UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March's Mad Mutterings

merledogs

Hello Sam :wavey:

Speaking of clever dogs - Beau has realised that whenever he barks when I'm out of the room, Timmy runs to the living room door. Because they get a dried tripe stick whenever I leave in the morning, Beau has sussed that if he barks, Timmy leaves his tripe stick where it is (he eats very slowly and Beau snaffles his down in about five minutes) and runs to the door, hence Beau can nick Timmy's tripe stick. Little git :wub:

I think Timmy is going deaf in his old age. He's always been very sensitive to my voice but he seems to not hear me these days.

Edited by merledogs

Hi Sam, good to see you!

Murphy could have the problem our late lamented Dylan had, he could see things well at a distance, but not close up. You had to be careful giving him treats, as he'd get fingers with them. The vet said it's very common in older dogs, due to the change of the lens or some such thing. Clever boy to let another dog take the lead for getting in the car.

Hi Sam, good to see you!

Murphy could have the problem our late lamented Dylan had, he could see things well at a distance, but not close up. You had to be careful giving him treats, as he'd get fingers with them. The vet said it's very common in older dogs, due to the change of the lens or some such thing. Clever boy to let another dog take the lead for getting in the car.

One of my dalmatians had the same problem. He would see a treat on the floor and go to eat it, But he would miss it and then stand back and eye it up again, go to eat it and miss it.................

We used to say we shouldn't laugh but we couldn't help it.

He went totally blind eventually. Every morning since he was a pup he had been walked in the same area. It included scrambling through a gap in a stone wall. The fallen stones were lying in a heap and you had to walk over them. After he lost his sight he could still negotiate the gap without hesitation. But if one morning somebody had repaired the wall he would have crashed into it.

It is very interesting watching dogs interact with each other.

When Amber wanted the bone Shera had she would ask out ( by licking the back if my husband's hand) He would go into the kitchen with her to open the back door. Shera would hear somebody in the kitchen , which meant foooood. She would leave the bone and run into the kitchen, Amber would run back into the lounge and get the bone and Jim would be standing holding the back door open like a lemon.

It never failed to work.

In his elder years my dalmatian used to just go and stand at the back door when he wanted out. He never made a sound , just stood there. Often we would be sitting in the lounge and wouldn't notice . Amber would go to my husband and ask out but when he opened the door Sam would go out and Amber would return to the lounge. She didn't go out.

She was a very clever little dog all round but very wily.

Good to hear from you again Sam.

You do have a busy life but sound very happy with it.

I remember the early days.

When are you writing your life story?

• Like 1

Same here. Or rather, we have heavy rain tomorrow, next few days cloudy. I can start planting out buddleias which have always lived in tubs. Tomorrow can be spent unpacking more stuff and sorting. Still seeking the instructions and nuts and bolts for my new bed. Got it months ago but no point in assembling it before moving as it's a storage bed with a hydraulic lift gadget so you can get to the storage easily. Not straightforward to assemble. I have a couple of friends ready to help once I find instructions etc. If no luck will get replacements from manufacturer.

Good to hear from you after so long, Sam. It's remarkable how one small thing can set off a chain of events which will totally change your life. My involvement with Doglost and subsequent adventures happened because my very feisty cat needed a worming tablet so I popped down to vet for nurse to help me. While there I met someone whose dog had been stolen and decided to help him. But it was Wispa who led me into tracking adventures, and into helping train more people and dogs to do the same, even though old school thinking decrees that a dog can't track missing dogs. And Wispa only came to me because she was up on the Refuge in need of foster.

Owl try Googling for the instructions for your bed. You might find them online. It's worked for me on many things because I am a prize plank at losing instruction books.

It's a lovely morning here but the forecast isn't great for the rest of the easter weekend.

I've been up a while with Archie. His acid reflux is bothering him again. He's going off with the DW today so I want to get him comfortable before she calls for him. He's starting to settle.

Sorry for not updating you all yesterday I was having "one of them days" which I did mention on faceache but forgot to then post on here as well *doh* I woke yesterday morning very dizzy and muzzy headed I do get PVD from time to time so I'm used to it and know to take things careful until such time as my balance settles back down again or I get Rob to help me do the head tilting thing to try and settle my inner ear down, yesterday was my day off which I had planned to be a nice relaxing and quiet day at home in front of the PC so it should have been fine however ....

