did watch it yesterday and she couldn't sleep last night.

Anyway I wanted to say two things.

One it is being wrongly reported that he is the owner of the business named in the reports (and from where the CCTV footage of him abusing the dog came from) but he has actually sold his interest in it so calls for people to boycott the restaurant/bar in protest won't do anything to him.

The second thing is, I have it on very good authority, that the dog is now fine and having been confiscated by the RSPCA, has been found a new home far from Cumbria.

Oh, there's a third thing I should say. People here in town are going nuts about this and are out for his blood. He's had to be given police protection. He lives about 8 doors away from my brother so if I see him about when I am visiting I shall be having words.

Sounds a charming type Yantan. A couple of years ago a man in Clay Cross was found guilty of cruelty to his two staffies..one found dead with injuries that the vet said he would normally expect from a road accident and the other in an awful way but still just alive. He got a fine and banned from keeping animals and he moved, rather quickly.

Knee has been checked, just a ligament but they take ages to heal unless you can get proper rest. My fault, it was doing ok but I did too much. It's only a week since it happened so I should not expect too much. This is the problem of having a dog who can only be handled by a few people other than myself. I can't simply stay off the leg for a week. I am sending away for a proper support from one of the sports sites.

Apart from ice packs, the best thing I have found for it is Superdrug body butter in coconut and lime. It is very cooling.

I should not moan anyway, as so many Fugees have long standing health problems which are much more challenging to live with. Just cross with myself for being so clumsy, and taking us out of action for tracking.

Owl , Knee injuries are a bit of a challenge , I had to see a Physio for many months after mine was damaged by Mr Gru running into me ! . Would you like me to post you some of the support tape I used ? its very easy to apply and made a huge difference and I can put some on my knee and photograph it to show you how I used it.

I also had to do a lot of Physio during my recovery , once a week with a physio and the rest of the week at home doing exercises she gave me, I also have to use hot and cold packs at different times. If you can get your GP to refer you to a Physio it will help heaps

Thanks HLGS, but are you in Sri Lanka at present? If so it is a long way to post it. best to tell me what it is and I can order some.

I doubt if I can get referred for physio. Didn't get it for collarbone a year ago or ankle fracture in 2011. I suspect it is to do with age. But I can pay for a few sessions myself at the local sports physio if necessary. But I have to say the knee is better today than yesterday, probably because I stayed in bed until mid-afternoon!

Owl, rest is the best thing but very difficult when you have dogs to walk, if you pop into google "physio tape" you will get the kinesiology tape...plenty of choice! back when taping first came in..nearly 20 years ago at out hospital, i had to make do with elastoplast Lol... if it wouldn't stick they would spray me with some horrible aerosol stuff and stick tape over me Lol

Hope you get your table and chairs jazz

Morning Merledogs....are you gardening this weekend?

Vets this afternoon for me with deags...not looking forward to it at all!

• Like 1

Must be something in the air! my friends mare had 8 stitches in her leg yesterday after a kick!

As for stitch removal, I once had a foster dog who arrived with castration stitches still in tact... he was castrated 2 months before!... rung the rescue and they told me to remove them... thankfully they came out easily

Thanks griff.

The late great Humphrey puli made me look a right idiot at the vets. Vet asked me why I had brought him in for stitch removal when it had already been done. Little blighter had only removed them himself on the way there.