UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Naughty Natterings

merledogs

My OH has been looking at tablets recently and was interested in the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, those of you who have one can you give your thoughts on it please. He doesnt want to spend a lot of money and find it doesnt live up to its hype!

I have one and like it very much. It compares most favourably to Ruby's iPad (I actually prefer the Samsung!) I've not had it that long and I've still got things to discover about it's functionality. I agree with Alex about getting a keyboard dock . Ruby has one for her iPad and it does make things easier. I'm asking Father Christmas to get me one. Alex which one are you getting?

I'm glad Kinky cat is feeling safe and content in the house with the rest of the Merle family :)

suzeanna, your OH might like to take a look at the lower-cost SweetTablet series which come in 3 different sizes. I am going to have the ickle baby one.

Did too much over the past 4 days & am now the worse for wear. 2 days tracking which Wispa did very well, bringing us to the very end of the trail where we believe the dog was picked up, then driving in Sheffield yesterday which is strenuous even with satnav, long story but involved getting a staffy out of the pound which had gone on run after attempted theft. He is safe back with his mum now. And on the 2nd day of tracking I had a fall when we were following the scent down a narrow well-fenced estate road between 2 fields full of extremely stroppy cows & calves who went ballistic when they saw us. I can walk Wispa past cows on other side of a fence if they are reasonably calm, but these were mental.They were galloping about and bellowing and we had them on both sides. Wispa was terrified and went into meltdown, and I got pulled down with some force. We did manage to get back to the van, drive down the road and get back on the trail further on and take it to the end. Thanks to the amount of neoprene I wear and the splints on my ankle and wrist I was spared damage to vulnerable joints but seem to have jarred everything else.

At least it shows Wispa has made progress, to look on the bright side. When she was scared out of her wits she didn't try to snap at me, which she would have done when younger, and she kissed me and tried to help me up even though the cows were still shouting. Will take her for a walk somewhere quiet and cow-free and then have a day at home doing a bit of filing and paper sorting.

Glad you're both okay owl :flowers:

I have one and like it very much. It compares most favourably to Ruby's iPad (I actually prefer the Samsung!) I've not had it that long and I've still got things to discover about it's functionality. I agree with Alex about getting a keyboard dock . Ruby has one for her iPad and it does make things easier. I'm asking Father Christmas to get me one. Alex which one are you getting?

I'm getting the proper Samsung dock for it. Trouble is, it's out of stock in most places but I managed, after much trawling of t'internet to get one from here. Make sure you get the right one for your tab though, cos the one for the Tab 2 is slightly different from the original tab.

I also bought the dock for it so I can leave it on the sideboard cos I plan to use it to play music/radio.

I place the order at lunchtime yesterday and within an hour they emailed me to say it had shipped.

Edited by merledogs

Thanks for the links Alex. They are more money than I thought! I might just see if there's a keyboard case available for the Samsung. Ruby's company is part of a big multi world wide group and one of the other companies makes keyboard cases that I know for sure fit the iPad. I shall ask her to see if they do one for suitable for my tablet as she can get them at cost which is very useful :) I really would like the dock though. LOL

Owl that was quite an adventure you and Wispa had yesterday. You've helped her make terrific progress :) How lovely that she was concerned about you being down and gave you a kiss rather than the bite you as she might have done in her early days with you.

Thanks very much for the info Alex and your comments Yantan...yes Owl, he's looked at the SweetTablets too, but he needs more memory apparently. He thinks he'll probably go for the Samsung, so far John Lewis seems the cheapest. He did get excited in Curry's (no, not like that, wash your minds out) over an Acer with all the whistles and bells until he saw the price, and suddenly it didn't look so appealling.

Hope you aren't feeling too stiff and sore Owl, that must have been frightening for you and Wispa, thank goodness she didn't get away from you and bolt.

My tablet was a bargain I did a lot of research before buying it and opted for a chinese tablet over an Ipod or Samsung after I got fed up of waiting for the Kindle Fire. I couldn't be more pleased with mine, though admittedly I don't have dual cameras which might have been handy but the latest versions do. Its fully expandable I opted for a 16GB and put a 32GB sd card in it. It runs the vast majority of android aps and has the Kindle ap which I sync to my Kindle account so if I read on the tablet then next time I turn my Kindle on that automatically updates to the last page I read on the tablet and vice versa. I bought a case and keyboard but actually find I dont use the keyboard very often. The amazon seller I got it from has a very good reputation and offers first class tech support.

3 versions available now:

A 7" dual camera wifi & 3G version with 1GB RAM at £139.99 http://www.amazon.co...=A3FBRFJEH1TPJ2

An 8GB version of mine without the dual cameras and 3G via a dongle at £89.99 http://www.amazon.co...=A3FBRFJEH1TPJ2

or the 10.1" which is £129.99 http://www.amazon.co...=A3FBRFJEH1TPJ2

Definately worth a look if you are tablet hunting.

Its worth remembering even the branded tablets are almost all outsourced to China these days so the technology is almost identical - they just dont carry the branded name.

Neoprene is mostly what stops me from falling apart so I expect it would be ok for a netbook.

Wispa has an escape proof harness with handles and was on 2 leads at the time so unlikely to escape and she is not one to bolt. My main problem was that she wanted to hurl herself at the offending cattle and I was concerned about 2 strands of barbed wire above the stock fencing. Anyway, we had a relaxing walk on the grouse moor today which has few sheep, no cattle and just the occasional rider or walker. It's only 20 mins from home.