UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Augusts All Talking

Jazz

I would say they are some kind of beetle :)

Glad your breakfast was yummy Marion :)

Am en route home from Bristol. Could have stayed for another couple of days, but work is calling me! Decided to buy a wifi pass for the train home, so chose to pay by text - this didn't work, so paid with my debit card (it was only £2.50). Anyway, it said the text one would take 30 seconds, as it had taken about 3 mins, I paid with my card. About 2 mins after I had paid by my card, I got an activation code sent to my phone :rolleyes: :laugh: So now I have 4 hours of wifi instead of 2 :rolleyes:

Had a fab day yesterday, we played crazy golf at Cheddar Gorge, then went to Weston Super Mare to the pier. That was actually quite good fun, I went on a helter skelter and a driving simulator. Me and mum raced against each other on the driving simulator, then dad had a go - he kept crashing, which me and mum found quite funny. Afterwards, he said he found it really difficult and that me and mum made it look really easy!

I had to look up quesilladas to know what they were. Yummy!

What handsome beetles :luvlove: but they are wrong shape for oil beetles which are longer bodied. I think they are a species of dung beetle, probably dor beetle. Do they have fine grooves on their wing cases?

No idea what a quesillada is but glad you enjoyed it.

Beetles of some sort. No idea if they should be on a compost heap but assuming won't do any harm

Bit dim tonight aren't I

I don't know if I am starting with Tonsilitis or have an ulcer on one of them but feel rough and tonsil is blooming painful. Dad has the view that when grown up children should do all the running. Or so he tells me. I think he's just been lazy to be honest. Martyn spluttered a few weeks back as the excuse for him and stepmother not visiting us the last few years is because she couldn't make the trip in the car due to dodgy health. Yet we discovered she managed to go to Rhos On Sea (in North Wales) with friends for a week. We were always put on a guilt trip as to why we couldn't go see them more often and couldn't we go in the week if weekends were a problem. They never took on board that we worked and had dogs to look after never mind the house etc. She is 2 miles from him and goes to see him every Sunday. (According to him) Spoke to him yesterday. He went in an adapted taxi with her to see an unfurnished apartment that has a canteen, laundry facility etc. Said it was big and I couldn't stop myself from asking if that's the way he's heading couldn't she move in with him. After all surely they both just want to be together. I really wish he would wake up.

Morning,

Thank you for the suggestions everyone and the link owl. I will go back and see if they are still on the top. When I first saw them they reminded me of stag Beatles. We have no cattle around here, closest would be a few wild dear. Very peculiar!

I will be in the office today...they should get it finally sorted!!

Michelle, I agree with Alex, don't let him guilt trip you. Build the visits into your normal life, I don't think that adult children have to run around after their parents they also have their own life to live. x

There are many other beetles not on those pages. Do they have anything distinctive on their heads? How big are they? There are some similar ones in the same family as stags but without the horns, or with smaller ones.

Sorry folks, beetle nerd here :cool02:

I'm still struggling to find something Jayne - a lot of it is that I really dont want to risk the USA holiday by spending money that could go towards that one, found a 3 day 5* break to Budapest that looks good but thats over £600 for the 2 of us plus whatever spending money we take etc and I then hit the omg £1k for 3 days????? mental barrier lol Can see me booking a travel lodge in the uk again *laffin

Ouch! Have you looked on Secret Escapes? They usually have some deals on :) If you can, have a look for all inclusive, then you know you don't need any extra money. When I went to Egypt the first time, I took £100 and brought £70 back. Most of the money was spent at the airport on food and a fez and other random carp :laugh: My brother and his OH went to Turkey this year and absolutely loved it, they aren't beach bums but found loads of stuff to do - I know you said you didn't fancy Turkey, but it is proving popular this year with a lot of my friends and patients and they have all loved it :)

I'm still struggling to find something Jayne - a lot of it is that I really dont want to risk the USA holiday by spending money that could go towards that one, found a 3 day 5* break to Budapest that looks good but thats over £600 for the 2 of us plus whatever spending money we take etc and I then hit the omg £1k for 3 days????? mental barrier lol Can see me booking a travel lodge in the uk again *laffin

try dropping the star rating a bit and see if you can get a better deal , I agree 1k for 3 days is rather a lot for Europe. Have you ever considered Iceland ? its on my short break list and looks pretty interesting plus you might even see the Northern Lights

when are you planning on the USA trip ?

Ouch! Have you looked on Secret Escapes? They usually have some deals on :) If you can, have a look for all inclusive, then you know you don't need any extra money. When I went to Egypt the first time, I took £100 and brought £70 back. Most of the money was spent at the airport on food and a fez and other random carp :laugh: My brother and his OH went to Turkey this year and absolutely loved it, they aren't beach bums but found loads of stuff to do - I know you said you didn't fancy Turkey, but it is proving popular this year with a lot of my friends and patients and they have all loved it :)

I had never heard of Secret Escapes , it appears they do a thing on a Thursday with deals for the upcoming weekend which looks like its worth keeping an eye on

The Budapest one is from Secret Escapes lol That price is 50% off the full price :confused: the 3 days is £600 but I allowed £400 on top for spending and food etc.

The USA trip was originally going to be March/April this year but when MIL got ill we had to shelve it so we pushed it back to October this year but couldn't book until we knew Sal was going back home and mil was getting better, we have the time off work already booked but didn't dare book flights. In March the Premium Economy tickets were £700 odd each now they are over £1,000 each! In January I even saw them in the sale for £600 odd each. So now we have a dilemma, do we hang on and wait and see if they come down again as October gets closer and then rush around trying to get hotels etc. last minute or do we postpone until March/April next year and try and grab sale tickets in January provided they have any in the sale?

We know premium economy is a luxury (well it is to us lol) and will add an extra £600 over the cost of the standard economy seats but theres a whole long list of reasons why thats the only way we'll consider going, some of them down to comfort now that they have yet again reduced the cattle class seat sizes, some of them due to this being a "special" trip for us to celebrate/commemorate lots of life changing events over the past 2 years and its unlikely we'll be able to afford to go again for several years, so its non negotiable, thats also why we want it to be Virgin as their Premium Economy is more like business class whereas BA or the American airlines charge similar for a lot less "premium perks".

If we do postpone we still really really need to have a holiday/break this year - we haven't had a break of any kind since before Nicks wedding, since then its been non stop with mums cancer, mum dying, Rob leaving the RAF, us moving house, new jobs, new life, mil getting ill etc. etc. we are starting to really feel it mentally and physically hence looking for a really really REALLY cheap break that wont involve us dipping into the ring fenced USA funds.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to fly PE - I am treating myself to PE when I fly to Mexico with Thomson. However the PE with Thomas Cook gives you very few benefits, so am flying cattle class and hoping for a free upgrade as I got last time I flew with Thomas Cook :ninja:

What you need is a friendly travel agent who knows when the sales are on for each airline - when I took mum to New York, I had been advised when BA had a sale on by one of my patients (who was a friendly travel agent), and booked the flights then. It cost just over £1k for flights and accommodation for both of us, which I didn't think was too bad :)