UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

April All Talking

Jazz

Snow, i believe in letting kids be kids... a bit of dirt never killed anyone and a couple of grazes etc are just part of growing up.... how do kids learn about boundaries and risks if they aren't allowed to play properly and to a degree think for themselves?

Merledogs, hope you enjoy your time off work

Gooster, hope your day goes well and you have copious amounts of tea provided

i was awoken by my neighbour cutting his grass at 7.30am! the best bit is his lawn didn't even want cutting

• Like 1

With Owen due to arrive within the next week or so its started to hit home that theres going to be another massive change in our lives from now on, here was me bimbling along thinking ahhhhh grandkids all the fun of babies with next to none of the stress - ummm nope! I've been doing a little bit of reading on mumsnet and various grandparent forums - and its shocked me! When did the world get so damned risk averse that pretty much everything I did as a parent is now considered to be a health risk or inappropriate? FFS how the hell did Nick survive to be come a parent himself if those things were so bad for him? I am dumbfounded at the stuff that parents these days are being told to avoid doing and I havent yet dared look at anything to do with pets and babies on the parenting boards because I know my blood pressure wont take it. Its a bloody minefield .... and I'm staying well well well away from mumsnet in future its too upsetting.

My sister eventually told her son that she had managed to bring up him and his brother.

My DIL very gentoy told me that you don't use the word 'no'. Now they have a terrible two year old who regularly

gets told .no'.

https://healthunlocked.com/blf/posts/1152799/where-you-born-in-the-1930s-1940s-50s-60s-70s-early-80s-put-kettle-on-make-a-cuppa-sit-down-read-and-relax.

CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL BORN IN THE 1930's,40's,50's,60's,70's& early 80's!!!.

First you survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

The took aspirin,ate blue cheese dressing,tuna from a tin,and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, your baby cots were covered with bright coloured lead-based paints.

You had no child proof lids on medicine bottles,doors or cabinets and when you rode your bikes,you had no helmets,not to mention,the risks of hitchhiking...As children you would ride in cars with no seat belts or airbags.Riding in the back of a van-loose-was always great fun.

You drank water from the garden hosepipe and NOT from a bottle.

You shared one soft drink with four friends,from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.You ate cakes,white bread and real butter and drank pop with sugar in it but you weren't overweight because ...........YOU WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING.You would leave home in the morning and play all day,as long as you were back in when the street lights came on,No one was able to reach you all day.And you were OK.

You would spend hours building your go-carts out of scrapsand then ride down the hill only to find out you forgot the brakes.After running into bushes a few times.

,you learned to solve the problem.

You did not have Playstation,Nintendo's,X-boxes,no video games at all,no 99 channels on cable,no video tape movies,no surround sound,no mobile phones,no text messaging,no personal computers,no Internet or Internet chat rooms..............YOU HAD FRIENDS and you went outside and found them! You fell out of trees,got cut,broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents. You played with worms(well most boys did) and mud pies made from dirt,and the worms did not live in us forever.You made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although you were told it would happen,you did not poke any eyes out.You rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell,or just yelled for them! Local teams had tryouts and not everyone made the team.Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.Imagine that!The idea of a parent bailing you out if you broke the law was unheard of.They actually sided with the law!.

This generation has produced some of the best risk takers and problem solvers and inventors yet.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovations and new ideas

You had freedom,failure,success and responsibility, and you learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!.And YOU are one of them!

CONGRATULATIONS!

What do you think of this message?

Any truth in it?

You might want to share your views about this.

You had the luck to grow up as kids before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

And while you are at it,tell it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

• Like 1

I have a nephew like that Blackmagic. Aunty Mary says No and he gets upset, so he gets *the look*. He isn't particularly pleasant to be around but his parents just say it's his age...he is 3 and will dominate any conversation with his shouting and interrupting.

I tell My other nephew no and he looks like he will cry, my no goes with a stern face. But he stops and then says sorry! He is a delight to be around.

However, as I don't have children i don't understand so I just leave it be.

