UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

March's Mad Mutterings

merledogs

Good for you Jazz, so 17 years ago today your new life started!!!!

Suzeanna, it is utterly baffling isn't it?? bet she was university educated too, my nan used to roar with laughter, she worked the bars in warwick uni...she had kids working for her who were some of the smartest kids in the country...yet they had no common sense at all, they used to go and pick up 2 glasses and she would ask what on earth they were doing...collecting glasses was the reply, she told them stack the glasses or get a glass carrier and they could get more done...the shock on their faces as it genuinely never occurred to them lol

• Like 1

Good for you, Jazz.

Washing machine now working again and very busy catching up. The fault was a silly one, caused by a plug which had been left in the drain tube. Repairmen also ran a diagnostic on machine and pronounced it in very good order in spite of its age.

But I have just seen he left it set to cottons 90° and it's nearly done. Hope everything hasn't shrunk. Silly owl for not checking. I always do everything at 40 and didn't look.

Electrician been back and got all sockets and lights working, plus put in some new sockets. We are getting there.

Edited by owl
  • Like 1

I once worked with an ultra smart Oxford university student who, although he was incredibly clever, had no common sense whatsoever.

He came to me one day asking what he should do as he had a customer who wanted a particular rucksack but he couldn't find any in stock. I told him that in that case he could sell the display sac if the customer was OK with it having been opened and stuffed with paper for the display and that he could offer a 5% discount because of that.

A couple of minutes later I saw him struggling to get the stuffed sac into a plastic bag. I leant over and whispered to him to remove the paper that was filling it out. The look on his face was priceless as the realisation of what he'd been doing came to him.

That was only one of many instances I could relate about him.

He went on to work for NASA designing computer systems for the shuttle.

I was luckier than I deserved. Nothing seems to have shrunk and no colours have run. Whew!

I suspect that people get typecast as academic or practical very early on and are not encouraged to develop the skills which may not come easily to them. I was a quick learner academically but always let down by my inability to write very fast. On the practical side, I can learn to do things step by step and do get there in the end, and can even come up with original solutions to practical problems. The pressure on me was to accept I was useless at practical things and seek a future in academic life. Unfortunately I loathed it, and just couldn't make my hand write faster. I think most of us are capable of many diverse activities, and may have unexpected talents.

Sam I have been looking into your problems posting - from what I can tell there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to post with your own account, its not locked or restricted and not showing up as anything wrong this end. What exactly happens when you try and log in as you?

that the password or username is incorrect and I have tried to reset it but that did not seem to work either !