UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jolly Jests

merledogs

Just got into work to find a message from our head of department telling us all we all have to be in Frimley Green (near Guildford) tomorrow for an important meeting. I notice from the meeting invitation that someone from HR will be attending. Other central services teams have all been restructured recently, which has resulted in redundancies. So I have to drive for four hours (part of which will be on the M25 so will hit the Olympic traffic) to presumably told that we're at risk of redundancy, then drive four hours (if I'm lucky) back home. :( I'm not impressed.

Morning.

Two lots of neighbours are having work done to their houses and one lot of builders started hammering and knocking and shouting to each other at 7.30 this morning. Thankfully I was already up and around but wouldn't have pleased had I still been asleep. On the other hand I am rather impressed that there are still workmen who can actually get to a job at that early hour.

Snow I am sorry that you lost Ferro.

The meeting has now been moved to Portsmouth. However, it's £300 per ticket and I know my manager won't want to pay that so it may change again. I've told him I'm not staying over the night before (even if I were willing to leave the dogs, I wouldn't be able to get them in anywhere now cos it's holiday time), hence why the meeting's moved to Portsmouth. He might change his mind again so watch this space.

The woman from HR who is attending is the one who has been handling the recent redundancies in central services, so it's pretty obvious what it's about.

{sarcasm} whitwoo it only took me 3 hours to connect to the internet this morning *eye roll* my new hub which apparently will "fix" all my problems is supposed to be delivered today .... I am "working from home" (taken the day off) to be here to sign for it so it better show up and it better work otherwise theres going to be trouble ....

Alex your company sounds hopeless, fingers crossed your job isn't under threat.

Its weird with the empty cage in here and no noisy pigies shouting at me for attention, but I'm happy that Ferro went peacefully and in her own time, I must admit I had a feeling she wouldn't be making the move with us, its always hard to say goodbye but it is easier when you know they have had a long and happy life.

Sleeptight Ferro.

I love the description of Marion having too much AWESOME. Fabulous :-)

That's pants Alex, HR lady should be doing the 4 hour travelling, but companies don't seem to choose to do things sensibly.

I am loving the sunshine.

I hope poorly people are feeling good today, and Griff I hope your chest infection buggers off and you can get your treatment soon.

Today is the day for accounts. It will be fun!

xxx

Oh Alex, sorry to hear that you could be in line for redundancy....... totally agree, why the hell should you have to drag your ass half way across the country, i would phone in sick Lol.

Snow, if our recent experience with BT is anything to go by i wouldn't hold your breath for your problem being solved, hope the hub turns up early!

going to see my nan today, pointless putting it off. she has been moved to a side room and now visitors can go all day, i just hope we can get her moved to the hospice in time........ bit worried in case i run into my dads relatives as i don't have anything to do with them and i would need to bite my tongue very hard LoL

Hub has arrived and after a whole lot of physical effort on my part and lots of really rude swear words its now installed - however griff I fear you might be right it was just as reluctant to connect as the old one and I'm unimpressed with the speed - to me the line is "pulsing" things download in fits and starts and its STILL doing that ... I guess I'll see as the day goes on, if the hubs still connected when I get up tomorrow morning then maybe we're getting somewhere, but if not me and bt are going to have a serious chat about compensation ...

Alex I'm sorry to hear they are being arses again at work. I fear it's all too common in many businesses in the UK.

Snow hopefully once you get moved to the bungalow you will experience faster than light download speeds.

I've just had a delivery from The Book People addressed to me with a complete set of George Gently books but I haven't ordered them! I've checked my bank account and the £13.94 they cost with the P&P hasn't been taken from my a/c. I don't even like George Gently and won't read them. I can't think that any of my friends or family would have bought them for me and had them sent direct - they all know my reading tastes. Should I get in touch with The Book People? I will struggle to send the back as I can't get down to the P.O. Or should I just say nowt and donate them to a charity shop?

Alex I'm sorry to hear they are being arses again at work. I fear it's all too common in many businesses in the UK.

Snow hopefully once you get moved to the bungalow you will experience faster than light download speeds.

I've just had a delivery from The Book People addressed to me with a complete set of George Gently books but I haven't ordered them! I've checked my bank account and the £13.94 they cost with the P&P hasn't been taken from my a/c. I don't even like George Gently and won't read them. I can't think that any of my friends or family would have bought them for me and had them sent direct - they all know my reading tastes. Should I get in touch with The Book People? I will struggle to send the back as I can't get down to the P.O. Or should I just say nowt and donate them to a charity shop?

Could they have been delivered to the wrong address? Has somebody paid for them and is waiting with bated breath for delivery?

Since you didn't order them, if they wanted them sent back they should arrange for a courier to uplift them at their expense , but I expect that would cost more than the value of the books.

Under the Unsolicited Goods and Services Act 1971you can keep the goods.

• Like 1

ooooooooo don't know what to suggest Yantan, i would perhaps call them and just explain that you are disabled so if they want the books back they will need to collect them direct from you.

Snow sorry the internet is still being a pain, are you in a long contract with them or will you be able to switch when you move?? could be that due to the problems the exchange has slowed the speed down and hopefully it will clear in the next day or two.

been to see my nan....... she is not good and i think it will be the last time i see her, i was nearly crying when i said goodbye but held it together. did run into my dads family, haven't seen 1 of them for 22 years LoL, didn't say a lot to them

((griff)) so sorry to hear about your nan.

I'm not locked into any contract with bt I've been with them about errrmmm 10 years+ after having had appalling service from a couple of other internet providers I did swear I'd never leave bt again and to be fair for the past 10+ I have been more than happy with them however this past month has been nothing but problems and talking to indian tech support who know eff all about computers or about bt contracts. I'm also not happy that they think it's OK to tell me that my "line profile" has dropped because of the constant disconnects and that it wont start to rise until I've gone 3 days without a disconnect - W. T. F. ?? why cant they RESET it to what it was BEFORE they started all this mucking about???? My line can definately handle the speed as its been doing so quite happily for the past 10 years!

The bungalow is very close to the exchange and is in a cable area, so I can take my pick from any isp out there, I'm definately considering fibre optic but I want unthrottled, unlimited, and definately NO traffic shaping the only one offering that is O2 they claim I'll get up to 70mbs in theory but will "guarantee" 40mbs ...I'm still researching as whichever one I pick will lock me into a contract and I want to get it right.

To put it in context according to the line speed test I just did I could get 7mbs here but at the moment am about 5mbs (and my response to those results was ... like hell!! lol)

oh dear Snow, it doesn't sound good, we were leaving virgin due to cost increases and thought easy to pop the broadband onto the bt contract....... yeah right, the price they gave of 13 quid rose to £27 a month...... when we tried to cancel it took weeks and weeks to sort, i have gone with plusnet but we don't watch stuff online and just tend to surf and email so 60gb is plenty for us...... i think i have only reached 3gb in the past