UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

December's Ooh My Back, My Belly And My Two Sides

Yantan

I generally have great respect for vets but there are always a few among the many who don't quite live up the high standards of the rest.

My friend is at her daughters house looking after her grandson and both her grand-dogs. She noticed one of the dogs licking her paw the day before yesterday. Taking a look at it she found a lump so took the dog to the vet who said it looked like a tumour and the faster it came off the better. He could do blood tests but said this would hold things up and she needed immediate surgery. She was booked in for first thing the following morning. My friend was beside herself with worry.

The following morning my friend took another look at the paw just before she took the dog in. The lump had disappeared, leaving just a little pin prick! She went in to show the vet and he was very embarrassed. Apparently he had only started there this week.

Was anyone else thinking foreign body, something like a pine needle or thorn? Yup me too. And that is what it was.

Next time the dog needs a vet my pal is going to go down and collect her to bring her back to see our lovely senior vet, John.

• Like 1

My new oncologist is lovely! A small delicate Indian lady, very friendly, and gave me more information in ten minutes than three meetings with the other bloke! I told her I have a CAT scan booked on the 21st for my chest and she's going to ask them to make it a full body scan instead, so she can see what if anything has changed with the tumours on my verterbrae, and I'll see her again on the 25th January for the scan result. She examined my boobs, couldn't find any lumps or bumps that shouldn't be there, and assured me that on the original scan I had of my spine the "take up points" from the stuff they inject were very small. All in all, I feel very relieved. Oh..and I told her that one of the breast surgeons had said that if my spine was giving me pain that painkillers wouldn't relieve, I could have targeted radiotherapy to get rid of it (just the pain, not the cancer, sadly) and that when I told Dr. Morali he said no. She said she didn't understand why he said that, as the information was quite correct. Glad I've got her now, he was a pleasant enough bloke but about as much help as a chocolate fireguard when it came to telling me anything.

• Like 1

Oh Suzeanna I am so pleased you've found such a good 'un. It does help when you have a doctor who gets you and in whom you can put your trust.

Ruby's surgeon, based in Newcastle, had said that he would hand her off to Carlisle to save her travelling so far. However at her last post op check up he asked her if she could put up with the travelling as he would like to keep her on his list at least for the next year or so to keep his eye on her. She agreed most readily as he's such a nice chap.

Very cold wind a-blowing here today and we've had some hail storms. I was going to take my neighbour for her check up at Carlisle hospital but a mutual friend in the next street was going herself so offered to take our next door neighbour with her. So I am letting her dog out for her and making a fuss of the cat when I go round. Better go and look in on them again actually .....

A while day spent hanging around waiting for a call, though I did get Wispa out for a walk on the village common this afternoon which is very quiet during weekdays if you avoid the usual dog walking times. Eventually the man with 4x4 called me, It had been in the garage but is now mended. At last I am talking to someone who knows what he is doing. I am meeting him early tomorrow. We don't even need to get the trap into the wood. She has been running round the adjacent fields today and even approached someone in a parked car. So we can set the trap and I can watch from my car at the track barrier. Getting relevant info from owners has been like blood from stone.

• Like 1

Yes, her family are desperate to get her back but are not thinking logically. Some people flap about and frantically share everywhere on facebook but don't have the ability to put info together and work out a cunning plan. To catch a dog you have to work out what she is thinking and proceed from there. They were stumped because she is behaving so differently from the dog they know and love, and they can't work out where to go from there.

Every one must be busy today! We've put the tree up and some doodads on the mantelpiece and that's pretty much the extent of our Chrissy decorations.

Archie has been fast asleep on his sofa throughout it all and has never stirred. He'll get a surprise when he wakes up and sees the tree!

Trap watching all day and dog did not show. Huge area, criss crossed by footpaths and bridle paths with a number of deciduous woods. Possible sighting in woods further up. Spoke with senior member of family who is very helpful. This could take a long time.