UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

June's Jolly Jawings

merledogs

Normally Fridays are great but when it is the last full day of your holiday, then it's not so good!
Sympathies to fellow hayfever sufferers - I had bad symptoms yesterday even when on the beach which has never happened before! When mine gets bad the only pills that help are the sort that make you drowsy so that's a right pain!

It's good to hear Logan is feeling better :)

Archie's leg is still bothering him and he's doing his dying swan act. He really doesn't like being less than 100% and gets so miserable with it. I am going to see if I can get a vets appointment for later today. As luck would have it I have a Tesco delivery booked for this morning 9 - 11am. This will be the time they come later when I could do with them coming early.

I used to get really dreadful hay fever but haven't had it since my mid-20's. I wonder why? Not that I am complaining!

Edited to say: Archie has a vet appointment at 2.00pm

Edited by Yantan

Well! Archie came down from his sick bed upstairs to see the Tesco delivery man. It was one of the drivers who likes to say hello to Archie and make a fuss of him. Archie decided, seeing that the back door and gate were open, that he would have a little perambulation in the back lane. He trotted smartly up and down with no sign of a limp and the tail was up and wagging.

After Tesco's had gone I checked the leg. He didn't want me touching it yesterday but was quite happy for me to do so today. I bent his knee back and forth a few times - all fine. Checked his pad again and twixt his tootsies - again all was fine. I also pressed around his shoulder and there were no complaints from The Archibald.

I looked at him and said "have you been milking it for simpaffy and extra treats young man" and I think he has! He has done so in the past.

I've cancelled the vet appointment and told them if he goes lame again over the weekend after his walks I will definitely take him in next week. Ruby is going to keep the walks fairly short and not take him on anything arduous.

So fingers crossed that it doesn't recur.

• Like 1

Oh Gooster that is terrific news!!!!!!!!!! really chuffed for you!

Snow, glad you have gardeners, i hate playing hunt the poop too, especially in the rain Lol

Glad Archie seems better

Merledogs, hope you feel better for the weekend

i spent all night tossing and turning so i am not a happy camper today

• Like 1

I'm planning to make Mary Berry's fish pie for tea tonight but have found two recipes online purporting to be Mary's and they differ from one another :worried_anim:

I got the ingredients according to the BBC MB's recipe, which says it was taken from the programme showing her life story. It was on that I saw her make it and said then I would have a bash at it.

Now today I have found one on Mary's own site. I don't know if I should trust the BBC one now or just follow the one on Mary Berry's own site :worried_anim: Has anyone made either of these and can recommend one?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/mary_berrys_fish_pie_79943

Oh the link from Mary's own site shows the same BBC recipe

however the recipe on the page I have displayed IS different:

Jeepers, I WILL get it right in a minute! LOL

• 350g (12oz) un-dyed skinned smoked haddock fillet
  • 350g (12oz) skinned haddock fillet
  • 2 leeks, sliced
  • 50g (2oz) butter
  • 50g (2oz) flour
  • 600ml (1 pint) hot milk
  • salt and pepper
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped

TOPPING

• 1kg (2 1/4lb) potatoes, peeled, cut into even sized pieces
  • about 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
  • 2 heaped tablespoons grainy mustard
  • 75g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated
Edited by Yantan

I'm planning to make Mary Berry's fish pie for tea tonight but have found two recipes online purporting to be Mary's and they differ from one another :worried_anim:

I got the ingredients according to the BBC MB's recipe, which says it was taken from the programme showing her life story. It was on that I saw her make it and said then I would have a bash at it.

Now today I have found one on Mary's own site. I don't know if I should trust the BBC one now or just follow the one on Mary Berry's own site :worried_anim: Has anyone made either of these and can recommend one?

Oh the link from Mary's own site shows the same BBC recipe

however the recipe on the page I have displayed IS different:

Jeepers, I WILL get it right in a minute! LOL

• 350g (12oz) un-dyed skinned smoked haddock fillet
  • 350g (12oz) skinned haddock fillet
  • 2 leeks, sliced
  • 50g (2oz) butter
  • 50g (2oz) flour
  • 600ml (1 pint) hot milk
  • salt and pepper
  • juice of ½ a lemon
  • 2 tablespoons fresh chopped dill
  • 3 hard boiled eggs, roughly chopped

TOPPING

• 1kg (2 1/4lb) potatoes, peeled, cut into even sized pieces
  • about 150ml (1/4 pint) milk
  • 2 heaped tablespoons grainy mustard
  • 75g (3oz) mature cheddar cheese, grated

I thin the one on the BBC site is the traditional family one.

The one on her website is another recipe.