UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2012

eve

I've spent the past couple of hours digging over an empty border, digging in lots of compost, then planting three Camellias and two Rhododendrons and mulching it all with some bark chippings. One of the Rhodos I've moved is the pink one which I posted a pic of. It now lives in the front garden.

digging.gif

Edited by merledogs
  • Like 3

I've just purchased some bargain daff/bluebell type plants which are nearly done and down to £1 per pot. I am off to plant them in the bottom part of the garden which will become and wildflower/grass area :cool02:

I have some other bulbs to put in as well as packs of seed for various wildflowers, this is where my fruit trees will live and hopefully will be nice splash of colour as well as attracting butterflies etc.

• Like 2

I've dug out a circle at the front which is raised. It was choc full of some sort of bulbs which never seemed to flower, so I've had to dig out literally hundreds of little bulbs. Then I dug it over with some compost and mowed the lawns front and back.

I've removed the termporary fencing which I put up each winter, so the dogs can now get on the grass - so it now feels like it's officially spring :cheer:

I've put the indoor plants outside to get a bit of sun on their ickle faces. :cool02:

• Like 2

My outside tap is dripping slightly. It's connected to the water softener so it's salty water. Would this be bad for my plants/veggies? I hate the water being wasted (I'll have to get a new tap, it's not just a simple washer issue, when I have a few bob) so it would be great if I could use a bucket to collect it and use it.

I bought a Lavatera when I was at Hever Castle last year. It's not grown very much at all and just looks thoroughly miserable where it is in the back garden. It's very shady where it is so I think I'm going to have to move it elsewhere. Can anybody suggest a shrub that I can put in it's place? It's got a tree and a gigantic bamboo type plant over-shadowing that area and the soil is utter pants.

I bought a Lavatera when I was at Hever Castle last year. It's not grown very much at all and just looks thoroughly miserable where it is in the back garden. It's very shady where it is so I think I'm going to have to move it elsewhere. Can anybody suggest a shrub that I can put in it's place? It's got a tree and a gigantic bamboo type plant over-shadowing that area and the soil is utter pants.

Fatsia Japonica, Hypericum Calycinum, Berberis, Mahonia.

I'm very disappointed with my rhodies at the moment, they had nice big fat buds which have all gone browny black and dropped off! Only one, a deep red one, is actually trying to flower. Do you think it was lack of water? Too much rain? Frost on them? or just plain bad luck? I lost my lovely camellia after the snow the winter before this one so I've dug it out...the only things really going well in the garden are dandelions and flame of the forest, they are growing like mad!

I'm very disappointed with my rhodies at the moment, they had nice big fat buds which have all gone browny black and dropped off! Only one, a deep red one, is actually trying to flower. Do you think it was lack of water? Too much rain? Frost on them? or just plain bad luck? I lost my lovely camellia after the snow the winter before this one so I've dug it out...the only things really going well in the garden are dandelions and flame of the forest, they are growing like mad!

I have many rhodies in my garden - all at least thirty years old and huge. Two years ago the same thing happened with mine- lots of big buds and then a total ot two flowers on one bush.

Last year they flowered as normal.

This year they are laden with buds so here's hoping for a good show.