UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs In Cars

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Dogs in Cars  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My dogs travel wearing harnesses, attached to leads which are secured to the D rings in the boot of my estate car, behind a mesh dog guard.

If they *have* to travel in the back seat of the car, they wear their harnesses and are attached using a seatbelt attachment. They rarely travel in the front of the car but, again, if they really have to, they will again be secured using the harness and seatbelt attachment.

The lives of both my dogs and my children (who almost always travel in the car at the same time as the dogs) are too important to not take every safety measure possible to avoid injury/death in an accident :(

Mine travel in the boot, without a dog guard. On the odd occassion when I have had to brake suddenly, they've just moved around a bit and come to no harm. There isn't much space in between the back seat and the roof, so can't fit a guard, but as such, the boot is deep enough that the dogs can't actually go anywhere. And my two are older and curl up and sleep in the car.

But when I am transporting a dog, it goes in the softcrate. Due to the roof height issue, I have a softcrate as I wouldn't get a large metal crate in the car, but the one I have wedges in nice and safely.

I voted in the boot behind a dog guard (maufacturer fitted) but they also wear harnesses with leads which attach to anchor points in the car so they can't easily escape in a crash and get run over. They should be easily released in an emergency too. I'd love a filled crate/ tailguard but things are up in the air car-wise and money wise so that will have to wait!

Billy sometimes travels on the back seat in a harness attached to the seatbelt as it is much more fitting for a dog of his calibre to travel with the hoomans! :rolleyes:

A friend crashed her car badly and tipped it over by hitting a curb at a bad angle - dogs secured in the crate in the boot were unharmed.

Winter months = car: Lucy and Jed in the boot, harnessed to the D rings. Toastie on the back seat harnessed to the seat belt anchor point. (bought some brilliant leads for harnesses a few years back in the £1 shop - clip for the harness on one end and a thing that attaches to the seat belt anchor the other, so the actual seat belts can stay clean (and in Jed's case unchewed).

Summer months = camper van: Lucy and Jed harnessed to the seat belt points - dog bed on floor to raise it to the seat level so there is plenty of room for them. Toastie in the passenger seat harnessed to the seat belt.

The reason Toastie travels seperately is that he is 7.5kilos, and could easily be squashed by Lucy (26.5 kg) and Jed (30kg).

I have a metal crate for transport runs, but my 2 just go in the boot. I used to have a dog guard but I am lazy and cheap, and haven't bought one for the Saab yet. This is mostly because the Saab has 3 very sturdy back headrests, and even if I hit something hard enough that my dogs were flung in the air, they would bounce off the padded headrests, and they are too big to climb through between them.

So I suppose I sort of have a dog guard even though it's not really one. If that makes sense.

with the seats in normal position in the jeep, a large crate fills the entire boot space so its firmly wedged in. if im carrying a larger dog, then a member of staff comes with me, with the dog secured by one long lead to one of the grab handles with a second lead attatched to the member of staff who is belted in.