UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

November Nearly Christmas

Jazz

Did you hit the free access button right at the top of the page or the one further down that says "start your free trial"? If you can't find your way to the Civil registration indexes PM what you information you have about your mother and I will look for you.

• Like 1

@Jazz "Roofs is the plural of roof in all varieties of English. Rooves is an old secondary form, and it still appears occasionally by analogy with other irregular plurals such as hooves, but it is not common enough to be considered standard."

I had to look it up as I thought it was roofs.

I met an interesting person today. I went to Castle Donnington services on M1 to pick up a spaniel on a transport relay and handed him over at Blyth, my local services. A man was watching the handover and he had a dog with him so I spoke to him and fussed the dog, who was a failed guide dog and very friendly. We got chatting and it turned out that he is boss of a firm that does tracking devices, and he developed the first one for dogs, Dogtracker Nano. He also knows Jayne from Doglost and met her years ago to discuss tracking devices. He was on a journey from Essex to Penrith.

• Like 1

she did. just been spayed and stitches in her face, got a buster collar on. got her out of the car, she pulled out of the collar and was gone for 4 days

hell. something has gone in my shoulder again. not much sleep. ill attempt to get an appointment at the doctors

Griff, I hope you are feeling better today..shame you have to wait so long for an appointment, same for you Jazz.

Yantan, I tried your suggestions for tracking down ancestors..nope, I was definitely hatched! Or maybe I beamed down from an alien starship, I certainly don't feel as if I belong amongst earthlings most of the time.

Now I've been on these flaming tablets for longer, I think the nastier effects are kicking in...not the physical ones so much as mental. My temper seems to be on a hair trigger, my patience (never that brilliant) is wafer thin and my memory is shot. (who are you lot again?) All the symptoms of the menopause, in other words, the ones I never had as I took HRT. If this is going to continue the pills are going, whilst I still have a marriage and dog who isn't afraid of me, I've shouted at poor Candy when she didn't deserve it and Philip asks with increasing impatience if I'm feeling ok after I've bitten his head off for some trivial thing. I do have some diazepam in a drawer, but I don't like the way it makes me feel. Might be a last resort.

Edited by suzeanna

Oh heck Suzeanne. You sound like me - I didn't take HRT - my friend bought me a sticker for the car which says 0 to bitch in 3.4 seconds. Do you want me to try searching for you family? I like genealogical mysteries and have solved a few of my own and helped others with theirs. The truth is out there!

Yantan, I might ask for help at some point. I did join Ancestry but havent' done much with it. A friend has traced some of my family tree and can transfer it to the tree I am making, but that bit is relatively easy as that line lived in the same area for centuries. The man of mystery who I want to follow up is maternal grandfather's father. He doesn't look like a local man to the area, and in fact he looks like a resident of West Wales. Great gran came from a relatively well-to-do family of mining engineers in South Yorkshire, but according to an aunt they cut her off when she married an itinerant farm labourer for love. Surname was Matthews which is common in Wales as well as England.

• Like 1

My mother's maiden name was Laddle, put than in a search and you get "do you mean Ladle?" erm no, I meant what I said! Her father was a captain/master in the Merchant Navy and I did find a census record of the family, but no mention of her, just her brothers and sister. Unfortunately after my dad died, she moved from Yorkshire down to Sussex and didn't keep in touch with any of her family and certainly not with his parents or sister as she didn't like them. Thanks for the offer, Yantan but having got to this age, I might as well stay in ignorance!

Eve, I won't take you up on that, you might well regret it!

I'm going to try to chill out a bit now with some nice loud music, George Thoroughgood for starters I think.

• Like 1