UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

July's Jolly Jests

merledogs

Goodness, so it is...

Hello, am back from me 'olidays :wave4:

Marion, I went to Keswick and waved as I went past (I think) your street (I also went round the pencil museum). We managed to avoid the worst of the rain, the day of torrential downpour we were in Ingleton and it was nice and dry there, only realised heading to Kendal later just how much rain had fallen :confused:

Molly and Glen had fun and did very well in the three days of agility competition that we did.

2-23.jpg

1-26.jpg

• Like 2

Started walking through the bullock field this morning but the bullocks were blocking the way. That was fine, they ignored us yesterday when we walked within six feet of them, so we'll just go round them. Bullocks had other ideas and started walking towards us, so we side swerved through the stile into the cow field. The bullocks were very inquisitive, so we stood the other side of the stile looking at them. They were very interested in the dogs. The one with the white face is the ringleader :wub:

bullocks.jpg

Next thing I know the cows are flanking us on the other side and we got caught in a pincer movement between them and the bulls, so we beat a hasty retreat. The cows were only coming to see their mates but I didn't want to get caught in the middle of them with four dogs.

cowsnbullocks.jpg

(You can see the stile in between the middle of the cows and bullocks.)

The cutest moment was when Taffy and a bullock were literally nose to nose sniffing each other :wub: I don't know who was more shocked. A couple of years ago he'd have been chasing/barking if I had him that close - he's come such a long way with a bit of training and I'm so proud of my boy :wub: (ETA: Taffy was one side of the stile and the bullock the other, I wouldn't let him run into the middle of them).

Well done Molly and Glen :flowers:

Edited by merledogs
  • Like 1

Wowser Molly & Glen did very well. Well done to all

Eek to Alex glad you all managed to get out of the field ok.

I have gone mad in the garden. Trotted out to do one part but had to walk through another bit which looked a mess so started on that instead. Have weeded, chopped back loads of shrubs and part of a tree down

I would have been scared stiff in that situation, Alex. Well done you and your dogs for keeping calm.

I did go to the canal festival which was lovely and had a narrow boat trip up the canal and walked back. On the way up we were discussing the complete lack of waterfowl except for a heron, when last year there were many families of duck, coot and moorhen. On the stroll back, I discovered why. A mink came out of the water and crossed the towpath into woodland. There were a couple of people fishing and I asked them if they had seen it, and they had but didn't know what it was. I explained it was a mink and said I hoped it was the only one because if they start breeding they can clear everything else out including water voles. Then it appeared again followed by 4 youngsters and they all dived in and swam to the other side. I said this is very bad news and no wonder no waterfowl had bred. Then this young woman who was fishing went ballistic and said "They are only little babies, why don't you leave them alone, they have as much right to live as you, I believe in animal rights but you hate animals and just want to kill them etc etc." If I could have got a word I would have explained the mink situation as she obviously had no clue that they are not native, but she was tearful and really distraught. Never argue with a hysterical woman with bucket of maggots in hand.Thought it strange that such a keen animal rights person was angling, but there you go. So off I went feeling like an evil monster and had a chat with the canal wildlife team who had been wondering why all the resident creatures had gone. I hope the mink don't take over any more of the canal. They are beautiful, just in the wrong place. There is nothing except them and a heron on 3 miles of waterway. :unsure:

Wispa had to stay at home, as a towpath with cyclists and dogs is no place for her. Good thing too, Wispa v angry mink mum eeek! So will trundle off into the woods in a bit and hope I don't manage to offend anyone else. :confused:

Not only random but worrying! It wasn't me, by the way.

We went down the woods and found a lady looking for her lost dog, so did some unexpected work. Got the trail which was leading towards some local stables when we met a couple who told us the dog had indeed gone to the stables and had been collected from there by the dog warden half an hour earlier. Pity we didn't get to her in time, could have saved owner £75. Very pleased she was found, poor old girl is 15 and blind and a bit confused.

Moaning :tired:

Glad the dog was found Phebe :flowers:

Amy - that does sound odd. I'd report it to the Police just in case it's linked to any crimes :flowers:

Day off today. Not sure what to do with myself. I do need to go to B&Q so will probably do that. Hoping I get an email to tell me my roses are ready for collection from Altrincham Garden Centre.

Well after some sunshine we are back to grey and drizzly weather today. Three very unimpressed cats.

Owl, don't feel bad, she just sounds a bit *confused* :-)

Glad doglet was found, clever Owl and Wispa.

Alex, I wish I had your motivation, can you bottle it and sell it? You could easily give up work for life!

That sounds very peculiar Amy.

Owl that woman sounds as though she is right un. Into animal rights but happy to hook a fish on a nasty barb - really!

I've had a rotten weekend with the abscess under my tooth but it's calmed down now, thank goodness.

Alex I love the photos of the bullocks. We lived next door to a field in our last house and there were often bullocks in it. They would come to the fence and watch us having our meals at the dining table - we had floor to ceiling windows so they got a really good view. We didn't eat beef much whilst we lived there.

edited for carp spelling - access under my tooth. LOL

Edited by Yantan