UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Dogs In Cars

Happylittlegreensquirrel

Dogs in Cars  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so dense I forget to say what I do

now all my 3 are in the boot of our estate ( behind a dog guard ) but when I first had Holly she often sat on the back seat with Aisling because I did not actually think of what might happen in a accident and Holly was so nervous that she liked snuggling with Aisling so I thought I was doing the best for her

One day there was a thread on Dogpages about this very subject and people were explaining all about what could happen in an accident and it was really really something I had not thought of , so then she had a car harness and when I brought my next car I brought an estate so I could get a proper dog guard fitted

I am sure that no one here would knowingly put there dogs , passengers or them selves in danger but it's not a subject that everyone thinks about

Oh heck this and the other thread have made me really think.Mine are loose with one of those sling things on the back seat,never ever thought about them escaping after an accident :( So as I drive a Micra and a crate won't fit what sort of harness should they wear? Have had a google but there are so many types available.It needs to give them a bit of room to move round.They used to travel in the boot behind a guard but it got so hot in there in summer I moved them.

I use a trail harness from TRPD, use it for walking them as well. I attach them to the seatbelts, the part that doesn't move, by leads and have the lead as long or short as I want. My dogs can move round a little, in fact they can get to the window on the other side.

Gracie as the oldest, about 15, travels on the front seat so that she doesn't get trodden on, but I put things in the footwell to bring the height up for her in case she falls off.

I've always just put Mason in the backseat unsecured because being an ex-racer he's a seasoned traveller and just lies down and sleeps, I've never thought about an accident though! Now I'll have to rethink.

Will say though having him in the back of my Skoda had hilarious results one day when two 'yoofs' bumped the back of my car when I was stationary at a set of lights. I looked round to see them laughing their heads off about it until my very large dog stood up in the back to glower at them...I've never seen two guys faces change so quickly :wink: They suddenly became very apologetic.

Marie