UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Julys Jawing Jollily

Jazz

We went for a walk on the reserve and I caught a brace of naughty smelly wet labs out on an adventure. Knew exactly who they belonged to as I caught them in same place a year ago. I phoned him, he is a local farmer. He was a bit embarrassed when he came to collect them. Good thing I always keep 2 slip leads in the car, as although they were friendly and pleased to have a fuss, they certainly didn't want me to stop their fun.

• Like 1

Well they ran right into the right person Owl.

Well done to Andy Murray last night. That was a bit of a nail biter.

Although I don't care for the football I was routing for Wales for the win last night and was sorry that they didn't get it. Well done to them anyway for getting this far.

I have Archie at the vets this afternoon as he's been biting at himself and scratching so I think it's the dreaded grass mites at work. I put a Frontline on him 3 weeks ago but have been finding fully bloated ticks all over the house - still alive, all bar one. I've heard people say that they no longer find Frontline effective. Has anyone got experience of using alternatives that actually work?

I might try that, griff.

Have found out a bit more about the person who was giving me a hard time. Seems she is usually level headed but is currently a bit agitated about something and I got in the way. So it should blow over.

I didn't find Billy no Mates worked.

Frontline works by the ticks being poisoned after biting so you do fine them after they fall off.

I don't need to treat for fleas but do for ticks as I live where ticks abound. I use scalibor collars on my two. It lasts for six months so they wear them from March/April to September/October depending on when I find the first tick. They cost about £15 each online, so much cheaper than monthly spot-on and no need to remember to apply it.

Since using them I have not found one tick after the first few days until they are fully effective.

There are warnings about their use when swimming, around cats and children sleeping with the dogs so make sure you read the instructions. I just slip mine off when they go swimming.

In UK the Scalibor collar is marketed for ticks only but in USA it is marketed to kill fleas as well- same collar so don't know why.

You can get a Seresto collar on prescription which works for fleas and ticks but it is much more expensive due to the prescription charge.

Haven't got around to watching it yet Griff, we were watching something else last night.

You obviously have a forgiving nature Owl..if someone had a go at me like that no matter what the provocation, I'm afraid I just wouldn't speak to them again. I have discovered due to a very chatty young woman who has learning disabilities and therefore says things that people normally wouldn't, that she thinks I'm very nice and she was surprised because according to other people (I didn't ask who) I'm posh and stuck up. I suppose not having a Derbyshire accent might make me sound posh to some, but I'm certainly not stuck up! Having taken the bus into Chesterfield this morning and being in earshot of two separate groups of women I know by sight and who were talking about other women who are supposed to be their friends and bitching like you wouldn't believe, I've come to the conclusion I'm better off becoming stuck up, I certainly don't need people like them in my life.

Edited by suzeanna

Got my blood test result, ESR is fine, so that's one thing ruled out, thank goodness. I know what it isn't...just wonder what it is.

Rosie has gone off her food, that's unheard of! She usually eats everything in sight, including things she shouldn't. We're having chicken for dinner, hope that'll tempt her.

Glad the result was good, Suzeanna, and hope Rosie gets her appetite back.

A surprising turn of events this evening. A white van turned up in Ollerton down in Sherwood Forest, driving slowly along, acting a bit suspiciously. Then it stopped and a woman got out with 2 small dogs on leads and approached 3 children, handed the leads to them and said "Just hold on to these for a moment" ... and then she jumped into the van and drove off pdq. Dodgy white van people giving dogs away? Can it be that the spirit of Robin Hood lives on?

They have been scanned by a local rescuer, no chips, and are spending the night with rescuer's mum before going to DW in morning.

Moaning :tired:

suzeanna that was my thought as well.

I have Archie at the vets this afternoon as he's been biting at himself and scratching so I think it's the dreaded grass mites at work. I put a Frontline on him 3 weeks ago but have been finding fully bloated ticks all over the house - still alive, all bar one. I've heard people say that they no longer find Frontline effective. Has anyone got experience of using alternatives that actually work?

I read a while ago that Frontline isn't effective any more. Advantage was recommended, which I ended up buying from Australia because it was cheaper.

Thanks Alex :flowers: And black magic :flowers: I've always found that the ticks fall off him half bloated and already dead if I haven't spotted them first and removed them with a hook. The fact that this latest lot have been fully bloated and still alive suggests that the Frontline simply isn't working.

How odd about the van and the dogs. Would love to know if any further info on this comes to light.

Archie didn't have mites but just a few areas of really dry skin. His coat has lost it's previous lustre too. So he has a bottle of shampoo and a bottle of Piriton. I bathed him as soon as we came home with the shampoo and started him on the Piriton. He was more comfortable immediately and has hardly scratched at all since :)