UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Get It Out There

Jazz

I broke my little toe once, ruddy painful. Strapped it to the next one and let it get on with it.

Oh dear Owl, that's a worry. I think it's wrong that if a burglar breaks into your property and is hurt, either by you or your dog, YOU are the one in trouble. They shouldn't be there in the first place! How on earth did they manage to strip a house? Did the neighbours think they were a removal firm, or was it in the middle of the night?

I hope Ruby manages ok at work, I don't know if it's the heat or my active cancer but I find doing the smallest things is wiping me out. I just washed my hair and I'm trying to dredge up the energy to dry it, I think I'll get it cut short.

I got an email yesterday from the chap who started the Action Group against the opencasting that was proposed for the fields behind us. It's taken six years but at long last they've accepted defeat, the council said no, county council said no, Government Inspectorate said no so they took it to the High Court and they've said no too. Phew, what a relief. Wonder if the farmers who own the land will just leave it as it is now, or if they'll try for change of use for residential? I really hope not.

• Like 1

A sign that says something like "dog(s) running loose" with no mention of the word "warning" or "beware" or similar is OK I think or "never mind the dog beware of owner".

Griff how on earth have you done that to your toe without knowing? Hope it doesn't slow you down!

That's great news about the fields. Plans for social housing might be next and more likely to get approval but I hope it doesn't come to that.

Owl I can't believe the audacity of those thieves!

If it's spreading perhaps you should have it looked at. I don't want to frighten you but I remember with great clarity this happening to a girl I was at school with who complained about having a sore toe. We were all examining this toe and telling her things like "oh it will have to be chopped off" as you do when you are silly 13 year olds. Anyway later that day we were in our science lab all sitting round on our lab stools watching the teacher doing an experiment when one of us noticed something on leg of the girl with the sore toe. The teacher told her to remove her sock and OMG her foot and lower leg up to the knee was all discoloured - I can't think of a way to describe it properly - but our teacher knew what it was straight away and got her to the hospital PDQ. It was blood poisoning! She recovered and was fine but it could have been really nasty. So please get your foot checked!

Suzeanna, I remember the campaign against the opencast. What an outstanding victory :)

Well, I went to the reserve and met up with 2 very nice Environmental Elves. We made our way to the flytipping scene ... and the blighter had only gone and dumped some more on top of the previous lot! The heap is now about 4 or 5 transit loads in size. We all had a fish through and came up with evidence from 4 more addresses! 3 in Newark area like the first one, and another near Nottingham. Obviously a professional flytipper who gets paid to clear rubbish etc from houses and instead of going to the recycling centre then goes and flytips. Going to be in BIG trouble. I will be told the result.

• Like 1

Jazz, you really shouldn't be thinking of scratching and weeing on either..use the loo!

Seriously, wee will soak into fabric and be murder to get out. We've got a big leather sofa and a smaller fabric one, but both have got throws over them.

I have had leather for many years now. I was very uncertain to begin with but wouldn't have anything but leather now.

We have a throw on the couch to protect it from the dogs claws.

My friend had a sheet of polythene and then a throw over the top as one of her dogs was intermittently incontinent.

I have read of people getting good buys in charity shops for a fraction of the cost. One of our local ones sells good looking 3 piece suites for £50

• Like 1