UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Baby Killed By Rottweiler

KathyM

But like others have said, because it was a dog all hell breaks loose in the tabloids.

Where are the press reporting about quad bikes, parents leaving kids unattended etc??? Not juicy enough I guess.

Kazz xx

I have a feeling that part of it is because the parents that buy the papers are more comfy reading stories where something else is getting the blame for what has happened. They don't want to be made to feel that they are being irresponsible by leaving their kids and dogs together, after all it takes work and forethought to supervise them properly.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately most owners don't understand dog language, apart from some poor training classes in the Wakefield area, there is nowhere for them to go to learn about dogs. When we first got Dixie and Tommy we found a training club that is run by volunteers that is the best around. When I got Bonnie I wanted to take her to a training class but there wasn't one suitable, they were all yank and pull. Some of the classes are dangerous.

I have never been to a training class in my life - everything I have learned has been via the net or books/dvds/videos. All it takes is a basic interest and there are lots of different resources you can read on the net without having to spend lots of money :flowers:

Here's an idea, maybe DNB could produce a booklet giving guidance on dog ownership, including some basic behavioural information, care, how to teach dogs and children to interact, explanation of the DDA, etc. I wonder if the Kennel Club/RSPCA would assist/sponsor such a booklet, which could then be made available via the KC/RSPCA/DNB websites (either downloadable or they could request a copy to be posted)? We could also put copies in vets (I am happy to approach my local vets to ask them if I can leave some of them in reception) :flowers:

ETA : I have started a separate thread on the above idea in DNB forum.

Edited by madmerle

Sunday People article.

I got as far as slavering beast and my brain refused to process any more of that utter tripe ... I scrolled down looking for melps comments and she did NOT in any of the things they quoted her as saying say "owners are all to blame" and I'd be demanding they print an apology!

Tabloid journalism at it's absolute worst.

I have never been to a training class in my life - everything I have learned has been via the net or books/dvds/videos. All it takes is a basic interest and there are lots of different resources you can read on the net without having to spend lots of money :flowers:

Here's an idea, maybe DNB could produce a booklet giving guidance on dog ownership, including some basic behavioural information, care, how to teach dogs and children to interact, explanation of the DDA, etc. I wonder if the Kennel Club/RSPCA would assist/sponsor such a booklet, which could then be made available via the KC/RSPCA/DNB websites (either downloadable or they could request a copy to be posted)? We could also put copies in vets (I am happy to approach my local vets to ask them if I can leave some of them in reception) :flowers:

Good idea

I've only been to one training class with Izzy and when asked to let go of her lead in a field with no fences - I walked out. Havent been back to a class since.

Everything I have learnt is from growing up with dogs and watching them - as they watch me.

That is how I learnt as well but unless things are told to people in simple terms they don't think. We all see posts from people who have got a dog and don't understand why the dog doesn't do as it is told, they never thought to teach the dog and if they did, they didn't know how. This is the way it is in this area, there are some very good dog owners who have learnt, but many who wouldn't know how to start.

Many years ago when I done voluntary work for the RSPCA Wakefield Branch, I tried to introduce an education program because of this but couldn't get the backing. This was aimed mainly at children because they are the future dog owners. If I had got this going, the children then are now the adults of today.

We tried to book training classes for our 2 Vizslak. Bracken was accepted as he was a pup. As Fergus was 2 when we got him we were not allowed to take him. I have ended up training both of them myself, having continued with things picked up from Bracken's puppy training classes, researching, other bits from books, internet and advice from others and trying them out. I've now decided to hell with it and am starting a course on training, behaviour and psychology.

good idea :flowers:

I got as far as slavering beast and my brain refused to process any more of that utter tripe ... Tabloid journalism at it's absolute worst.

have to agree with this. i've stayed away from any reporting of this tragedy but i read it and i wish i hadnt.

what got me was reciting the 'roll of horror' of three fatal rottie attacks - three since 1996. if we're playing the statistics card 3 in 11 years is very few compared to OTHER preventable accidental deaths.

I liken it to the reporting of paedophile murders. Just as rare as but, like 'devil dogs' these stories sell papers and always will whilst brainless mugs lap up 'the facts'.