The doorbell for one reason or another had been going off all ruddy day, gas/electric meter reader, water meter reader, parcel force, random people wanting to tarmac my drive grrrr anyway it has meant that I was rushing back and forth to the front door from my office which is at the back of the house and it made my dizziness really play up.
To cap it all off nicely the gardeners turned up unexpectedly so I had to run to the front door to see who it was, realise it was the gardeners, run back to the backdoor to retrieve the padlock keys for the side gate, run back to the front door to unlock the side gate and let them in then run back out the back garden to do a quick poo pick which I hadn't because of the dizziness, whilst the 2 gardeners started on the edges and clear part of the lawn. So I bent down to pick up the poo and face planted right in front of them, I instantly shot to my feet in embarrassment only to fall sideways into a bush still clutching the bag of poo, having flailed around for what seemed like forever in the bush I pulled myself free and literally zig zagged my way across the lawn staggering like a drunk on a bender to the greenhouse where we put the bags for disposal and somehow managed to pull the entire greenhouse door off the runner and into my arms! At which point I realised all lawn mower and strimmer sounds had ceased and both gardeners were staring at me open mouthed. I somehow managed to manhandle the door back onto the runner and made my escape back into the house utterly mortified!
I had hoped that would be the end of it however last night we took MIL out for a Chinese at our favorite buffet restaurant for once I did plan ahead and thinking things miiight get a bit messy I chose to wear a leopard t shirt figuring if I did spill anything it wouldn't show too much and any stains would just look like more leopard spots - this was very good thinking on my part! It started when I stepped out of the car and immediately fell against the car alongside us so I got soaking wet all down my side - it continued when having sat us at a table right by the buffet in full view of everyone I bent down to put my bag on the floor and headbutted the table with a loud THUD and a louder *OWwww* from me. Not forgetting the fact that for every bite of duck pancake I took a dollop of hosin sauce landed on my chest - similarily the Peking sauce ribs, chicken curry, beef in black bean sauce .......etc etc etc so can anyone tell me whyyyy I chose to go for the marshmallows and chocolate fountain? Nope me neither. :ph34r_anim: We have Owen coming to stay today and I suspect he wont get half as much food down his front and in his hair as I did last night!

OH flip did I forget to post that too? I heard from the hospital on Wednesday that they were hoping to operate on 6th April however they hadn't received my heart scan results that I had on 22nd Feb! She asked me to stay available in case she needed me to go in again so had to take the day off work and then I heard nothing! However she phoned first thing yesterday morning to say they were booking me in for the 6th and she'd send me all the info which I should have tomorrow *fingers crossed* they have found my results but they need to be OK'd by the anesthetist so she's emailed him but she is now going off on leave for Easter and won't be back until 4th April so they could still end up cancelling me last minute but we're proceeding as if its on unless I hear otherwise. TBH thats fine with me as people get cancelled because of bed shortages and emergencies all the time so its no real difference. It does mean though that I am now not in work again for several weeks as I'd always had next week booked off as leave for Easter and wasn't due back in again until the 6th myself and thats now out so I won't be back in now until after I've recovered however long that takes. it does mean that I miss my boss leaving and the new one starting and I won't be there to help train him up - although I've agreed they can phone me for advice if they need to after I've had the op.

The only thing thats narked me is that I had been assuming that since I hadn't heard anything about the heart scan everything must be OK whereas in fact no one has looked at the results yet so if something IS wrong its over a month since they said the scan was needed "urgently".

Hope you get yourself sorted soon snow :flowers:

Reminds me when I woke up with Vertigo. I thought at the time I was having a stroke and as the hospital is just at the top of the road I thought it would be quicker to get myself to the hospital than wait for an ambulance, so off I set, hanging onto garden walls all the way because every time I tried to stand up straight I lurched over to the left. Anybody who went past (not that were many as it was the early hours) must have thought I'd had a really good night, especially when I crawled across the road at the traffic lights on my hands and knees :blush: I can laugh about it now but it was really scary at the time.

Kinky cat is not very well :( I can't work out whether she's in pain because she can't walk properly or whether she's staggering for some other reason. I'm given her some metacam and will be taking her to the vet tomorrow. I'm really worried because she's 18. I've had her since she was six weeks old so whenever I do have to say goodbye it's going to be awful :(