UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Get It Out There

Jazz

Just popping in. I am going for a short back and sides shortly. I don't have long hair but it does reach my collar and I've found it too hot around my neck and ears in the hot weather. When I get back I'll have about a half hour to change before we set off for Ruby's hospital appointment.

Archie has had a nice walk this morning and I think he will mostly sleep whilst we are out. Next door neighbour is going to pop in and out to see if he needs a wee and to let him have a turn around the garden. I've told her to come in quietly and if he's asleep to leave him. I'll put out treats she can feed him and she knows if it starts to feel too warm in the sitting room she can put the fan on for him, although we will leave the window open a little. I've told her he gets a bit lively around 7.30/8.00pm so she will make her last call around then. We should be home around 9pm and I expect Archie to have put himself to bed by then because he he likes an early night!

I will report back in the morning.

• Like 1

Wispa and I had a walk this morning which did not go according to plan. We were nearly at our destination about 10 miles away where we sometimes have a quiet riverside walk and were just driving through a village when I spotted a bird flapping in the road. Got wheels either side of it, pulled up and collected a baby swift! Not fully fledged but flapping like mad. Must have come from nest in eaves of pub, very high up. Popped it into cat carrier which I always have for small wildlife and phoned fellow warden Dave who is very good with fledglings. Drove to meet him and his wife who were near the reserve, and was alarmed to find no bird in carrier. It has squeezed through side of carrier door and was nowhere to be seen. After rummaging around in car I found it lurking under passenger seat. Feisty little thing, kept trying to bite me. Viv had a cardboard box with air holes so we transferred it, much to its annoyance. They confirmed that it did not have proper wing feathers yet so should never have left nest. They are going to be catching flies to feed it, bless them.

After that I did not feel like driving back to original destination so we just lounged about on the reserve and Wispa had a swim.

• Like 1

Good boy Hugo.

Light rain forecast for us this afternoon and evening. Hope it arrives as it is my turn for watering at the reserve. Will still need to do polytunnels but might get the baby tree nursery done by the heavens.

Hoping everyone has a good day xx

Ruby's appointment went well. The surgeon is a lovely chap. He gave Ruby loads of time to ask questions and answered them fully as well as talking her through the surgery and after care. The op will be on the 16th August in the private wing of The Freeman. Time wise it's about on a par with the NHS service but would have been quicker if he hadn't already had holidays booked. However, he reassured us that if it is cancer, and in his opinion it is, there its very unlikely that it will spread beyond where it is now for some time and it will be out long before then. He did remind us though that, although it looks like it hasn't spread, very occasionally he get's a case that appears from scans to be contained but turns out otherwise.

About 10% of patients who present with these renal tumours have them turn out benign. He won't biopsy it in advance because there is a risk involved so we won't know until the kidney and tumour have been removed and it's gone to pathology.

He intends doing it by keyhole surgery but has warned that he might have to resort to more radical surgery as most people only have one major vein and one artery connecting the kidney to other areas. However every now and again they get some one who presents with more than their fair share and Ruby is one of those! She has 2 major veins and 2 arteries!

Ruby has to go back prior to the surgery to have an anaesthesia check where she will go on a treadmill and bike to check out her vital signs & stamina in case the anaesthetist needs to adjust anything.

The surgeon told us that he will be the one doing the surgery and as she's going private it won't use it as a teaching experience so it will be him and him only during the op and that Ruby will see him for her follow-up's which might not have been the case with the NHS.

He explained that if cancer is confirmed they will monitor Ruby closely over the next 5 years. If all is well they will scale back the monitoring but still continue it for a further 5 years. If she gets to the 10 year mark with no problems she will be considered cancer free. Once they know exactly what they are dealing with if Ruby needs more treatment it won't be radiotherapy or chemo but immunosuppressant therapy.

And then he reminded us that of course there is still a chance that Ruby will turn out to be one of the lucky 10% who turn out to have a benign tumour but he wanted to lay it all out for her so she was clear on what was ahead.

I think that's it!