UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

October's Harvest Festival Of Sharing

Yantan

A colleague of mine at the RNIB had shock treatment. It was ridiculous because it was plain to us all why she was depressed. She was in her mid thirties and lived with a controlling mother who would not let her have any kind of a life. After the shock treatment she forgot Braille so could not continue working in Braille publishing, which made her even more depressed.

My grandmother had shock treatment which did get rid of her depression. She adopted a cheerful approach to the shoplifting and fraud which she used to feel guilty about, and branched out into burglary and tyre slashing and generally had a whale of a time. When my mother remonstrated with her, she just said that no one would miss the things she took. We actually begged the police to arrest her because it was the only thing that would have stopped her, but they said they could not arrest a woman of 87. In the end she died of a heart attack while choking on a piece of toast, in hospital where she was recovering from a fall from ladder while trying to enter a neighbour's house via upstairs window.

• Like 1

Best to get it done Yantan! I have the beginning of a chest infection I think but I am keeping my mouth shut as Steve and I are supposed to be going out tomorrow for something to eat, he is going to work but as he finishes early we are meeting later for a Groupon meal I got...either 2 pizzas or burgers and a pint each and it cost me £15 I think

how rediculous. rung up for a doctors appoinment today. if today its a emergency, so my appmt is in 10 minutes. cant get there that quick so it cant be an emergency. cant book a general appmtfor tomorrow so id have to ring as an emergency and have to be there for 10 minutes ..... my elbow is so swollen i cant movemy arm, so cant get dressed. not happy

You need a home visit, Jazz. They can't expect you to get to the surgery in your condition!

Owl, if they made a sitcom of your stories, no one would believe them! My mother shoplifted a couple of times when she had the menopause and it made her rather loopy, but she never attempted breaking and entering.

Sad story online and in the paper, a litter of newborn French bulldog pups stolen from their home at knife point, only a day old. Must be either druggies or brain dead morons, not to realise that pups that age won't survive without their mother. Seem to be a lot of this breed being stolen, pugs too.

Saw the story of the pups Suzeanna, heartbreaking for them.

Jazz, does your surgery not do home visits? If not, just get yourseld down there and stand in front of the receptionist phoning from your mobile.

Love your stories Owl, you really should write a book. I love your dry humour and the matter of fact way you tell it.

Hope you get your meal out Griff.

• Like 1

I read about these pups. The breeder publicised the pups arrival, including pictures, on her facebook page.

The thieves took the pups away in an incubator so knew what they were doing. Probably had a brood bitch to take them to.

French bulldogs sell for silly money.

Jazz, if you cannot get an appointment get yourself down to A& E.

Owl you have an interesting life, past and present. You really should write it all down.

I hope you have a good meal, Griff, but don't ignore your health.

Hope you can get an appointment, Jazz.

Not so sure about writing a book. There are a lot of things I would rather forget, a lot of situations which I was stupid to get into, and a number of things which no one would ever believe. I am truly grateful that there was no Facebook when I was young so the sillier things in my life can sink without trace.

I am trying to collate my dog tracking experiences but there are 10 years of them and I have not kept very good notes.

I was invited for a flu jab, but I've spoken to so many people who had one in previous years and got the flu regardless, I said no thanks.

I went out to wait for the bus yesterday to go to the optician for my eye test. Bus comes at 9.30, which is the earliest you can use your bus pass. Someone in the queue said the other day bus arrived, elderly lady got on and took out her pass and he said no, it's a minute to go yet and made her pay! He made everyone pay except the last two men waiting, as it was 9.30 by then. What a barsteward! I'd have had to miss it if this one did the same as I didn't have any cash on me. If I'd been there the other day I'd have pointed out that he was a minute early so ruddy well wait! Oh..eye test was fine, my eyes haven't changed in the last 8 years, rather to her surprise. I do wear specs to read, meant to wear a different pair to drive but I always forget and I've not had an accident yet.

I've had a flu jab for the last 25 years and never got it. I did fairly frequently before that. I believe the vaccine isn't 100% reliable and some years are worse than others depending on whether or not they manage to encompass all the strains of flu but having the vaccine also means you get a milder dose of flu if you are still unlucky enough to contract it.

Has anyone got a blast of this cold weather yet?