I have read this thread right through and agree with some comments and disagree with others but what is important is the sympathy for the child,the dog and the family. I don't think it matters who was to blame this has been a terrible time. As most people know I have had lots of rotties here,rescues and my own, but I never leave them alone with children. My Ebbi (my only rottie now) is the sweetest,gentlest dog you could ever meet but all my dogs are trained to leave the room when I leave and i shut the door.If I am going upstairs/outside the dogs are then put behind the gate in the hall. No matter how good the dogs or kids are it is a dangerous mix if they are left alone.The dog was second hand,no mention of its former home,it could have been cruelly treated or tormented by children or it might have jumped for a toy in the childs hand and got over excited,no one will ever know.All I do know is that another anti rottie frenzy will start and every rottie will be blamed. :angry:

Rest peacefully dear child and poor dog. x

We tried to book training classes for our 2 Vizslak. Bracken was accepted as he was a pup. As Fergus was 2 when we got him we were not allowed to take him. I have ended up training both of them myself, having continued with things picked up from Bracken's puppy training classes, researching, other bits from books, internet and advice from others and trying them out. I've now decided to hell with it and am starting a course on training, behaviour and psychology.

What course are you doing Michelle?

I've wanted to do something like this for a long time and each time I come to research it I get confused with the ones that are available. There are so many! Is it OU, an FE college course, a home study pack, something approved by ADPT....? :wacko:

I've been to two training classes and picked up some good techniques but have learned more from other sources, like many others. I don't think you should ever stop learning.

Edited by Peachy

So you should, Chasta - be proud.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...d=1770&ct=5

From the Daily Mail's article today (and we must bear in mind this is press reporting and not established as fact), it would seem that the dog was neither a pet, nor a rescue, and certainly not one that should've been near children, despite her supposed interaction in the past.

A quote from that article:

"I've been worried about it ever since it arrived, it was a vicious-looking thing and massive, coming almost up to my waist. When anybody walked past, it would go mad, leaping up at the gate."

Just down the road from me were 3 of the loveliest rotties I know, sadly one recently had to be PTS due to bone cancer, they live with a 5 yo girl and are superb with her.

But they do jump up and bark at the gate when anyone goes near, but if by accident the gate has been left open they won't come through it. Meet them out on a walk orwhen they have just jumped out of the car and they are friendly happy souls.

So just because it warned of people coming near neither means it was vicious or a guard dog, surely it is what most dogs do

Hello.

I have been offline for a few weeks due to a broken computer. Fridays events and the massive fallout have caused me to but a new puter while the other is still being repaired simply to get back online and help the wonderful people i work with. Then i saw this:

Well I believe the owners or someone should be held accountable. There are owners of Rotties and other breeds on here that know there dogs yet still take every reasonable sensible precaution even though there dogs have shown no aggression but are responsible dog owners. I can only see it from my point of view and a child is dead someone is responsible. And if someone is not responsible then its going to tar the whole breed.

They need to make an example of some dog owners so people are MADE to be responsible for there animals and then less desirable dog owners wont want to own such powerful breeds they have no knowledge of.

I personally believe that if anyone loses a life especially in the instance of a child then someone MUST be held responsible. It is just to serious in MY eyes to be put down to an accident. I have 2 kids myself and it is unbearable to think about. The ramifications for the parents and witnesses will continue a lifetime, the buck should stop somewhere or else the same thing will happen again in 12 months and it will be another childs life lost, there has been to many kids lost there lives.

I cant help my opinion and feel my point is as relevant as others is but if I am honest am seeing this from the viewpoint of a Mum and not a dog owner/ fosterer

What planet are you on?

With all due respect, do you not think that everyone conected to this incident will hold themselves responsible? You say you know people who have lost children, so have i. Thankfully not thro a dog attack but other unexpected reasons and they blame themselves. NOTHING you do to those involved in this horrific incident will make them feel any worse or make them anymore responsible around their children.

You want these people to be hauled thro a court and shamed any further? Will that bring back this baby? Will it make them realise something has gone wrong? No uit bloody wont. So instead of wanting to punish those whose hearts are currently breaking how about you think of something that stops these innocent children dying in the first place. Until then sit down and shut up!

Many years ago, in the village next to mine, a baby a few weeks old was visiting his grandparents.

The baby was put down to sleep in his carrycot, on the grandparents' bed. The door to the room was pulled to, but not shut properly, so that they could hear the bay if it cried.

After a while they did hear the baby crying and went investigate.

What they found was the baby being 'worried' by the grandparents' westie, who had climbed up on to the bed to investigate the 'squeaky thing' on the bed

Unfortunately, the baby died.

There was no furore or cry to ban all westies. It was only reported in the local paper.

It turned out the dog was an ex stud dog that they had had for a few months. He was returned to the breeders.

Did you live in the same village as me? I was about to quote this exact scenario.

This is the truth - ANY dog is capable of killing - the size and breed are immaterial.