UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Ooh My Back, My Belly And My Two Sides

Yantan

My next door neighbour is Asian, they celebrate Christmas and Diwali, we send a card for Diwali and she always gives us samosas and the Indian sweets, this is the first year the drivers won't be allowed to wear the jumpers...but plans are afoot lol!

Owl, most of that has baffled me but I guess you were giving them a taste of their own medicine lol

Jazz, hope you manage to get to the shops

Suzeanna, how are you doing now?

I am bored... really bored, I have baked, cleaned, washed up, washed the cat bed, wrapped the rest of Steve and Molly's Christmas present...well 1 more to come for Steve and wrapped my family prezzies and even wrapped my dad's presents for my mum, not entirely sure what to do with myself now

Haha Owl that was brilliant. I wish I was as clever as you to be able to give god botherers who come bothering me a lecture like that. The last lot that were here were told to hop it. They replied that they had ony come to give people hope. I told them that I had hope already and that hope was that they would bugger off and stop bothering me.

I've spent yesterday and part of today wrapping presents. I love buying them for folk but wrapping them does my head in. I don't have full use of my right arm which doesn't help. I bought ribbon and bows and stuff intending to titivate them all but bugger that for a game of soldiers. Ruby might add the ribbons etc. for me next week as she finishes work this Thursday until after New Year.

If you all see a glow in the northern skies, or southern skies for those in Scotland, it's not the northern lights. It's the glow from the Xmas lights in my next door neighbour's and her neighbour's homes and gardens. Its like bloomin daylight at night when they are on. They are very pretty but less might have been more.

Edited for missing word.

Edited by Yantan

cards are posted and the neighbours are done. books to the charity bit in tescos. that's the last shop till Christmas so done my list to get it delivered.

just got vouchers through, so that and the last bit of my gift card, got a tenner off my shopping. got so much portioned up in the freezers they will last me weeks.

I have just posted my cards- all 12 of them.

Jim went to get his flu jab this morning. He missed it when he was ill. Found out our lovely practice nurse retires on Hogmany. She will be sorely missed. Her replacement has big boots to fill.

Our senior GP is due to retire some time next year so it will be all change. He will be missed by some. Others won't miss him. You have to understand his dry sense of humour.

I haven't started wrapping presents yet. I only give to family so just need them done before 21st when we travel down to Edinburgh.

Hopefully the garage will finished this week. The drive is a mess of mud and sand.

The wall replacing the old one is an extension of the existing side wall at the back of the garage. The builder added it on in a straight line but when he got to the front end it was out of alignment. He couldn't understand it until he measured the width of the back and the front. The front is wider than the back.

he remarked' 'it is not in straight'

Jim replied 'well nothing else is straight in this house.'

Obviously, in the 1890's they didn't have straight edges to line up the walls.

• Like 1

Yantan and Griff, I am not more clever than you, I am just an ancient history nerd. I know very little about cars, for instance, except what I have learned through mine going wrong, and I certainly could not mend one. I know more about how to invade Gaul or get a bunch of elephants from Carthage to Italy than how to fix a car. Guess which is more useful in this life? I rest my case :)

Yantan, I like your reply to them.

Had a long walk on the reserve with Wispa. Came back along the edge of a field where beet had been harvested. She found a beet half eaten by the roe deer and carried it back to the car to munch on the way home. She was a bit disappointed to leave it in her crate, but if it had come indoors she would have smuggled it into my bed.

Just a few cards being sent here. Minimal decorations. Only 10 days to solstice.

• Like 1

Loved your response to the Jehovas Owl. When I lived in London I had an earnest young born-again Christian come to the door. He asked me what I knew about Jesus and I told him that Jesus was a Jew and most probably a Rabbi as he was a teacher. Poor soul didn't have an answer to that, didn't want a debate and beat a hasty retreat - lightweight lol.

We don't have any straight walls either Blackmagic, another 1890's house. Luckily our builder liked a challenge when we were renovating. I do love a quirky old house though.

We don't send that many cards either anymore, 20 max and mostly to family and a few old friends. Mostly to do with not being at work now, when you were obliged to give cards to colleagues whether you liked them or not - was just the done thing.

Griff - what is the plan to get the drivers wearing their Christmas jumpers more often?

I'm still tired. Spent the day scrubbing a dining table and 6 chairs that we are giving away for free. I'm sure the couple picking them up in the morning won't care what condition they're in but I couldn't pass them on till they were spotless. Couldn't believe how dirty and greasy they'd got, shows what a lazy, manky person I've become lol. Maybe should take better care of the new ones we've just got.

To be fair Eve, I scrub our kitchen tiles and extractor with sugar soap fortnightly and each time I do it....it looks like it's never been done! I swear, since this kitchen got fitted...the grease is worse

Well.... Steve is going to wear his jumper Friday and his other Saturday and then a few of us are going to email Birmingham with our dismay at the lack of jumpers.... don't know what good it will do but there we go

Our house dates from the 1870's and there isn't a straight wall anywhere other than in the kitchen/bathroom extension we had built. Even the floor in the sitting room wasn't straight until we had it dug up and re-laid (concrete) I love the quirkiness but am a tad worried that prospective buyers won't.

I've nearly finished my wrapping. Ruby posted the cards this morning but we still have one to send but I have lost the little notebook I had the address stored in and I cannot find the address on-line. Poop.

Griff one of us cleans the tiles and extractor regularly but it takes no time for them to get all manky.

Jazz, it is not what you say but how you say it that matters. It is very wise to get help with the forms.

Yantan, we didn't think about straight walls when we bought this house. We loved it straight away, which was rather frightening.

I t is only as we have done things to the house that the squint walls were apparent.

There was a bump in the kitchen floor and when we lifted the vinyl to put tiles down we found a lump of hard concrete. When they had mixed the concrete for the solid floor they had just left the unused stuff to harden and whoever laid the vinyl laid it over the lump.

Nothing in this house was done to a very high standard which annoys JIm, who is a perfectionist when it comes to these things.