UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Aprils Chatty Time X

Jazz

Some companies insist that Caithness is an island despite the customer assuring them it is not.

We live in very rural area but deliveries are good now. Royal Mail is excellent.

Couriers are generally good when they receive the parcel but it can take a few days for it to reach them.

However, some still add a massive delivery charge while other only charge the same as the rest of the UK.

I accept that is takes more fuel to deliver up here and am happy to pay a slight increase in charge but some times delivery is cheaper for Europe or China than form England.

Blackmagic I hope you soon lots better. Your doctor sounds like a real character. It's fine if you get his humour but I am sure there will be some that don't care for it.

We haven't yet located the source of the smell but have narrowed it down to Ruby's bedroom. She has pulled it all to bits and found nothing. I think it's going to be something under the floorboards. We have solid walls so there is no gap for anything to get into.

I am seeing Evie and her family tomorrow which will be nice as I haven't seen them all since before Christmas.

Yantan, he is a character.

He is literally as wide as he is tall. He has a beard with a plum coloured streak down the middle of it and wears leather trousers- he uses a motorbike unless the weather is bad- and tshirts with pictures and slogans on them.

He used to have pictures of his rotties around his room but now it is pictures of baby polar bears.

He has a bundle of arrows - he does archery- and a guitar propped up against the wall alongside the mobile life support system for call outs.

He goes skiing every January with his 80 odd year old father. He is German so grew up skiing.

He has no time for you if you are not really ill but is excellent if you are. But don't expect any sympathy.

You are normally in and out in minutes ( his appointment tend to run early) but if you need time he will give you plenty. When JIm was having problems after his op we were in over half an hour one day.

He does really care about his patients and withdrew the practice from the NHS 24 OOH system and now does his own OOH cover, shared with the adjacent practice, after one Saturday he was tied up with the police and a sudden death and the GP in the adjacent practice was being called out despite there being a locum from NHS24 on duty.

They eventually found the locum in a local hotel dining room, eating his dinner, with his phone turned off.

Being so rural the normal OOH system is not practical when the nearest doctor could be three or four hours away, with no public transport or local taxis available to transport you to them.

He is a rare breed nowadays and, unfortunately, is due to retire next year.

• Like 1

just seen the yorkies bad side. mouse and jerry had a row, everyone joined in, but when it finished, kasy was trying to start a fight with jerry, she ignored her. because she was carrying on, I went to put kasy in the crate, she bit me, and meant it. my finger has swollen. great.

Oh Jazz, that's not good. Hope it's not infected and the swelling goes down soon. I've been really lucky and never had a dog bite where it was meant. Had a fair few accidental ones playing games etc, but never a deliberate one. Just as well as I've always had German Shepherds and Staffies lol. What do you do in that circumstance Jazz? I know you only have littlies but you still don't want them biting.

Your GP sounds brilliant Blackmagic. Shame he's coming up to retirement. I've no idea what my doctor's like as I've never seen her. I've been lucky enough to not need a doctor's appointment for over 10 years.

Hope you had a lovely time with Evie Yantan. Are you really going to have to take the floorboards up in Ruby's room?

Hope all is well with everyone. Another lovely sunny day here but this is meant to be the last hot one. Temperature down to 13 tomorrow but at least I'll get the grass cut at last. Tried doing it yesterday but it was just too hot and I had to give up. And it's not the done thing to do it on Sundays here so I couldn't attempt it today lol.

Hope your tummy starts behaving itself Griff and you feel better soon

Edited by eve

Yantan...the smell will go n around a week...does it smell kind of like rotting cabbage?? We had a rat impale itself on a nail under our floorboards years ago and it smelt like that...and my neighbour has a rodent issue at the moment, trouble is all our floors are connected!! She had one die as I could smell it and she was complaining about winter flies?? I told her not to put poison down as if it dies under the floor we all suffer but I suspect she did

Thanks for that Griff. We've tried to take the carpet up in Ruby's room today to get access to the floorboards but for some reason the fitter glued the underlay down and we would have had to rip quite a bit up. Ruby said she could live with it until it dissipates. It chokes me though. We can't understand how a rat (it has to be a rat rather than a mouse) could even get under her the floorboards if that's what it is. We did wonder if a bird had managed to get into the chimney breast and died there.

As for the smell the nearest I can get is sweaty socks x1000 that have been left somewhere for a very long time. It could smell the same as rotten cabbage but I don't recall having ever smelled that. The smell has taken us back to the time we had a dead rat under the sofa - on a very expensive carpet that had just been laid less than 2 weeks prior! It is the same smell.

We were told that the owner of the holiday let 3 doors down had put poison down after some visitors had complained about the noises coming from the attic! However someone else said another neighbour might have talked him out of doing that in favour of traps so who knows.

Gotta go meeting Evie.

That's the trouble... people just lob poison down but don't think about if the animal dies somewhere inaccessible...I despise poison anyway, cruel and dangerous...if you have to do it a trap is safer for dogs,cats, wildlife and you know exactly where the animal will sadly die

Have fun seeing Evie

Saw my mate last night... haven't seen her for nearly a year, she said had it not been for my dad being with me she would never have recognised me...the steward wants to take me out and get me a fella...not happening

I agree with you Griff on the poison being cruel. I've known a couple of cats who died due to catching mice/rats that had been poisoned.

I am paranoid about this damned smell now! Evie's mum came in yesterday to say hello to Archie (she was our first professional dog walker) and I asked her if she could smell anything. She said no "it always smells nice in here and it's no different today" so I told her about the smell upstairs and it being down to a dead varmint. Ruby is sleeping with Olbas oil on her pillows so it's not bothering her too much.

So Evie's mum asked me to bring a mug with me before we left the house so I asked if we were going on a pic-nic. She just smiled enigmatically. We got outside and I was looking around for their car when she ushered me over to a big campervan! They just bought it last weekend. It's perfectly functionable but still needs some work. They wanted a doer-up so they can put their own stamp on it. They plan to add solar panels to the roof, add a ladder at the back, replace the pull out awning, put a wood burning stove in so they can use it in the winter and get the whole van resprayed. It has it's own loo, bunk beds for Evie and Tristan and a pull out bed for the adults. Plus a nice sized fridge with a freezer compartment and an almost full size oven, grill and 4 burner top, a sink and draining board. Oh also a TV and a dock for a tablet plus electric lighting. It's just the thing for a young family. They are going to have so much fun with it.

Anyway Evie's step-dad drove us down to the lake where we parked right on the lake shore. He then proceeded to cook us chips and beans with a mug of tea each. I've never had a better tasting meal, it was really ace sitting there looking at our lake and enjoying the peace and quite. We stayed for a couple of hours, got the kids tired out so they would sleep on the way home and then they dropped me back here. I can't wait for their next visit!

Not a terribly nice day here. Very overcast and with some light rain.

• Like 1

When my son was in his late teens he lived in his camper for six months! He could have come up to live with us, but his work was in the South and his dad had a new lady friend he didn't like, so he opted for the camper. He seemed very happy in it. We'd love one, but we just can't afford it unfortunately.

Jazz, be careful with that bite, they can turn nasty very easily.

Very chilly today, I was mowing the lawn and I had to go and find a jumper! I moved some big heavy plant pots the other day and it may have been a mistake, I seem to have opened up part of the incision under my arm. Oops! Good thing I get my follow up on Friday, they might have to reglue it or whatever.