My sister and I were teethed on biltong, that's what happened in the 70's in Zimbabwe. It's not goo enough for my mom's grand kids now though, too much salt. The list goes on, so I am just pleased I survived with all my parents put me through 😉

• Like 1

Murtle, your situation sounds like my mum with us and her brother and his kids, my uncle and aunt never chastised their children, in fact they were spoilt brats, my only memories of my cousin was her being a selfish spiteful moody cow and that is quite sad really as i hardly ever saw them (maybe twice a year) my uncle said to my mum that he could see when the two lots of children were together that he had done the wrong thing, you could take us anywhere and we would be polite and sit quietly his kids well they were the complete opposite.one of the best memories of my nan was when she gave us chocolate, my brother and me offered our chocolate round and she declined, my cousin didn't and she asked him for it, he handed it over and she took 3/4 of the chocolate and gave him the remainder..... he had a strop and said it was his and demanded it back as she hadn't taken our chocolate, she refused, sat and ate it and said "let that be a lesson in manners... if you are polite and offer you get to enjoy the whole bar of chocolate, selfish and rude and you lose out", i did feel a bit sorry for him as it was his parents fault he didn't have manners but he was 15 so could have thought for himself

Blackmagic, to a certain degree that sounds like my childhood, i was born in 79 and we could go off and play but we had to be back every hour to "check in" with my mum, the go cart thing did make me laugh.... we tied a bread crate to a skateboard and went down the steepest hill through a subway...with no brakes Lol not to mention our tree swings, swinging out over the brook and having to drop 20 feet otherwise you would hit the tree trunk which my mate did and broke his wrist..... that involved telling a fib as he was banned from playing on it, oh and the tree swing that you had to climb on a 6 foot wall to jump off oooo and abseiling off a footbridge with nothing but a rope, normal belt and a hook that holds a shower curtain onto the rail Lol

Today is my day off so off course I am actually sitting here rewriting the dog sponsorship element of the website

I looked at a number of very large charities for guidance and our wording now says

Help Dogstar give a dog a better life when you sponsor a dog for just 68p a week ( £35 a year ). You will recieve regular email updates and photos and as a thank you we will send you a Sri Lankan friendship bracelet. If you sponsor a dog as gift you can additionally request a gift card at checkout, This beautiful card comes in a eco envelope handmade with recycled paper and elephant dung in our village.

Your sponsorship contributions are used to fund ongoing care , vaccinations , provide additional food and supplements for sponsor dogs and all the dogs in our care

Read the profiles below and choose a dog or cat to sponsor today :

what do you guys think ?

Murtle, your situation sounds like my mum with us and her brother and his kids, my uncle and aunt never chastised their children, in fact they were spoilt brats, my only memories of my cousin was her being a selfish spiteful moody cow and that is quite sad really as i hardly ever saw them (maybe twice a year) my uncle said to my mum that he could see when the two lots of children were together that he had done the wrong thing, you could take us anywhere and we would be polite and sit quietly his kids well they were the complete opposite.one of the best memories of my nan was when she gave us chocolate, my brother and me offered our chocolate round and she declined, my cousin didn't and she asked him for it, he handed it over and she took 3/4 of the chocolate and gave him the remainder..... he had a strop and said it was his and demanded it back as she hadn't taken our chocolate, she refused, sat and ate it and said "let that be a lesson in manners... if you are polite and offer you get to enjoy the whole bar of chocolate, selfish and rude and you lose out", i did feel a bit sorry for him as it was his parents fault he didn't have manners but he was 15 so could have thought for himself

Blackmagic, to a certain degree that sounds like my childhood, i was born in 79 and we could go off and play but we had to be back every hour to "check in" with my mum, the go cart thing did make me laugh.... we tied a bread crate to a skateboard and went down the steepest hill through a subway...with no brakes Lol not to mention our tree swings, swinging out over the brook and having to drop 20 feet otherwise you would hit the tree trunk which my mate did and broke his wrist..... that involved telling a fib as he was banned from playing on it, oh and the tree swing that you had to climb on a 6 foot wall to jump off oooo and abseiling off a footbridge with nothing but a rope, normal belt and a hook that holds a shower curtain onto the rail Lol

All three of my boy cousins had a broken arm at one time.

One day my grandmother wondered what we were up to as we came running the door, through the living room into the

hall and up the stairs only to reappear through the door etc etc.

Eventually, she came upstairs to find we had pulled the mattress off the bed and thrown it out of the window onto the gravel

below. We were jumping out of the window on to the mattress below. She wasn't too impressed.

We also climbed the big trees in the garden but had to hide in the branches when my grandad came looking for us as we would be in trouble.

We played hise and seek in the dark- better for hiding. All the neighbourhood kids collected at the 'den' which was the lampost oppsite our house. We played in a derelict builders yard wirh two derelict buildingd and loads of

rubble etc. Nobody got hurt. We all looked out for each other.

When mmy grandson gets told not to touch something he runs and buries his head in his dad's or his grandad's knee.

If they are not around he crouches down on his knees and hides his face.

After a couple of minutes he gets up again as if nothing has happened.

He is by no means spoiled.

