UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November's Non-Stop Natterings

merledogs

well there you go Jayne..... you are not the only person responsible for his care,as i say, a few minutes by each every day and he wouldn't mind being brushed

i have made myself ill, ate an orange cream sweet and it was hard instead of soft...i did the same thing last year too and got an upset tum then, i am an idiot

Sounds like a nice little walk Owl, we don't see people round here very often and those i do see have dogs that are out of control...i don't let mine say hello to those and i worry about Kota jumping up and dirtying somebody so i pop her back on the lead.

I have been frozen today, put the heating back on as soon as i got up

Morning from a very wet, really really wet, Cumbria. It's like someone turned a tap on and forgot to turn it off.

We arrived back in the UK on Sunday after an awful journey. Security was stepped up even higher and I got stopped both at JFK and Heathrow as officials examined a "suspicious" package in my luggage. It was a jar of pumpkin butter which my US friend gave me! A US official kept shouting at us in a queue to move along whilst we were all trying to put our things in the trays for examination. I am 56 with a temporary gammy leg and carrying far more weight than I should. I cannot move fast. So I lost it after she singled me out for extra shouting and shouted back at her. Other passengers joined in and she shut up.

The security guy who pulled me over to check the "suspicious" package was lovely though and this check took place behind a small barrier to that no other passengers could see what was in my suitcase. This was not the case at Heathrow where all the cases pulled over for inspection due to what they saw on the xray images were opened in full view of other passengers. There was an elderly lady ahead of me who was really embarrassed to have her worn undies pulled out and shown to the world. In the US the security man replaced everything in my case just as he found them but at Heathrow the chap there just bundled them all in with no care shown whatsoever.

I do get that all the added security is necessary and there to keep us all safe but there are areas where they could do it with just a bit more politeness and efficiency.

Anyway all of this caused us to almost miss our connecting flight to Newcastle.

Then when we arrived in Newcastle I had an asthmatic attack and had to go sit down to recover whilst Ruby claimed our luggage back. We were first off the plane and Ruby's case appeared quite quickly and then we waited for mine. And waited. And waited. Eventually everyone else had gone and we were alone in the baggage reclaim area with one airport official. A lone red suitcase was going round the belt. I realised then that some other passenger had taken my case and left their own. I wouldn't care but apart from being the same colour they were nothing alike!

I filled in a report with the lady official who told me that the airport and airline were not responsible for getting the case back to me as it was a passenger who took it away. I asked how I would get it back and she said it was up to the other passenger to return it directly to me. This happened to a colleague of Ruby's earlier this year and she ended up having to drive half-way to meet the person who took her bag as they refused to come all the way to Cumbria with it. Oh heck! You can imagine how I was feeling by now!

Anyway we had been home about a half-hour when a chap rang from the airport to say the other passenger had returned to the airport with my case and to reclaim his own. They told him all of the above but gave him the option of paying for a courier to deliver my bag to me if he would pay for it and the airport would take my bag and arrange for that to happen. Fortunately he paid up. However with it being a Sunday the airport couldn't get a courier until yesterday. I am delighted to say my bag arrived safely this morning!

The other good news is that my phone arrived by special delivery about 20 minutes later. Yay!

I just want to go on record that I am never, ever leaving these shores again other for a day trip to the Isle of Man.

Right off to test the gammy leg by taking Archie for a walk. I think we have a break in the weather so better take advantage!

Alicia here's your hug :GroupHug: and an extra one for good measure :GroupHug:

Well found I could not drive very well with the gammy leg - actually it was the ankle that was bothering me rather than the really sore bit on my shin. I wore my walking boots thinking they would give my ankle support but all they've done is press on it and make it really hurty. I had to drive home with one bare foot.

I've made an appointment to see a doc tomorrow afternoon, first one I could get and I am going to cancel my mammogram on Thursday because I realise now that it's too far for me to drive too safely - 70 mile round trip.

Hope everyone else is having a better time of it than me!