UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July Already!

Jazz

Wispa and I are flat out with this heat. I did a wash load and went up to the reserve to water a polytunnel. The tomatoes and peppers were very glad to see me. Usually Wispa wants an evening walk after a hot day but today she didn't even ask. 

I'm staying indoors today with the fan running and not opening any doors or windows to keep the heat out. It's not going to be in the 30's but the forecast reckons we'll hit 27C by mid-day.

I think dogs will be better staying put if they can't get a walk near a cooling river, pond, sea or lake. We always have loads of visiting dogs here and I do hope their owners will make full advantage of our river and lake and not trail them around, especially in the town centre. Although many shops put out drinking water for them and also welcome them inside. One business had a big tub of water out which said "drinking water for dogs or people with low standards. We don't judge" which made me laugh muchly when I spotted it. I have a photo of it somewhere.

Owl how are you getting on with your painful neck and the sciatica?

I am much improved, thanks for asking. Neck and jaw were very bad yesterday so used cold gel pack which has helped. Wispa and I slept until nearly 8 this morning which is unheard of, did me the world of good. Haven't got round to telling you the full story of what set things back, but basically I flew through the air and tried to remodel a stationary hatchback with my jaw. Doesn't say much for the strength of modern VW hatchbacks that the car came off worst. Owner of car is someone I am helping find her dog, and bless her she said it was least of her worries. If it has been a Landy I would have demolished my face. Freak accident, lucky escape. Guardian angel now claiming overtime and danger money.

• Like 1

I would imagine your guardian angel is sobbing quietly over a bottle of vodka, Owl.

My two magpies have grown into four.  I guess they think the more of them, the more they can boss me into keeping the water and food full! Rather pleased last evening to see two bats swooping around over the garden, haven't seen any for ages.

I'm not here really..I'm mowing the lawn. At least, I should be but it's too darn hot.

Gosh Owl no wonder you've been experiencing trouble. You never do things by half!

Ruby was driving to work this morning behind a car which was following a council van. The council van braked suddenly and the car behind ran right into the back of it. Ruby, I am glad to say, was keeping to a safe stopping distance and had no trouble pulling up safely behind. It was early so there were no other vehicles about. Ruby waited for the driver of the car to get out but they didn't, nor did the 3 lads in the council van. So she got out and approached the car. There was a wailing woman sitting behind a triggered airbag and bits of car were all over the road. The car was full of smoke (from the airbags?) and the woman started screaming "I can't get out, I can't get out, get me out, please get me out". The bloody doors were wedged shut as they had been slightly distorted by the front of the car buckling. 

Anyway Ruby finally wrenched a door open and got her out. The 3 men in the council van had stayed in their vehicle but as they saw Ruby usher the woman over to the verge they finally got out. Ruby went into boss mode and pointed at one saying "All of you get over here off the road. Are any of you injured? You (pointing at one) Phone the police." They all said they were OK. Maybe in shock which oculd explain why they didn't recact for a while?

She asked why they braked so suddenly and they replied that an animal had run out in front of them. Ruby thinks it was a tall story but the woman didn't keep to a safe stopping so it's going to be on her. Ruby said she actually failed to even brake so she plainly wasn't paying attention. Anyway another car drove up, pulled over and the driver was a local GP so he took over looking after the woman. Ruby gave him her details and left to get to work as she had a busy day ahead. She passed an abulance and THREE police cars coming the other way on blues which were likely responding to that incident. She caught it all on her dashcam and will save it in case it becomes necessary for anyone to view it.

Has anyone seen Suzeanna? She's probably out mowing the lawn :laugh:

Wow, glad Ruby was sensible and had plenty of room to stop.

I mowed a bit of the lawn..we laid it in three parts, as we took up the pavers which covered most of it when we moved in, and it grows at different rates.  The longest stuff was shaded by our big parasol so I've done that, ventured into the sunny bit, muttered sod that for a game of soldiers and have retreated back in.  I was worried about Candy too...she insists on being near me and usually finds a shady spot but was in full sun.  Black dogs and heat a definite no no.  

• Like 1

hope your both ok. couldn't stay well for an hour out. lewis was too worried about me falling into things so we came home. did get reduced meat she had just put out so £6 worth will do me 15 meals. his sofa got sold as soon as it went out, so we are happy about that, and helped the charity shop. didn't get to look for summer bottoms though. did get another minion.

my friend is bringing the dog kennel round. if these don't like it the rescue can have it, or ill sell it. 

katies back legs arnt good. hope its just the heat

1 hour ago, suzeanna said:

I would imagine your guardian angel is sobbing quietly over a bottle of vodka, Owl.

And not for the first time either ...

Ruby doesn't do things by halves either. Good that she was there to take charge when everyone else was in shock.

Have decided that I dunked everything in polytunnels enough to see them through until tomorrow when the regular volunteers come in, and the outside plants and tree nursery should be OK as long as rain arrived as predicted tonight. So will just pop out to get some bread and then staying put until I go to chiropractor. 38C on patio. I keep refilling the bird drinking bowls as they get too hot.

I would rather like a summer bottom Jazz to replace my usual 3 season lard arse. I didn't know you could get them in a charity shop :thumbsup_still:

I have shut the blinds and curtains to keep the house as cool as possible. I hate heat. My neighbour is sitting out in the full sun and it's bloomin hot out there. Offically it's 24C but her garden thermometer is showing 32C and ours in the shade, just inside the front door, is showing 26C

Hopefully Candy is now in cool spot alongside you Suzeanna. 

• Haha 2

I decided that if the weather was going to pretend I am in Greece I'd had an afternoon nap for half an hour, with the fan on in the bedroom.  Oops...an hour and a half later.....!! Candy was happy, lying on the end of the bed with the fan on her. 

• Like 2