UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ornery Oration

merledogs

Moaning :tired:

Alex, have you tried Viscotears? that's what the hospital doc told my OH to use for his dry eyes.

Those are the artificial tears I've tried, thank you for the suggestion though :flowers: The boric acid solution did the trick though.

Went out to do rabbits earlier and found Thumper lying flat out in garden, hes a sick boy :( Hes currently in lounge lying down. Got some antibiotic into him and will have to get more tomorrow. Was late doing them and not been around much today, had parents evening at school tonight so feeling guilty as normally would have noticed much earlier.

Shame it wasn't Bebe and sending healing thoughts for Thumper :flowers:

It will be weird going back into the office but in a nice way I hope (for me anyway). I wouldn't manage the relationship on a day to day basis because the new company does things differently, so the involvement would only be at certain times.

Morning all.

What a shame the dog wasn't Bebe :( Hope the little bun makes a speedy and full recovery.

I am trying to get my act together and start my Christmas shopping to get ahead of the game! Are we doing a Fugee SS again this year? I know Cheryl usually organises it but I wouldn't want her to feel pressurised into it this time especially given that she hasn't been so well.

It started raining yesterday and despite the man on the local TV weathercast telling us today was going to be a nice day - it isn't. It's still bloody well nissing down. Grrrrrrrr.

Morning everyone. Yantan, you don't mean to say you believe the weather forecast? I'm surprised at you! I was living in the south, close to Ashdown Forest, when Michael Fish assured us there wasn't a hurricane on the way :mad: All I can say is a lot of trees decided they were too tired to stand up all of a sudden!

I hope Thumper is feeling better today, and the far too many lost dogs are found soon. There'll be another one before long if her owners don't wake up and see the danger...a house we pass on our usual walk has a big male GSP, and just acquired a delightful little black bitch pup, same breed. They leave them out in the front yard..with unlocked black metal decorative gates. The big lad comes to see us, as he's made friends with our two, and yesterday little pup came bouncing up to say hi, and squeezed straight through the gate! I tried to tell her owner that she can get through but he seems totally unconcerned, silly sod.

What an idiot! It's amazing how many people don't believe there is any dog theft or that dogs go off exploring.

I was living in London at the time of that hurricane, but visiting my sister up north for a few days so missed it. Horrified when I came back and saw the wreckage.

Get well soon Thumper, and hope you find Beebee asap.

The strangers I have messaged on facebook all have a fairly public profile, e.g. I message people active on local community websites if I need to get publicity for a missing dog.

• Like 1

My gardeners have been - this time there were 4 of them lol took them about 6 mins to do the lawn 2 mowing and 2 strimming I really hope we can continue to afford them now we have a mortgage to pay as its so much easier, and saves so much time after one false start they now know that if there's a car on the drive to ring the doorbell as Nog could be out in the garden and I wouldn't like to predict how he might react to a load of burly blokes suddenly waltzing into the back garden, they also close the gate behind them though I always double check to be sure.

Actually speaking of Nog his behavior has changed since we moved here - nothing major and nothing I'm worried about, more curiosity on my part, but he's started to bark when someone walks up the drive or rings the doorbell, he very very rarely did that in the old house (maybe once or twice a year) and if he did then I knew to be wary when opening the door, here tho he's barking about once or twice a week. A couple of things that are different here and which probably explains it firstly this is a bungalow and the bedroom where Nog spends the vast majority of his [sarcasm] very busy day [sarcasm] sleeping, is right at the front, you have to walk right past the bedroom window to get to the front door, plus the front "garden" is done in welsh slate chippings so if you walk across that - and I do wish people wouldn't lol then it crunches underfoot, and here we have a doorbell whereas at the old house we didn't and people had to just knock on the door frame. As I said its only a very minor change but he certainly does make his voice heard with a really deep gruff woof - there was also one occasion when I was in the garden that he tore off down the side passage way to the front gate and unleashed a torrent really gruff warning barks, I went to see what was going on and it was our elderly neighbor on his drive (our drives are adjoining) and he was talking to Nog quietly but every time he spoke Nog barked & grumbled. I called him back and told him he was a good boy, (this neighbor used to wander into mums garden from time to time to help himself to cuttings from her plants which used to bother mum so hopefully Nogs barking at him will make sure he wont try that now we're here), but it has set me wondering why the change.

Snow, he's probably feeling it's his job to guard you in this unfamiliar place...he was used to the neighbours you used to have, presumably, but now everyone's a stranger and he is warning them that you have a bodyguard! Our lurcher never makes a sound no matter who comes to the door, it's our cav who goes ballistic...but Dylan goes crazy if a cat dares to venture into the garden and he's got a quite scary growl and bark when he uses them. So long as Nog doesn't behave aggressively to someone who is actually invited in, I wouldn't worry too much. Probably a good thing about the neighbour, you don't want all your best plants vanishing :unsure:

We flew in from America just after that hurricane and saw the devastation from the air. It was jaw dropping.

I wonder of Nog is feeling insecure in a new place so is a bit jumpy.

Over the years, we have moved house with all but one of our dogs-

I found that they didn't start barking at visitors etc until three of four weeks after we moved in. Presumably the house and its environs were not 'theirs' until then.

Strangely, my latest rescue barked in her foster home when anybody came to the door, but she does not bark with us. Her foster home had another dog that barked but so do we.

I was living in London and that was the day I was trying to get home to South Wales. Got the last train out of London and I have never felt more like a sardine in my life. On the way to the station in the taxi it was being blown sideways across the road.

Evening all :wavey: Busier day today and I've now got my new laptop and a lovely Blackberry Curve 9330. Managed to lock myself out of it cos I forgot what I had changed the password to and it wiped all the data so the IT man had to reconfigure it again :blush:

Alex...my OH is IT support and I must confess he sniggered slightly at you wiping your Blackberry...he says umpteen people do it, despite being told they have a set number of chances before it wipes the data, they keep making hopeful stabs at it! He did say it's not a big job to sort, so don't feel too bad about it.

• Like 1