UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Garden Fred 2012

eve

I'm miles away from all the major supermarkets mecry.gif Though thinking about it - it's probably just as well. I would probably give Alex a good run for her money laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Marge - sounds like you're spoiled for choice cool.gif

I potted up five camellias yesterday - the others are going in the border. Some of the Camellias I bought had been bunched together in one pot (which the growers do sometimes to make the plant look more bushy). Three of them were like this, but all had separate stems, so I separated them and ended up with eight plants out of three biggrin.gif

P1000207.jpg

P1000211.jpg

That means I now have 12 Camellias and 11 Clematis to plant out, plus a Honeysuckle and a Ceanothus which I have no idea where to put.

My Daphnes which I ordered a while ago arrived last week. They are only young plants but they look like they are about to bloom ...

P1000223.jpg

P1000227.jpg

The two Bonsai trees I rescued recently both seem to be doing okay. The first one - a Chinese Elm - is growing happily and the other has little flower buds on it. I got told yesterday by the woman in Bents that I shouldn't repot them until after Mother's Day or they would die. I didn't tell her I already had laugh.gif

I went to B&Q today to buy lots of compost so all the potting and planting can begin. Too early to plant out the Clematis until at least April (in case we have more frosts) but I have already potted the five Camellias which I'm keeping in planters. There are seven more which are going in the border. Another baby red one may have jumped onto my trolley at B&Q rolleyes.gif

I've put together the obelisk which I'm going to train the honeysuckle up, but don't know whether I'm going to put it in a pot or in the garden (and if so, where).

I've just got to figure out what's going where now, keep changing my mind.

I'm running out of space!!! laugh.gif

Edited by merledogs

I've been gardening again.

I dug up the roots of the yonks-old climbing rose next to the garage, then potted up various plants and had a shuffle round of others.

This Skimmia Japonica Rubella was under the pergola with three of its friends. They are all doing well but this poor mite isn't - probably because when I pulled him up from the front garden, I left most of his roots behind. I've potted him up and given him a good dose of Seaweed feed with Iron which will hopefully green those leaves up a bit.

P1000321.jpg

Sarcococca confusa (sweet box). This gives off the most delicious scent all the way through Jan/Feb, hence I'll put it by the patio doors once it's had a summer full of sun to help it grow a bit bigger.

P1000267.jpg

Buddleja. Looks small at the moment by in a few months will be much bigger and flowering for the bees and butterflies.

P1000324.jpg

Ceanothus southmead (California lilac). This was one of the £1.79 plants I bought from Morrisons. It looks like it's got some buds coming through.

P1000265.jpg

Prunus laurocerasus (laurel). Young plant which I bought towards the end of last summer. I potted it up when I bought it and it's developed a good strong root system, so hoping for more top growth this year. It'll be used for screening once it's bigger.

P1000276.jpg

A table full of Camellias - eight of which are about to be planted out in borders.

P1000328.jpg

Daphne x transatlantica Eternal Fragrance - quite rare and extremely toxic (hence why they are raised). They have flower buds on as well.

P1000228.jpg

P1000227.jpg

I've shuffled the plants on the drive so they are all up the sunny end. The bottom end, where some plants were, gets very little sun and I've had problems with a few of them getting fungal diseases through the wet conditions. This will be my portable hedge - should reach above fence height this year and give me some screening from neighbours (our lawns are raised so if they stand on theirs they can see into my kitchen).

P1000313.jpg

I like taking pics when they are young, then comparing year by year how much they've grown.

Next job will be jet washing the drive - my least favourite job of the year rolleyes.gif

Edited by merledogs

I got home about 3.30 today, and it was a lovely sunny day, so I pottered about in the garden. Repotted a lilac with a very large, very heavy root ball. Planted two honeysuckles in a planter with an obelisk, planted some bulbs in a trough and gave all the containers a thoroughly good watering.

Have planted out five Clematis today. One in a planter and the others in strategic places around the garden. Ground was really soggy following heavy/persistent rain yesterday and overnight.

I've only grown one Clematis previously in a planter where its growth was very restricted, so I'm hoping all those I've planted out are going to grow well.

Edited by merledogs

That's all looking good Alex, will they flower at different times of the year? :unsure:

Most of my plants seem to be spring flowering, ie the Rhodos, Camellis, Wisteria and Lilac. The Clematis and Honeysuckle are all summer flowering (apart from one Clematis), some of the other stuff is Autumn and Winter flowering. I've tried to space the flowering periods out, but then I find myself obsessed with Rhodos and Camellias so mostly end up buying those rolleyes.gif

I have bought three Camellias off Prince Charles today - he does have a fabulous selection wub.gif Well not actually off Charles, but from his Duchy of Cornwall Nursery website laugh.gif Well they had an offer on, if you bought three then you got free delivery. I wish I lived closer so I could visit in person, but then maybe not because I'd be in there constantly.

I seem to have picked up an Umbrellla tree from work as nobody was looking after it. It was actually two in the same pot so I've split them. As if I don't have enough outdoor plants to look after.

Here are my two bonsai trees which I've recently bought and liberated into larger pots. They will get re-potted into larger planters every couple of years so that they can grow properly. They will have to stay a certain size though so that I can keep them inside in winter as cold weather would kill them off.

P1000255.jpg

I've just pulled up 274 sycamore seedlings from my back garden in about 10 minutes. That's the third batch this week too - they grow like weeds!

Never buy a house if your neighbour has a sycamore tree, they are the most unsuitable trees for the average garden!