UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November Nearly Christmas

Jazz

blackmagic it's murder trying to get Archie to take stuff. I can't doctor his food as he just refuses to eat it, trying to give him tablets or liquid meds really stresses him out and I feel I do enough of that giving him his antacid. I was giving him green lipped mussel powder via tinned mackerel fillets but he went off the mackerel and won't eat it now. I had him on YuMove but I can't hide it in cheese because he can't have cheese, he was taking it with a bit of turkey wrapped round the tablets but then got wise and just kept spitting the tabs out. Anything else that he might find tasty tends to have a lot of fat in it and that's a trigger for his reflux. It doesn't matter if things are supposed to be flavoured so they appeal to a dog - it doesn't work with our Archie!

I am in the same boat with dex..he is supposed to have 3 medicines, 2 of them twice a day...he is being so difficult with his food, what he eats one day he doesn't want the next so I am struggling with his meds, I am supposed to give him prescription food because of his skin , tummy and kidneys but I have just been giving him anything he wants..he goes nuts for dreamies... Will happily scoff those until they come out of his ears, I am thinking of just buying a shed load of packets and letting him eat those

Hoping Jazz is having a special evening with Jerry xx

My current lot are ok with meds in cheese spread though I've always tried to get liquid ones with previous dogs and just syringe it down their throats. Tiffy, especially, could hold a tablet in her throat for 20 minutes then spit it out. Don't know how it didn't dissolve in that time, but it really didn't. Miss my little madam.

Griff, I doubt Steve would go back to loonie tunes just because of the colour of her hair. I'm sure he values your friendship more

Just seen your post Jazz. You cry all you want to, and I'll be thinking of you at 10.40 tomorrow - all love to you and the lovely Jerry xx

Edited by eve

Dogs seem to like cat food for some reason, maybe that would work.

I had one golden who chewed all her food so anything 'foreign' was spat out. She would take a bit of cheese with a pill in it, eat the cheese then look at me and spit the pill out.

Cream cheese she swallowed and still spat the pill out.

I tried pushing it down her throat as far as my fingers would reach but she would walk away, cough and spit it out.

I eventually worked out a solution. A a couple of undoctored treats- usually a samll pice of bread, a piece with a pill init and then a plain piece again.

I would have these set out ready and as she took the first I immediately offered the second, then the third etc. SHe was so intent on swallowing one to get the next one she didn't notice the pill.

All my others have been gannet who ate anything offered to them. One of my dallie even ate orange peel.

It is never is easy to help a pet on their way but it is the last gift of love we can give them.

"Today you did the bravest thing ".
by Debbie Gaskin

Today you did the bravest thing,

today you set me free.

Thank you for showing me the ultimate dignity.

I'm sorry that my leaving has broken your kind heart.

But we knew this day would come, the day we had to part.

Don't think I did not hear every last word you said.

Don't think I did not feel,your trembling hand touch my head.

Today you did the bravest thing,

today you set me free.

Thank you for a wonderful life,

thank you for loving me. ❤

• Like 1

i put pills in their food, they all eat it. if they need one in the evening, they all get a treat, they all eat it quick so the others dont get it, so the doctored one gets swallowed

thank you for your thoughts. merlin lay with her earlier, they were the same size but merlin looks huge next to her now

Oh Jazz, a pity no one can come with you. We are all too far away xx

Off to vet in a while with Wispa and a mouse. The mouse will be dropped off at the first woodland outside the village. They have become used to the peppermint and have renewed their assault. After road testing various traps, the only one which will catch these is the good old Triptrap. The mechanism on the others is not sensitive enough for these lightweights. I will just have to get more Triptraps and carry on catching.