UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

April All Talking

Jazz

I have been and delivered five large shrubs (which I was digging out at 06:30 this morning) to my boss, who's going to make a nice new hedge with them. Took Beau with me for a little ride. He got out of the car, pee'd on the the boss's existing bit of hedge then poo'd on the pavement outside his house :laugh: Boss loved him though (well before the poo incident anyway). Lots of plants given away recently so have more space. I must stop myself from re-filling it with new ones though :rolleyes:

Back from fracture clinic, doctor is astonished at progress and says judging from the Xrays he would have thought it would have taken 2 weeks not 3 days to get where I am now.

Arnica 30 in pocket at all times is a very good idea.

• Like 1

Lol@ Beau leaving an impression

Owl, that is good news

poopie walked and she was off lead again for a wee while... still don't trust the little devil fully but she comes to the whistle and her name which is good, need to check and see if my trousers fit me as i have my friends funeral tomorrow, if they don't fit i will have to go in black jeans...whoops

I'm getting all technified and have ordered a NOWTV box so when I buy a Sky Sports Day Pass, I can watch it on t'telly rather than on the laptop. The run in to the end of the Premiership season is going to be a tad fraught so I will mostly be watching through my fingers.

You can also watch 'catch up' tv on it, eg BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, etc.

Edited by merledogs

I wish you lived near me Alex, I could do with some large shrubs to cover up the fence my neighbour has put up...he's made it slats, so the wind won't blow it down, and it's not that high..probably around 4 ft at the most...so I get a lovely view of him in the garden. Think slightly larger garden gnome...with no teeth.....

Glad your arnica worked Owl..when our dobe broke both her back legs we gave her comfrey tablets, and the vets were amazed that she healed without even a limp as they'd had to take some splintered bone out.

Murtle, I remember going to Alton Towers with my son and daughter when they were both mid twenties, and my son being horrified that we asked for a half for his sister...she's only 5 ft, long blonde hair in a ponytail with a baseball cap on, she easily looked young enough!

Evergreen? So I don't have to suffer him during the winter? I was thinking of maybe choisya..but I don't know if they are fast growers...don't want anything that can be harmful to dogs as Rosie tends to eat things, which is why I ripped all the laurels out from the front. There are several rhodies already in the garden and I love them, but again, slow growing.

I have flowering currant bushes in need of a home, but someone would have to dig them out. Also a variegated privet. But why not have buddleia as they grow like mad? I love the white ones. And the butterflies they attract will be prettier than your neighbour.

Morning :tired:

suzeanna - what aspect is that border, ie is it sunny? You could go for something like Elaeagnus x ebbingei which grows v quickly, or Arbutus Unedo (which needs a lot of sun) or Photinia Red Robin (or a mixture which makes it look more interesting). I think they are dog safe but please do some Googling before planting. Not sure how tall Rosie is but you could put them in containers, which will give height more quickly and if she's small she wouldn't be able to reach. I use these in a 90L size to give the roots plenty of room to grow. Alternatively, buy half standard plants or else strip the leaves from the bottom section of the plants (if you are putting them in containers you could then use bedding plants around the bottom to give summer colour). As owl says, Buddleia are pretty and fast growing but they will lose their leaves in winter. That may not matter if you go for a mixed hedge as they'd still offer some privacy.

There are some good online sellers of shrubs such as Hedges Direct Ltd. Some websites sell shrubs which are 1.5 to 2m tall already (make sure you shop around), so will have instant impact. I've used mailordertrees in the past who sometimes have 'seconds' on sale quite cheaply. Bought a couple of fruit trees from them which are taller then I am - they aren't very bushy at the moment but will soon fill out. They will lose their leaves though but if you put them in the middle of the hedge they will look lovely (and grow nice and tall). You would need to be careful of any fruit dropping in case it ferments.

Edited by merledogs

There are some good online sellers of shrubs such as Hedges Direct Ltd. Some websites sell shrubs which are 1.5 to 2m tall already (make sure you shop around), so will have instant impact. I've used mailordertrees in the past who sometimes have 'seconds' on sale quite cheaply. Bought a couple of fruit trees from them which are taller then I am - they aren't very bushy at the moment but will soon fill out. They will lose their leaves though but if you put them in the middle of the hedge they will look lovely (and grow nice and tall). You would need to be careful of any fruit dropping in case it ferments.

Berberis grow quickly. You could also use climbers. Mahonia also grows well in a sheltered spot.

One thing to bear in mind is if buying from an area where the weather in generally milder the plants can get a shock coming to a colder climate which can stunt ther growth or kill them.

I always try to buy fairly locally as then I know the plants will grow in my climate.

been to my friends funeral, it was beautiful and such a lovely sunny day. i was gobsmacked to see her neighbours had turned up, they had been real sh*ts to her and her husband and had labelled her as racist! yet there they were bold as brass and he even had the brassneck to go and shake my friends husbands hand.. my friends husband was an absolute gent who thanked him for coming and came over to me quickly, he was disappointed i couldn't go to the wake but understood i had the puppy to return to. i even managed to look smart all be it very punk Lol

Hi Sam :-) I ordered a couple of things from your amazon wish list, I think I did it right. Though I have now lost the wish list again!

You are most kind , I would have hoped Amazon would tell me automatically if someone had ordered off the wish list but it appears they do not !

Wishlist is here http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/3G43LY3T9QB9G

Hi Helly , would do a waving smiley thingy but I have no idea how to any more ! are you able to visit Egypt at all currently ?

I am just back from a 4 day sterilisation program on the beach , have had worse views from work in my past I can tell you

Thanks for the info Alex..our garden faces east...our street is North Street and does exactly that, runs north to south. We get the sun on the back for most of the morning then it comes round to the front, that border is the south border, so the fence has the sun behind/over it, if that makes sense. During the summer all the back garden gets a lot of sun as it's higher in the sky, but in the winter not much at all. I looked at Hedges Direct, may enquire whether their stuff is guaranteed...we are probably a bit less wet that you in Manchester, but as we are very close to the Peaks we often get the cold weather they forecast for them, so I wouldn't want to buy things just to have them clobbered by a frost. I'm not the worlds best gardener anyway, my mother could get anything to grow, but she didn't pass on the talent to me.

You managed to not say anything to the nasty neighbour then Griff? I wouldn't have been able to keep my mouth shut...maybe they felt guilty after been horrible about her?

• Like 1