UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Get It Out There

Jazz

32C in my back garden, overcast with big fat clouds promising rain but not delivering. Not a happy owl.

The baby swift I found last week is doing well with friends who are very good with fledglings. From 5 to 9 in the evenings it is accompanying Dave on his pizza delivery job as it has to be fed every hour from 8 am to midnight. No, it does not get pizza. Then at 9 Viv ends her shift at nursing home and takes it home with her.

• Like 1

Are you drinking plenty of water, Griff? I see they have now announced that cranberry juice doesn't do anything for water infections, despite saying for years it does!

I've got two shallow bowls out on the pillars at the end of the garden, the birds use them for bathing and drinking but for some reason the magpies always choose the smaller bowl, so by the time they've finished splashing about there's nothing left for anyone else.

Awful fires in Greece very close to Athens also on Skiathos which is the next island from Alonissos, where my daughter is at present. They had fires there earlier in the year, I hope to heaven they don't get any more while she's there, she's asthmatic and the smoke would be very dangerous for her.

Our window bird feeder is rather crowded these days. We are getting families of birds squashing in to get the seed. The adults are feeding youngsters as big as themselves.

The two lots of baby pheasants are doing well. One lot are bigger than the other one, so presumably older.

They come running and cheeping for seed when we go out the back door. One baby follows into the garage as we get the seed.

Shooting starts next month so I hope they stay here and keep safe.

I expect Ruby just wants it all over now. Time passes so slowly when you are wanting something to happen. I tis especially hard when you are unwell.

We have another sunny day. We are getting rain in the late evening /overnight so ideal really.

My son in Romania cannot believe we are getting better weather than them. His girlfriend says she has never known so much rain in Romania as they are having. Their car is in the repairers for a couple of days so they are having to rely on my son's motorbike. She is amused because Romanians don't use their motorbikes in the rain. They don't have experience of riding in the rain.

She says it is just as well Gavin has experience of riding in rain and snow in Scotland.

Last night they said that even the artic areas of Sweden are getting high temperatures, Japan is getting over 40 degrees and torrential thunder storms and lower temperatures than normal in Spain.

Research has shown that Cranberry juice does not help if there is already an infection but it can help prevent one. Something in it prevents the bugs sticking to the bladder wall. But it has to be one with no sugar.

D-mannose claims to do the same and is recommended by many.

I have just bought triple strength cranberry tablets from Holland and Barrett to try. The reviews show some people finding them effective in preventing an infection.

After repeated infections, I was on a low dose antibiotic for a year which worked but 5 months after stopping it I got another infection.

This infection was tested for 5 antibiotics. three it was resistant to and the other 2 I am allergic to. My GP had to consult a microbiologist for a solution which I am now taking.

I was just reading in the paper about an antibiotic which is commonly given here for water infections but can cause very bad problems with tendons, muscles etc and has been the subject of many court cases in the States fluoroquinolone drug class apparently.

It's a bloomin minefield isn't it when it comes to taking stuff, prescribed or otherwise. What was once tried and tested suddenly isn't any good any more as research advances.

I hope you get over that infection soon Griff.

The weather both here and world wide is giving cause for concern. Those fires in Greece are awful. Japan is experiencing a killer heatwave and we are soon going to surpass the hot summer of 1976, which I remember well. How anyone can dismiss climate change is beyond me (yes Trump, you orange turnip, I am looking at you) It's still very overcast here and we have fairly persistent very light rain, almost like a mist of rain.

blackmagic I hope the pheasants stay around your place and avoid getting shot.

My urologist told me to take the cranberry tablets and I was but then they decided that my problems had gone and I didn't need to continue

I do drink a lot of water...I go through a minimum of 2litres a day plus coffee etc

Blackmagic...I hope your pheasants move in with you and stay safe!!

Hope Ruby is doing o.k today and also Archie

I drink bottled water all day long. Probably about the same amount as you Griff. I also have at least one coffee a day and a share in a pot of tea in the evening which is 2 mugs at least.

Archie is flat out on his sofa. He didn't poop in the house last night. We've only had a round the block walk this morning as though it is cooler here it's still fairly humid and he soon runs out of steam.

Ruby was at work all day yesterday and is there today. The factory is in sight of the sea so they do tend to get a nice sea breeze. She holes up in her office and everyone comes to see her rather than her wandering around which is more usual. She's early to bed though as she just runs out of puff by 7.00/7.30pm. Going to work helps take her mind off her health. 3 weeks on Thursday until her op.

Shame it can't be sooner, it's hell waiting.

My optimism seems to have left me today, I keep crying for no reason and I'm starting to wonder if there's any point carrying on. Hope it's a glitch and not a permanent state of mind cos of the tablets.

Suzeanna I am sorry you are having such a bad day. I wish we could all pull up chairs at the kitchen table with you and have a good gas about it ... or something else to take your mind off it. I hope tomorrow is a brighter day for you :flowers: :GroupHug: