UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

January's Jawtastic Jottings

Yantan

Morning.

All our snow is gone. It seems much warmer too. I'd rather have a nice crisp day with blue skies than this grey damp thing we've got today.

Griff tattie pot is hot pot - it's just what we call it in Cumbria. And then we have tattie ash which is something similar ingredients wise but it's cooked on the stove top for hours. My nanna was the best tattie ash maker EVER! I have tried to make it like her but could never get the depth of flavour she did. When I would have friends round for tea they always requested nanna's tattie ash and she was always happy to oblige. Oh I've just thought - she would now be 111!

That is a good deal Louise

Yantan...ahhhhhh i see, learn something new every day

Mum and dad are on their way home...good job as i can't get the boiler to work properly, the pilot light keeps going out...needs a new thermocouple again i think

Warning: Mini Rant

I am absolutely sick of finding cigarette butts in my garden and on the pavement outside the garden wall. I am pretty sure it's down to my neighbours lodgers who are discarding them just before they go into the house. My neighbour on the other side also finds them in her garden and was asking me if I knew why so I told her what I suspected. We don't know whether to just bring in to the attention of the the other neighbour, who is a prickly cow and I do not get on with her, put notices on our gates to please desist or get the environmental wardens in as it is litter dropping and they could be slapped with a fine (but they'd have to catch them in the act.)

Oh while I am on a roll here's another rant

The number of dog owners in this town that walk their dogs without a lead beside roads simply astonishes me. The owners cannot with certainty know that their dog won't bolt and besides which, if I recall correctly, it is an offence to have your dog off lead within a built up area as they are not considered to be under control.

OK I am done :D

Hope everyone and their fur families are well today.

cctv Yantan...it's fab!!! i have cctv out the front and due to the fact i live in a 3 storey house running a cable over the roof is impossible without a hoooooge ladder, so i have just bought a second cctv recorder, i already have the camera and this week i shall be buying a hard disk for it and a cable....then i will be sending my dad into the loft to drop the cable out and run it somehow into the back bedroom...no idea how yet but there we go, will hopefully put an end to my neighbours antics

Warning: Mini Rant

The number of dog owners in this town that walk their dogs without a lead beside roads simply astonishes me. The owners cannot with certainty know that their dog won't bolt and besides which, if I recall correctly, it is an offence to have your dog off lead within a built up area as they are not considered to be under control.

OK I am done :D

Hope everyone and their fur families are well today.

It is illegal, the latest version of the animal welfare act makes it an offence, I point it out to various owners I see doing the same, they are none to happy about it either, and I reserve my best "well if you dont f###ing do something about it I will report you" for the ones that turn nasty.

I make a point of telling out lovely PCSO's the info to, none of which are aware it is an offence.

We had snow here saturday too, was gone by sunday lunch time though, Cliffy not overly pleased as he has very low tackle that ploughs through the snow, but he is a good boy and does go though.

• Like 1

Traffic was horrendous this morning due to temporary traffic lights near work. The traffic was tailing back miles and miles down the motorway, so it took me 2 hours to do an 11 mile journey to work which normally takes 20 minutes. I was not happy by the time I got to work. I forgot my glasses as well so couldn't see my screen properly all day. I also forgot my eye drops so I couldn't use them to soothe my eyes :rolleyes: Thankfully it was okay coming home but I've ordered chinese just because.

You must be very relieved, Jazz.

Wishing you a better day tomorrow, Merledogs.

Nice boots Louisebt, but not my size.

We have been out on the reserve today. Some local residents have completely misunderstood the meaning of wildlife. They have been leading one there, and then some. Good thing I always have plenty of plastic bags and disposable gloves. Cans, bottles, underwear and ahem other things.

Ewwwww not nice Owl, good of you to clean up after others.

Jazz, huge relief I am sure

Merledogs....oh dear, not a good day, hope the Chinese helped you feel better

Should have been at training, massive row with my dad and now I am back on the bus going...a 1hour class is now 3 1/2 hours at least

Good news Jazz :flowers:

Traffic is a pain in the ass - I was a few minutes late for work today. Whoever decided on the design of Simister Island on the M60 should be forced to drive it every day at rush hour :rolleyes:

Try and get some little capsule eye drops Alex and keep them in your desk - then if you forget your usual ones, you still have some to use. You can also download a blink reminder onto your desktop (studies have shown you only blink 9 times a minute whilst on the computer, compared to 15 times a minute normally). If you google blink reminder, it will come up with a website called the dry eye zone (or something like that) and you can get the blink reminder there.

Done my climbing class tonight - it was another new instructor. We got to use the clip and climb. I got to the top of the 2 hardest walls :biggrin:

Moaning :tired:

Thanks for the advice Jayne :flowers: Can I ask you a couple of questions please? I want to now if I can have contact lenses with dry eyes? Also, does the laser eye surgery work on long sightedness cos I've been thinking about having that done? :flowers:

Good news jazz :flowers:

griff I hope you got there and back okay :flowers:

I'm working from home today (or to use the new term 'providing remote support'). Timmy is at the vet tonight to have his bloods redone - am keeping everything crossed that it was just an infection and his blood is back to normal because the alternative isn't something I want to consider.

Course you can Alex

Contact lenses and dry eyes - can be done, but your eyes may be worsened by the contact lenses. At the very minimum, you must be fitted with a silicone hydrogel lens.

Do you need glasses for TV and driving or just for reading? What laser surgery does is to give you good vision for your age, so everyone 45+ needs to wear reading glasses, so unfortunately you would still need glasses for reading, even if you had the distance corrected. They can do something called monovision (which they would probably do in contact lenses too if they were to fit you with them), so you have your dominant eye corrected for distance and your non dominant eye corrected for reading, however it is a compromise in vision and lots of patients struggle on the computer with monovision (as computer working distance is further than reading). You may also find that if your eyes are really dry, they won't do laser anyway, as laser makes dry eyes worse. I had laser done in 2008, I was 10 months before I was back in glasses. My eyes are mega dry so I can't wear lenses all day (and there is only one type of lens that I can wear now) :flowers: