UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs In Cars

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Dogs in Cars  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the boot behind a dog guard and unsecured for my two, I have a friend who's dogs were very nearly killed traveling like this tho' she was rear ended and the whole of her boot concerteena'd in, the dogs were unhurt but if they had been bigger she reckons they would have been squashed, hers travel on the back seat in harnesses now.

Mine travel in the Jeep, back seats folded down (in fact I don't remember the last time they were up!), they are behind a dog guard and I also have a tailgate guard. Have thought about getting a specially fitted crate, I think Hamster Bastket make them. The problem we have when we go to France we move the tailgate guard back a bit to make room for luggage between the back of the front seats and the guard, also the spare tyre is inside the car and a crate would necessitate getting 3 large dogs and crate out of the car, which I don't think I'd fancy trying to faff around with on a busy road or motorway. I guess you weigh up the pros and cons and then make a decision.

I know of someone who had dogs in a cage in the boot and one loose in the car. She was involved in an accident on the motorway and had to be cut out of the car.

The dog in the cage were safe and contained but the one in the car was terrifed by the noise made by the machinery cutting the car, As soon as it saw a gap it bolted out of the car, across the carriageway and was hit by traffic and killed.

I have two 'sections' for dogs in my car. I have an estate car and have a dog guard behind back seats and tailgate guard on the boot. I also have a dog guard and central dog guard behind the front seats, so some of them can travel on the back seats. I would like to have them crated but there is no way I would fit crates to hold them all in my car.

Very occasionally I allow one of them onto the front passenger seat in a harness attached to the seat belt.

Voted something other.

Mine travel in a cage fitted for the car, it is portable in a sense (it can be folded down and taken out) but is designed for my Peugeot Partner.

Meant to add to this, the cage has doors at both long ends so if the boot couldn't open for some reason I could still get them out. :)

29sep2.jpg

It has a middle section if I want to split the dogs up, or if I was transporting rescues.

Edited by sanrossscot

I think I have thought of all options

Our Jack Russell travels in the boot of my car or hubbys Freelander - she hops in curls up with her biscuit and goes to sleep, Sky our Border collie pup is put on a lead clipped to the meatl hook we both have in the boot - he can turnaround and wealk about on the lead - he likes to sit up in the middle next to a sleeping jazz and watch all the traffic - he loves night driving and watches the lights - he has yet to sleep in the car but jazz has it down toa fine art and looks refreshed Sky still looks amazed but he is only 7 months!

I have a small hatchback - I have the back seats folded down, and Sophie (and Morse and Smudge when they are coming with me) travels in the back. There is a dog bed and a couple of duvets in the back for the dogs. I have two short leads (one either side of the car) attached to d-rings in the back that I secure the dogs to. The leads are short enough that the dogs can't get through to the front seat, or tangle with each other (they're about 1.5 feet long each), but long enough to allow them to move a bit to get comfortable. The leads are normally attached to their collars, but I keep thinking it should really be to harnesses to protect their necks in the case of an accident..

My dogs travel behind a dog guard in the boot of my car. I have a tailgate guard as well, to stop them jumping out.

Saying that, I once transported a puppy, which was so scared in the boot, that it poo'ed and pee'ed everywhere and screamed it's head off. Which is very distracting for the driver.

So I moved it to the back seat. I didn't have a harness with me, so I attached a lead to its collar and fastened it to the head rest.

I am can imagine that in case of an accident the pup would have had serious injuries (neck area) or had even died. But it was clearly very distressed in the boot, so I made the choice of taking the risk, as the screaming stressed me out too.

At the moment Jack travels on the front seat, generally asleep, sometimes with his head out of the window :wub:

I know it is dangerous but I tried the harness attached to a seatbelt option and he hated it and got VERY stressed, however I am hopefully getting a new (to me!) car sometime soon and will be getting a dog guard to go between the front and back seats and working out a harness option that he is happy with :)

Edited by sparkle

We have just got a new van and have had crates put in it,

they have the back doors as well

so if i could not get them out i can get to the back of the crates and get to my dogs

they are fitted to- so if the car was to roll the crates i hope would not move

Mine usually travel in the boot, loose behind a guard, but I also have harnesses for rear seat travel if necessary. However, I must admit that they used to travel loose in the car, often with heads out the window, ears and tongue flapping in the wind :ohmy: At the time, I just didn't see the danger :wacko:

I have the back seats down and have a normal guard and another one between the front seats. Mine are not tied down, but all travel extreamly calmly. I have a friend I give lifts to occationally and her's are tied with leads as they bounce!! :laugh:

I don't have any guards on the boot or doors as they are trained to not jump out until I allow them.