UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jolly Jabbers

merledogs

:GroupHug: for Fergus and for Mia

Mia sounds very similar to how Marmite was when she got very ill. The vet thought that was pancreatitis - does she go to eat and then stop as soon as she starts of as soon as she smells it?

Poor Morse has come up with a large hotspot at the base of his tail :( It looks very sore and he wants to lick it constantly. Typically he's insured with axa and this, which is the first health related issue he's had in about 10 years, coincides with them stopping doing pet insurance! Obviously he's covered for this if it needs the vet, but would it then mean skin conditions are excluded if mum needs to switch to a different insurer?

Poor Fergus, I hope it's just a case of the bowel being over stimulated that's caused the bleeding. Alex, has Mia eaten anything recently that could have stuck in her throat...fish or chicken bones? I do hope the vet can get to the bottom of it.

Gooster, you say your dad is on pills for his high blood pressure? Some pills can cause personality changes, if he won't go to the doctor can your mum go and explain and see if it could be that? I have an underactive thyroid, it caused me to put on a lot of weight (which I still can't shift!), have very dry skin and be cold and tired but it didn't make me short tempered.

Thanks guys, I know he has had blood tests recently for his cholesterol, but don't think they have checked his thyroid. I will try and have a word with mum and see what she thinks. He is a nightmare to be around at the moment. It was so nice to go back to mine last night and just have my own space and not tread on eggshells.

Hope all poorly pets are feeling better soon :flowers:

Gooster, could you tell your dad? take him for a coffee or a pint or something and just ask him if he is o.k, when he says he is fine, just ask if anything is troubling him and point out that you have all noticed he hasn't been his usual self and just ask him to go and have a word with the dr just to put your mind at rest, when our family had to go for heart tests my dad refused and i was talking to my aunty about it and got really upset, she asked me had i told my dad how i felt and i said no..... she told me to ring him immediately and tell him how it was making me feel, he was at the drs 2 days later. Dads can be complete nobs sometimes and not realize that they affect others so much, i reckon if you tell your dad how worried you are he will want to make you feel better

i now have to take my cat to the vet, he was put on thyroid meds and when we were there last week i pointed out his scabby head, the vet said he had only seen it once but the cat could be reacting to his meds..... fast forward a week and it isn't better but worse and he is acting very oddly indeed

So many poorly animals and oomans.

Sophie, what do you mean by hot spot? Where the tail meets the body is a common (apparently) spot for fleas. That is the point that cocoa opened up a massive sore when he had the flea allergy erupt. It quickly become a habit for him which was hard to break. Hope he is better soon.

Healing thoughts for Morse and Fergus and griff's dad :GroupHug:

They've kept Mia in at the vets :( They are putting her on fluids overnight and will do some blood tests in case it's her kidneys or something else. They have a new receptionist who was a right obnoxious cow :mad: She demanded £250 off me as that is apparently what they do whenever a pet is staying in overnight. Since the vet said the bill was likely to be £150-£200 I told her I wasn't paying £250. I asked whether it was a new rule but she said it had been in for ages (I haven't seen her before so unless she's been hiding away she hasn't been there ages). I've never been asked for money up front from my vets so in the end I paid the £50 excess and gave her the insurance details. She also said if the bill was less than £500 they want payment and I would have to claim from the insurance. When I took Max in recently for his bits and pieces they never asked for payment up front, even when the bill was less than £500 and it's never been their policy over the past 8 or 9 years I've been going to them. I will be having a chat with the vet tomorrow about her and their policy :mad:

thats outrageous Merledogs, i think you were right to refuse to pay, you are a long standing client so they know you pay your bill, i could understand if it was a new client... i reckon receptionists go to snotty cow school!

dex has had a steroid jab and had a good check over, have to call monday and let the vet know how he is or sooner if i am worried

That is ridiculous! With Ted's op we paid nothing up front, just gave them a claim form to send to Tesco and they said they would send us details of the remaining balance (£797! Ouch.). Same went for when Charlie had his cruciate op done - just gave them the claim form, paid the £120 excess and left them to it. Nantwich vets are fab! Just wish we lived closer so they could be our full time vets :rolleyes:

Had a phone call from a very nice vet at 10:30 last night. They've done initial testing and Mia's kidneys are in a bad way and her potassium is also very high which could impact her heart if it doesn't come down. There are two scenarios - either she has kidney disease/failure in which case I am going to have to make a decision very soon (and we all know what that's 'vet speak' for) :( or it's something acute such as a kidney stone or she's ingested something like lilies or anti freeze. He said given that it's come on quickly he suspects the latter scenario but they will do more tests and a scan today to see whether there is any improvement with the fluids. If there is no improvement then it's likely to be kidney disease. If there is some improvement then the outcome depends on how well her kidneys respond and how badly they are damaged. Either way she's going to be in for a few nights. My poor Mia, please send healing thoughts :mecry:

When I walked in the vets yesterday the smell just hit me and reminded me that last time I was in there it was to have Max pts :mecry: I miss my boy so much :mecry:

I hope Mia has a treatable condition, poor girl and poor you.

I've just scared myself...my OH woke up yesterday complaining his ear and the side of his neck just under it felt strange...when I looked at him I could see the ear lobe was slightly swollen and his glands at the angle of the jaw were up too. He came home from work and his ear has ballooned, the lobe is really fat and sticking out and his glands are huge. This morning the whole side of his face is puffing up and he has a slight temperature. He hasn't been bitten or stung, doesn't have a sore throat or earache. He's got an appointment at 9.30 with the doc, but I just looked up the symptoms and they sound horribly like the symptoms for lymphoma. :unsure: I'm terrified that's what it could be, his family seem to be susceptible to cancers...he had a sister who died from leukaemia at 6, his mum died from pancreatic cancer and his brother died two years ago from a very uncommon cancer of the lining of the chest wall. Please keep your fingers crossed it's nothing serious. I feel sick and shaky now, I daren't tell him what I've read.

:GroupHug: Alex. I'll be thinking of Mya :flowers:

:GroupHug: suzeanna - I hope it turns out to be something not too serious.

Murtle - the hotspot is an area of infected skin. It's mostly hairless and quite sore. He keeps bothering at it with licking, which obviously makes it worse. If it's no better today I think he'll be off to see the vet for so antibiotics.

Alex :GroupHug: I'm sending positive healing thoughts for Mia.

Suzeanne also sending positive healing thoughs for your OH :GroupHug:

Archie was reunited with his best pal, Sadie, yesterday and I believe the reunion was very joyous. They had both missed each other :biglove: