UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Ooh My Back, My Belly And My Two Sides

Yantan

Oh dear Owl I am afraid I laughed too. Mind you it's happened to me. A few years ago Evie's dad fixed my old Volvo estate up and listed it on ebay, handling all the sale details and hand over when it sold. In the listing he stated he was "selling for an elderly friend". I told him "I'll give you elderly you twonk". I guess to a 20 something a person in her mid 50's, as I was then, seems very old.

Ruby came back from a business trip to London a couple of years ago fuming because a young man offered her his seat on the tube. It made her feel soooooooooooooo old.

I'll bet the Red Hot Chilli Pipers were fabulous live.

We are going to attempt to make a gingerbread house sometime during the week. Wish us luck!

Sorry to swim against the tide, so to speak, but I'm not keen on bagpipes. I remember when I lived at home with my mother and her "friend", Prue ( the friend) was Scottish and one New Year's Eve she found some pipers, lord knows where from, who came marching up the drive to pipe in the New Year. All wearing the full regalia of course. Good job we had no neighbours, though I think they scared the cats!

I like Highland bagpipes but there is nothing worse than being too close to them. There is a guy who sometimes busks in Worksop outdoor shopping precinct to raise money for Help for Heroes, and he plays very badly. It is tough on the shop workers who cannot just walk away. Unless it is a gig in a large auditorium and people have chosen to be there, I believe they should be heard and not seen. If you can see them you are standing too close :D

Not being anti Scots here as I love the smallpipes, played with bellows and very expressive, perfect for indoors. Late OH used to play those, and also the French cabrette which is mouth blown with a drone and a chanter.

Sadly the English bagpipes, played for dancing and ceremonial occasions, are extinct and can only be seen in engravings. Henry VIII played them and had pipers at court. People were very superstitious about them so they were traditionally buried with the piper.

Muffin the awol terrier was spotted early this morning on edge of her home village, quite close to her home. Looked fit and in good working order. I suspect she has now learned to hunt, as she has not been seen around the takeaways. First sighting for more than a week.

• Like 2

For three days, our garden was graced by the presence of a very big black bird. Having consulted various descriptions and images to decide which of the corvids it was, we came to the conclusion it's a raven, so we named him Edgar for obvious reasons. No sign of him today, I'm quite disappointed! He must have just been passing through and stopped to hoover up the mealworms which were actually meant for the robin.

Hope Muffin is caught quickly Owl, lots of rain forecast for next couple of days.

Must confess so did I Griff, but I mentioned it to Philip and he put me straight.

Put up our tree and decorations yesterday and boy don't I know it today, it's things like that make me realise how much my health has changed in the last year, I've got aches in places I didn't know I could get aches!