My son is a very determined person. At three days old he had the special care nurses panicking as he held his

breath for so long when he was annoyed by the bandages they had put over his eyes to protect them from the unltraviolet light in the incubator. He managed to remove their first two attempts depsite having mitts on.

The nurse asked me who was the stubborn one, me or my husband. I replied 'both of us'. 'Well' you'll understand

him' she replied.

Today is my day off so off course I am actually sitting here rewriting the dog sponsorship element of the website

I looked at a number of very large charities for guidance and our wording now says

what do you guys think ?

That sounds good.

My daughter in law had her twins by C section at around mid day today, a little boy weighing 4lb 14 called Jamie, and a little girl, Abigail (Abby) who is only 4lb and was whisked away to the special baby unit. He's sent me photos...to be honest, there is more hat than baby! I just hope little Abby will be ok, Julie was desperate for a girl.

• Like 2

My daughter in law had her twins by C section at around mid day today, a little boy weighing 4lb 14 called Jamie, and a little girl, Abigail (Abby) who is only 4lb and was whisked away to the special baby unit. He's sent me photos...to be honest, there is more hat than baby! I just hope little Abby will be ok, Julie was desperate for a girl.

Congratulations to everybody and welcome to Jamie and Abigail.

Hopefully they are just being cautious as she is so small.

My son was in SCU for three days due the drugs I had been given for HBP passing through to the baby.

Regarding children and risks...my son is a qualified diver, he used to be a motor bike racer, he hang glides, he wind surfs and kite surfs...no way will his children be brought up wrapped in cotton wool. My grandson was a brat when he was about three,but now he's five he's much better. He doesn't butt in when you are talking, he says excuse me please, can I say something? He does throw tantrums, but apologises afterwards. His best mate though...arghhhhh, what a nightmare! Hopefully Snow, your grandchild will have parents with more sense than to believe everything they read, but remember instead their own childhoods. Apparently one reason there is more asthma etc in children now is that houses and children are kept far too clean, no chance to build up any immunity.

Oh huge congrats to you all how wonderful they are finally here, hopefully Abigail wont be in scbu for long ((hugs))

Regarding children and risks...my son is a qualified diver, he used to be a motor bike racer, he hang glides, he wind surfs and kite surfs...no way will his children be brought up wrapped in cotton wool. My grandson was a brat when he was about three,but now he's five he's much better. He doesn't butt in when you are talking, he says excuse me please, can I say something? He does throw tantrums, but apologises afterwards. His best mate though...arghhhhh, what a nightmare! Hopefully Snow, your grandchild will have parents with more sense than to believe everything they read, but remember instead their own childhoods. Apparently one reason there is more asthma etc in children now is that houses and children are kept far too clean, no chance to build up any immunity.

That was one of the things I was ranting about this morning - now apparently you must not use talc either on the baby or in a room where the baby will be - in case they inhale it and get asthma! FFS there was one mum on the forum ranting because her mil refuses to stop wearing talc so now she wont let her hold the baby! Everything has fads - baby rearing is no different, when Nick was little it was swaddle then it was don't swaddle it causes SIDS then it was back to swaddling and currently its dont swaddle and dont use too many blankets. Apparently the baby should also sleep in the parents bedroom until it is at least 6 months old - blimey Nick was in his own bedroom pretty much from day 1. As for the "advice" on having the baby in bed with you gawd thats a ruddy minefield ... honestly it seems to me that one way or another someone somewhere is going to find a reason to label you a "bad parent" (or grandparent) no matter what the hell you do! Oh and please dont get me started on the "third hand smoke" stuff .....

Sam : looks good, slight typo - should be 'receive' rather than 'recieve' (sorry to be picky but I know you're dyslexic). I was always taught I before E except after C :flowers:

My sister and I were teethed on biltong, that's what happened in the 70's in Zimbabwe. It's not goo enough for my mom's grand kids now though, too much salt. The list goes on, so I am just pleased I survived with all my parents put me through

I was happily munching on biltong in South Africa in the 60s/70s (nom nom) - my dad used to live in Rhodesia (as was) so went there a fair few times. I remember the Jacaranda trees in bloom, stunning :wub:

Weather has been glorious here today. I've mown the lawn and watered all my containers.

• Like 1

Sam : looks good, slight typo - should be 'receive' rather than 'recieve' (sorry to be picky but I know you're dyslexic). I was always taught I before E except after C :flowers:

I was happily munching on biltong in South Africa in the 60s/70s (nom nom) - my dad used to live in Rhodesia (as was) so went there a fair few times. I remember the Jacaranda trees in bloom, stunning :wub:

Weather has been glorious here today. I've mown the lawn and watered all my containers.

I like your idea of WFHing.