UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March's Mad Mumblings

merledogs

Could you not get a chain lead for a while Griff - just to get her out of the habit of chewing?

Hope you are ok Jazz :flowers:

I actually had a nice day at work today - this is where I had lunch

D3F9D33D-945E-4E19-A116-73AE1FB40052.jpg

They have booked me in for another 9 days straight away across the summer, with potential for more too :) The owner seemed surprised that I had bookings in June and July already, so he has given me dates all the way to September to cover :) Looking forward to a summer of lunches reading in the park in the sunshine (hopefully :laugh: )

• Like 2

Depends what you used Alicia - if it was Advocate or Frontline then no it's absorbed into their skin so you'd overdose her. These fleas will be the ones that have hatched since you did the treatment, I've never found doing the carpets bedding etc. with sprays to be particularly effective what IS effective is to Advantage the dog itself, fleas cannot live in bedding or carpets etc. and whilst they can bite us they can't feed from us (or so I was told) however, Advantage makes the animal toxic to the fleas it'll kill all the fleas currently on the animal within 12 hours and it also kills their lavae then as the new ones hatch out from the carpets etc. it'll kill those too and eventually you break the cycle. It also works on contact so all you need do is treat the dog and let it sleep and go where it always goes as the fleas there will be attracted to the dog and as soon as they come into contact then they start to die so no need to do the bedding and carpets with another product.

Have just had a message from dad to tell me that Ted's tummy is poorly again. I am working through till Monday, but I have suggested that he goes to the vet (as I know myself it's not nice when you have an upset stomach and I don't want him suffering). Dad is refusing to take him to the vet as they might put him through lots of tests that will not reveal anything (he just has a dodgy tummy - he had a barrage of tests a couple of years ago that didn't reveal anything). I have just said we need to explain to the vet that he just has a sensitive stomach and we could do with something to keep in stock to give him when he has a flare up (like pro kaolin or something) :angry: :rolleyes: I have a friend who is a vet at my practice, I might message her and ask her advice :unsure:

Oh dear Jazz - sorry to hear you still have fleas. When I was in there one Tuesday our vet mentioned its been a bad year for fleas, as the weather didn't get cold enough this winter to kill them off like it normally does. Have you been using flea treatment from the vet, or the stuff you can get without a prescription? The stuff from the vet is stronger so it would be worth calling and seeing if you can dose with that so soon after what you've already used.

Jayne - I hope Ted's tummy improves, and sympathise with your frustration. My mum is always reluctant to take Shadow or Morse to the vet because 'they're old and I wouldn't want to put them through any extensive treatment or investigations.' My view on it is that she can still take them to the vet and get pain killers / prophylactic treatment, and the vet won't do anything she doesn't authorize, but she'd just rather not take them at all and treat at home herself.

It just annoys me a bit - it's like with Charlie, I bought him a supplement to help his brain function and it really helped him to start with. He was happy, bouncy and stopped peeing in the kitchen overnight. However he has started peeing in the kitchen again, so they stopped giving it to him, even though was still happy and bouncy on it. He's been off it now for a couple of weeks, and he's not as happy and bouncy anymore :( I am happy to buy it and pay for it, but they won't give it to him as they don't see any point. I would love to have them both at mine, but I am out of the house for really long hours, so it just wouldn't work :(

Not really, I tried that when I bought my house. Charlie just didn't settle at all. It's not long walks they need now, but regular breaks. Tomorrow I have to leave for work at 7.45am, then will have to go straight from work to the farm to sort Blue out - even if I didn't ride him, I wouldn't get home till about 8pm (that's without factoring in going to the gym).So even with a dog walker, they would be alone for a hell of a long time. I couldn't go and pick the dogs up and then go to the farm, as the dogs would have to stay in the car. The joys of working full time when you have over an hour commute due to traffic and owning a horse :unsure: