UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Ongoing Oration

merledogs

I had a nice phone call from my oldest friend today as well. We first met 49 years ago, have been in touch on and off with long breaks ever since, sometimes completely losing track of each other as she went abroad for ages, but we have been in fairly frequent contact over the last 2 years. She has moved to Hull now, so not too far away.

• Like 1

I'm glad your friend has moved reasonably close to you Owl. It's nice to have someone you go way back with. My friend and I always have a good laugh at the silly things we did in the past and enjoy the memories of good times whenever we get together.

Archie arrived home at 5.15 yesterday and he was pooped. He's back to mile a minute this morning though.

I have dentist appointment next Tuesday to replace a filling that partly came away a few weeks ago. Last night whilst I was munching some seeds and nuts I lost a big chunk of filling from another tooth! I have no car at the moment - still waiting for the woman to go and collect her new car from the Fiat garage and leave her old one for me - I've had to ring them this morning to find out the state of play as I absolutely must make it to this dental appointment. My NHS dentist is a 30 mile round trip so I can't get there without a motor. Anyway the latest is she is supposed to be picking up her new car on Friday and they will have her old one ready for me by late Monday afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Alex how are those meetings going?

I'm afraid I've burned my boats with my oldest friend. We were best friends from about the third form at school, still saw each other when our children were small etc, but after I moved up here it was just christmas cards. Out of the blue I heard from her saying they would be up in Nottingham visiting someone and could we meet up? She was chattering on about how much weight she'd put on, her eyebags and crows feet etc and although I said yes at the time, I wrote and changed my mind. It might be silly of me but I want to remember her as a slim lively girl in her twenties/early thirties, not a nearly seventy year old. I'm sorry in a way as she has obviously taken me off her christmas card list now.. :unsure:

One good thing about today, I took Rosie for her walk earlier and the scaffolders had just arrived to take down the scaffolding next door, and Mr. Hunky gave me a big smile and had a chat and made a fuss of Rosie, which made her day. Obviously that ice lolly I gave him and his mates made a good impression!

you wonderful people will know

if you have oil heating, do you still have a boiler indoors?

fank youuuuuu

my son is staying in his bosses big house, and the heating and hot water has stopped working

there will be a boiler somewhere but has he checked that there is oil in the oil tank. It may have run out.

Suzeanna a few years ago I stumbled across an old school friend via an online genealogy mailing group and we renewed our friendship after a 30 year plus gap. At first it was OK. We would email back and forth but then she started to put in the odd joke which would be border line racist and there were times when I just wasn't comfortable with the stuff she was coming out with.

Finally she asked to meet up as she had arranged a Christmas break up here and was going to bring her parents (both of whom were in their eighties) along with her and her partner to re-vist their old home town. I really agreed to it because I had fond memories of her mum and dad and they had been good pals with my grandparents, who brought me up, so I wanted to see them again. They were lovely, just as I remembered them but I did not recognise my friend in either how she looked physically or in the way she acted. I found myself looking at a hard faced middle aged woman who had overdone the make-up and was frankly mutton dressed as lamb and listening to a self opinionated, loud, self-important harridan. It really spoilt all my memories of the nice friendship I had had with a sweet, kind young girl. Never again!

Thanks for that Yantan, you've made me feel a lot better about it. My friend..well, exfriend now it seems..was saying that people say she's very bossy, and did I think she was? I said no, but thinking back we did tend to do what she wanted more than a decision between both of us so I suppose she was and no doubt it hasn't improved with time. My memories of her may well have been spoiled if we had met up. I imagine it's like meeting your first boyfriend again and finding the slim handsome lad has morphed into an overweight bald bloke who talks about football all the time!

There should be a boiler Jazz..can he not contact his boss to ask?

Moaning :tired:

We've got our annual away day today with all the other teams. I don't mind the bits where they tell you what a good year we've had and what we need to do next year, it's all the game playing which gets on my wick. Plus they have a seating plan so you can't even sit with your mates.

Moaning :tired:

We've got our annual away day today with all the other teams. I don't mind the bits where they tell you what a good year we've had and what we need to do next year, it's all the game playing which gets on my wick. Plus they have a seating plan so you can't even sit with your mates.

Oh I hate that sort of stuff too Alex. I've always ended up sitting there thinking "just cut this crap and let me get on with my job FFS".

I've worked myself out of work again! I am waiting now for the van to deliver me another load.