UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Harvest Festival Of Sharing

Yantan

What a time this is for bad news. At the end of last week a member of Ruby's staff didn't turn into work, It turned out his 20 year old son had been a passenger in an awful car smash and had been impaled by not one but TWO fence poles! One through the chest and it had shoved his heart over and the other through his lower tummy area and it had taken out part of his bowel.

He was flown by air ambulance to Newcastle where, as luck would have it, the head of the surgical departments for cardio and the bowel area were in the hospital. They operated on him but did not expect the lad to last the night but he's still with us a few days later, though very ill. It was a stupid totally preventable accident which was down to stupidity and speeding. The driver was completely unhurt.

And then today we have found out an old friend of ours has lost her 26 year old daughter, set to become her son as she/he had just started gender reassignment. It appears that it was suicide :mecry:

They say things happen in threes but I hope that's not true.

Have been reading but not felt like posting.

4 weeks ago JIm became dizzy and very sick. After three hours he was no better so called NHS 24. After answer 101 questions was told call would be passed to medical adviser. Call back in up to three hours!

Call came 2 hrs 55 minutes later and asked same questions again. Then said he need to see a GP, could he come into the care hub- 8pm on a Sunday night, hub 20 miles away. Said no, so she said would contact the on call locum. We come under NHS 24 at weekends only but there is a locum on call for our rural area. So we are half and half.

The locum called us 5 minutes later for directions.

She diagnosed labyrinthitis.

There is no treatment for it as it is caused by a virus , only treatment to counteract the dizziness and the sickness. It lasts anything from 3 weeks to 2 months.

The locum was disgusted at the service fromNHS 24. She had been down our way when we originally called at 5 .15pm and could have been here in 5 minutes. She had just returned to her B&B 20 miles away when she was called out.

Things have continued with dizziness and bouts of sickness with out warning. it is like being seasick and rather unpleasant.

However, this last week he has been light headed rather than dizzy and since Saturday has felt normal , at last.

So it has been a tough 4 weeks

We have since heard of two others locally who have the same thing.

Two weeks ago I was coming home from agility , in the dark, when a large log lorry hit me when we met on a corner. The wing mirror was mangled but other wise no damage but there was an almighty BANG when he hit me.

Then last week the car seemed rather noisy but drove okay there. As I set off home it got much worse so I turned back to the hall. Better to be stranded there than ona rural, unlit road.

I had a flat tyre. One of the men changed the wheel for me by the light of his phone.

JIm says I am not safe to be let out alone!

So it has been an eventful time and an expensive one - filled the dogs' freezer with raw food, 4 new tyres and a new electric wing mirror, then a vet visit with Cleo as she was scratching all the time

Good that Steve kept his head. I don't envy bus drivers nowadays.

I hope you don't get any more bad news , Yantan.

Meeces are very resourceful. We have traps in the garage and they regularly remove the peanut butter without tripping the traps. These little field mice are so light.

So sorry about two lots of tragic news, Yantan.

I have had 2 friends go through gender reassignment, one in each direction. The process is very tough on the individuals concerned and on all around them. Both of my friends got through it ok but they were older and also very strong characters.

Well done Steve for staying calm through the incident.

I have had the first day in ages when I have not been fighting fatigue and breathlessness plus aching all over. Probably the improvement is due to CDB oil plus getting some more gingko extract which I had run out of. We did a walk on the reserve which usually takes us 50 mins, 45 on a good day, in 32 mins. It was a footpath alongside a fields so I could see far enough to let Wispa off lead, and she was running around happily.

Gosh blackmagic, I am sorry to hear about Jim and hope he gets over the labyrinthitis sooner rather than later. It sounds horrible. Please tell Jim I am rooting for him. Its no wonder the NHS is in the state it is. Too many chiefs, too many stupid ideas. Lets get back to basics! Fingers crossed there are no more expensive run-in's for you.

Owl I have been thinking about trying CDB oil. Would you mind sharing where you get yours from?

Edited by Yantan

Archie has still not used his new bed.That was a £160 well spent!

It's grey and miserable here - again.

Cara showed me round their campervan to see the improvements when I met up with them on Sunday. When the back doors are open you are faced with a wooden wall with a castle door in the bottom and a wooden shutters at the top. Evie's bed is in the top half behind the shutters and her little den, where she has a desk, books, toys etc,, is in behind the castle door. They've also installed a diddy little wood burner so they can do winter camping and it keeps the van all warm and toasty.